• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NYT: The Master's as a new Bachelor's

tau.reanb

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

Just thought people would want to know, but USF was cited in a recent article by the New York Times about the growing abundance of Master's degree programs.  Specifically, it cites our Master's program in History.  Good read all around though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/education/edlife/edl-24masters-t.html?_r=1&ref=us&src=me&pagewanted=all

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Pretty good article. I got my Masters for this reason, the Bachelors isn't enough to easily get into an advanced - or overpopulated - field. I got a lot of "You have a Masters and you're how old? [23 at the time]" during interviews. It definitely gave me a leg up.

I'm not so sure why this article talks so much about a History major. History majors in particular are often laughed at, for better or worse, so it's not surprising to hear the entry level is getting higher, nor is it surprising that it's underpaid.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Pretty good article. I got my Masters for this reason, the Bachelors isn't enough to easily get into an advanced - or overpopulated - field. I got a lot of "You have a Masters and you're how old? [23 at the time]" during interviews. It definitely gave me a leg up.

I'm not so sure why this article talks so much about a History major. History majors in particular are often laughed at, for better or worse, so it's not surprising to hear the entry level is getting higher, nor is it surprising that it's underpaid.

Why do you say that, out of curiosity?  First I've ever heard of that ... that's my B.A.  from USF.  One thing I can agree with is that unless you plan on teaching or using it as a stepping stone to further education, it's a pretty useless degree to have. 

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Why do you say that, out of curiosity?  First I've ever heard of that ... that's my B.A.  from USF.  One thing I can agree with is that unless you plan on teaching or using it as a stepping stone to further education, it's a pretty useless degree to have. 

Well, I've heard that for precisely the reason you state.

Some degrees, in a sandbox, are just viewed as useless and are laughed at. History is one of the pre-eminent ones. Not to say it actually IS useless. But, I wouldn't use a history major in this article.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

got a master's in engineering.  doing ok

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

bachelor's degree is squat unless it's a specific technical field like engineering.  surprised there aren't more bach/master's programs combined for people to get both before graduation.

• Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Just thought people would want to know, but USF was cited in a recent article by the New York Times about the growing abundance of Master's degree programs.  Specifically, it cites our Master's program in History.  Good read all around though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/education/edlife/edl-24masters-t.html?_r=1&ref=us&src=me&pagewanted=all

Fail

Correction: July 28, 2011

An earlier version of this article misidentified the university that is revamping its master’s in public history. It is the University of Central Florida, not the University of South Florida.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/education/edlife/edl-24masters-t.html?_r=2&ref=us&src=me&pagewanted=all

Archived