• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz: a future HOF Coach

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

Been listening to Sirius College Sports lately since the 1010 and 620 signals are fuzzy on my drive to/from work.

Very little USF talk on their airwaves. Today was the first I believe I've heard them mention USF. The show was talking about possible HOF coaches in the future and current coaches that were a few "big bowl" games away from becoming HOF caliber coaches. A caller said Skip is a potential with his ECU past and if he did good things at USF.

Host went on to say that he could be a potential HOF coach if he had success at USF and then moved on to a bigger program in 4 or so years and had success there too.

So since its a slow off season I'm bringing up a few questions...You think Skip will move on to bigger things if they came calling? Do you think he could be a HOF coach with great success @ USF alone and what would he need to be a HOF coach is he had a long tenure here at USF?

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

As long as his Dad lives in Orlando he'll be here.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Too early to be talking about a HOF coach. He has one year under his belt in a BCS conference. Let him win a few BCS level conferences and a few BCS games. How about a few top ten finishes before talk like that begins.

Guest nybullsfan

That's easy. Just look at Bowden's career. FSU at the time he started wasn't so different from USF now. If Skip can duplicate BB's success, he'll stay with USF and will be a first-vote HOF lock.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

That's easy. Just look at Bowden's career. FSU at the time he started wasn't so different from USF now. If Skip can duplicate BB's success, he'll stay with USF and will be a first-vote HOF lock.

If anyone can duplicate Bowden's success, they willbe a HOF coach.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

One would think that USF is in a great position, due to location and surrounding local talent, to be extremely successful at the BCS level.  That said, it will take some serious hard work to get there, especially competing w/ the more established BCS teams in the state.  But it can be done. 

I would think Holtz could make a great living and build a real legend here at USF, just by continuing to win.  He's kind of a hard guy to read if he would jump at a larger school, but at this point, I wouldn't be devastated if that happened.  For Holtz to have a larger school as a suitor, that would mean USF had a great couple of years, including a championship of some sort.  That would make it attractive for the next good coach to come here and keep it going. 

All that said to say - I'd love it if Holtz saw some success here, stayed for a long time and created a winning legacy for the school.  If he didn't stay and got called to a different program, that's fine too, as long as he left USF better off than it was when he got here. 

• Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

I won't address the HOF thing.  I think that requires so many assumptions their is no way to make a good argument.

I do think Skip would probably leave if bigger schools came calling, but its not a definite.  You want to be able to win at the highest level, and we all feel that can be done at USF.  Most likely any suitors wont be calling for a couple years.  Their are some things in the near future for USF and college football that could change what leaving would mean in 4 or 5 years.  Their may still be conference shakeups, the current BCS format expires in 2014, and we are soon going to be officially begin looking into an OCS.

Any potential conference and BCS changes could improve or weaken our outlook towards winning the whole thing.  A BCS plus one game could be good, but if we are left on the wrong side of another Big East raid we are considerably weakened.  If things remain status quo, we are in a fair situation but will almost always be passed over for a MNC game bid to any other BCS conference teams who have the same record as us.

The idea of being the coach who is here when we build new practice fields, an indoor facility, an OCS, etc probably does offset the money that bigger programs would throw at him to some degree as would the idea of coaching in a more stable situation, but those things only matter if he feels he can win at the highest level, and if we can get B.I.T.S.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Answer to question #1...yes

Answer to question #2...multiple BE championships, BCS Bowl wins & a NC wouldn't hurt. 

• Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

I think he will stay awhile, but if ND ever comes calling that could be tough. Hopefully they don't ever

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Well ... way too early to talk HOF.

Coach and his wife have family here ... hope we stays here and builds a strong foundation.

He has a strong tie to Notre Dame, his home is FILLED with Notre Dame stuff.

I do feel good about him staying here and building his own legend. He came here without really negotiating, so I don't think money will be a factor.

Archived