• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Keep "USF" but change the name to the "University of the State of Florida"

Guest nybullsfan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

USF-St. Pete is already semi-independent of USF and is a separately accredited institution, but it is part of the USF System and uses the USF "brand."  USF Poly and USF Manatee/Sarasota I think are still branches and also part of the USF system with the main campus in Tampa.  I think the game plan is to eventually get Lakeland and Sarasota campuses independent just like St. Pete.; get them financially operating on their own and not a financial drain on Tampa.  I like the idea of all the locations being part of the "system" which gives USF an overall bigger footprint in Florida.  I don't think any of the USF campuses will spin completely free of USF like FGCU and New College and become separate universities in addition to the existing 11 universities in the Fl. state university system.  Too it's been over 30 years since a new community college has been opened in Florida--I'm pretty sure Pasco-Hernando CC was the last to open in Florida in the 1970's. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,039
  • Days Won:  11

USF-St. Pete is already semi-independent of USF and is a separately accredited institution, but it is part of the USF System and uses the USF "brand."  USF Poly and USF Manatee/Sarasota I think are still branches and also part of the USF system with the main campus in Tampa.  I think the game plan is to eventually get Lakeland and Sarasota campuses independent just like St. Pete.; get them financially operating on their own and not a financial drain on Tampa.  I like the idea of all the locations being part of the "system" which gives USF an overall bigger footprint in Florida.  I don't think any of the USF campuses will spin completely free of USF like FGCU and New College and become separate universities in addition to the existing 11 universities in the Fl. state university system.  Too it's been over 30 years since a new community college has been opened in Florida--I'm pretty sure Pasco-Hernando CC was the last to open in Florida in the 1970's. 

sarasota/manatee just awarded separate accreditation

http://www.bradenton.com/2011/06/28/3306743/usf-campus-wins-separate-accreditation.html

sarasota/manatee was just awarded separate accreditation

http://www.bradenton.com/2011/06/28/3306743/usf-campus-wins-separate-accreditation.html

sorry for the bad grammar

• Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

I have lived in North West Florida all my life.  To me, pretty much anything south of Gainesville/Ocala is "South" Florida. 

• Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

I vote for University of Tampa Bay, or Tampa Bay University, which is geographically accurate, captures the Bay-wide presence of the school, and aligns with the pro team identity.

• Content Count:  3,691

University of the Suncoast of Florida.

Just kidding, South Florida is fine by me.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Technically everything south of Gainesville/Ocala is "south" Florida to most...or at least south of Orlando.

Of course, Florida was two "states" at one point, where West Florida extended through AL, MS, into Louisiana, and the border was near Tally, hence why it became the current capital. To think, FL could have had New Orleans! lol

I'm cool with South Florida. It is what it is.

University of the Bay isn't horrible, or Bay University, but that one probably exists...or sounds too much like Baylor (who is also green/gold).

I always thought Gulf University would be fitting. Gulf U. The Gulf Seagulls. The Gulf Gulls. GO GULLS! We could play the Finding Nemo "mine mine mine mine" song after a fumble recovery HA.

• Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

What did UCF do when changed their name from FTU? Or FGCU from USF?

I don't think FGCU was ever part of USF.  You might be thinking of New College.

Florida Gulf Coast was part of USF back in 1980's it was USF Ft. Myers campus. 

very interesting.. did not know USF has 2 spin-off state universities, New College and FGCU

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/aug/20/fgcu_past_era_ends_usf_closes_doors_its_fort_myers/

New College is not a spin-off.  New College was going bankrupt, so USF took them over and corrected their finances.  Those ungratefull jerk-offs then claimed that USF was dragging down their achedemic reputation.  At some point, USF let them become independent again.  I do not remember why. 

very interesting.. did not know USF has 2 spin-off state universities, New College and FGCU

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/aug/20/fgcu_past_era_ends_usf_closes_doors_its_fort_myers/

New College is not a spin-off.  New College was going bankrupt, so USF took them over and corrected their finances.  Those ungratefull jerk-offs then claimed that USF was dragging down their achedemic reputation.  At some point, USF let them become independent again.  I do not remember why. 

have you seen the hippies that walk around that university? most of them look homeless and are walking around bare footed. When the two shared classrooms, you pretty much could tell which students went to USF and which went to New College. Also, what kind of college doesn't give you grades?

• Content Count:  7,693

New College is not a spin-off.  New College was going bankrupt, so USF took them over and corrected their finances.  Those ungrateful jerk-offs then claimed that USF was dragging down their academic reputation.  At some point, USF let them become independent again.  I do not remember why. 

have you seen the hippies that walk around that university? most of them look homeless and are walking around bare footed. When the two shared classrooms, you pretty much could tell which students went to USF and which went to New College. Also, what kind of college doesn't give you grades?

I don't know how New College remains operational... it is a dirty hippie school... I give it 10 more years and it will implode again and when that happens that state should give USF ward over it. It could become our special ratard campus...

Archived