• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jalen Spencer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,513
  • Days Won:  10

I'm sure that it would help everyone's ego here if Southern Cal, Florida, FSU, Notre Dame, Penn State and other 'storied' programs would have offered this guy.  However, I have complete faith in our coaching staff to go after the prospects that will get our program to the 'storied' level.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,042

I'm sure that it would help everyone's ego here if Southern Cal, Florida, FSU, Notre Dame, Penn State and other 'storied' programs would have offered this guy.  However, I have complete faith in our coaching staff to go after the prospects that will get our program to the 'storied' level.

Of course it would, that's a stupid response. If that were the case, it would mean this guy has monster talent and potential. Maybe Southern Miss, FAU, South Alabama and a couple of small schools know something about this guy that the big schools are oblivious to. Recruiting is what wins in College ball.

• Content Count:  7,513

First you agree with my response and then call it stupid?  Let me be more clear: I'll trust our coaches' evaluation of a recruit to be what is best for our program and not judge a player by which major programs are offering and I will not assume we are scraping the bottom of some barrel if they were not offered, as some on this thread have suggested.

• Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

id be happy with stealing every recruit from florida but i guess thats just me

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Jalen Spencer commits to USF

2:03 PM, Apr. 12, 2011 

Written by

D.C. Reeves

dcreeves@pnj.com

bilde?Site=DP&Date=20110412&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=110412012&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0

Pensacola High quarterback Jalen Spencer is going to the University of South Florida. / Pensacola News Journal file photo

Pensacola High quarterback Jalen Spencer has committed to play at the University of South Florida.

Spencer, the Tigers’ starting quarterback the past two seasons, is the first local football player from the class of 2012 to commit to a Division I-A school. He will be a senior next season.

He will make the switch to cornerback at the next level.

"I made my decision yesterday," said Spencer, a News Journal second-team All-Area pick last season. "(USF) came to see me last spring and they said they liked me, and their defensive backs coach (Rick Smith) liked my versatility, my athletic ability and said I could be a good cornerback."

Spencer was offered a scholarship while attending USF's Junior Day this spring. While Spencer has received interest from programs like Alabama and Florida, he was already holding offers from Southern Miss, South Alabama and USF.

Spencer piled up 1,985 yards of total offense and 23 touchdowns last season while leading PHS to the Region 1-3A final. Spencer is 26-0 as a starting quarterback winning all 26 consecutively. While he played significant time at QB, he did not start in the 2009 season-opening loss to Pine Forest or this past season's playoff loss to St. Augustine.

The only competitive time he saw in the secondary in 2009 or 2010 came in the 7-3 loss to St. Augustine.

As a sophomore in 2009, he helped the Tigers to the Class 3A state championship.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/DP/20110412/SPORTS/110412012/0/NEWS06/Jalen-Spencer-commits-USF?odyssey=nav%7Chead

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

So it sound like the big programs wanted to see more of him at defensive back. USF brought him in and saw what he can do. Also, didn't USF have good luck in taking player the Panhandle? Changing his position from a 2 star center, to a All American Defensive end.

• Content Count:  1,757

Big programs have guys looking at hundreds of kids all over the place. The ones they give scholarships to are the ones they want. I think Skip can do a heck of a job, given his type of player. Would just hope we can bull in a blue chipper here or there, and bring our talent level up to a higher level

• Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

relax its early, im sure we will get better talent this year, if the coaches like what they see well im fine with that

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

217371_200295403338558_100000742994990_556809_1810641_n.jpg

Jalen Spencer

Nate Allen was a two star HS QB who we coverted into a five star college safety.  ;)

• Content Count:  4,642

spring evaluations aren't done yet.  this kid also may not have a lot of tape circulating.  those two things are directly correlated to early ratings and more attention/offers.

he could still potentially end up with a bunch of offers.

just trust the staff - they're professionals (not a random person on a message board)

Archived