• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jalen Spencer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,079
  • Days Won:  0

Looks like we got a new commit. ATH Jalen Spencer from Pensacola. Here's some numbers on him from the Jacksonville Under Armour Combine:

Height    Weight      40      3-cone  5-10-5    Vert  Bench(225 rep)  Broad

42 Jalen Spencer 2012 Pensacola High School DB 5' 11.75" 172        4.77 7.47     4.62      28   1                   112

By his 40 time I'm guessing maybe a Safety. Nice to see we got another one under our belts...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,079

• Content Count:  1,867

Nice! Welcome to the family!!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

rec_e_spencer_600.jpg

In transition

Jalen Spencer (Pensacola, Fla./Pensacola) plays quarterback for his high school, but his future in college is at another position. He said Southern Miss, who has offered, is interested in him at wide receiver, but everyone else is expressing interest in him as a defensive back. Spencer, who said he also has an offer from USF, came to the combine to get some work at DB and gauge a bit where he was because he has really no experience at the position. However, he has good size and seems like a potential good fit there. While he was a bit raw and a transition to the secondary will require some work, he certainly did flash some of the raw tools needed to make the move. He showed good feet and was comfortable when he could play and keep everything in front of him. He also flashed a physical side for a quarterback and used his reach well to jam receivers. Where Spencer will need work is in his ability to transition. He showed good agility in his testing, but looked very uncomfortable when he needed to open up quickly and tightly change directions. He will still play quarterback this season though he hopes to get some reps in the secondary as well. He will need work and time to develop, but displayed some upside as a defensive back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6215305

• Content Count:  1,757

I hope we are just really early on these guys and that they are very good. Seems like each guy we have gotten, we have been his only offer.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I hope we are just really early on these guys and that they are very good. Seems like each guy we have gotten, we have been his only offer.

Jalen Spencer flying under the radar

November, 10, 201011/10/109:42AM ET

By Corey Long, ESPN Recruiting

Despite being the quarterback and quite possibly the most talented athlete on a reigning state championship team, there's little doubt that Jalen Spencer (Pensacola, Fla./Pensacola) is under the radar.

Much like his undefeated team, the junior quarterback seems to revel in the lack of a spotlight and uses it for motivation.

"We're a bit north and you don't really hear about the players up here like you do about the ones in Orlando or Miami," Spencer said. "But the colleges know about Pensacola and we play hard each week."

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/blog?name=long_corey&id=5787195&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2fblog%3fname%3dlong_corey%26id%3d5787195

• Content Count:  763

Jalen Spencer flying under the radar

November, 10, 201011/10/109:42AM ET

By Corey Long, ESPN Recruiting

Despite being the quarterback and quite possibly the most talented athlete on a reigning state championship team, there's little doubt that Jalen Spencer (Pensacola, Fla./Pensacola) is under the radar.

Much like his undefeated team, the junior quarterback seems to revel in the lack of a spotlight and uses it for motivation.

"We're a bit north and you don't really hear about the players up here like you do about the ones in Orlando or Miami," Spencer said. "But the colleges know about Pensacola and we play hard each week."

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/blog?name=long_corey&id=5787195&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2fblog%3fname%3dlong_corey%26id%3d5787195

Rest of the article -

That being said, there's nothing easy about defending a state championship.

"We know we are going to get each team's best shot," said Spencer. "So it's hard to defend but at the same time it can be easy because we know what to expect."

With a record of 22-1 as a starting quarterback at Pensacola, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound athlete has racked up over 1,300 total yards and 16 touchdowns going into his regular season finale.

While these numbers sound like good stats for a dual-threat quarterback, Spencer has different plans for himself in college.

"I think I'm going to be a defensive back or a safety at the next level," Spencer said. "I'm a good quarterback and I love playing the position.

"But height wise, I know I'm not exactly what the big schools are looking for at that position."

Right now Spencer says he gets a "ton" of mail through his coaches but three schools will start out in front once he gets focused on recruiting.

"Right now I'm really looking at Florida, LSU and Alabama," Spencer said. "All three are interested and they will be seeing me at camps after the season so they will get a real good look at me and I'll have a chance to check them out.

"South Florida has also gotten in touch with me quite a bit."

But for now the 2012 prospect is going to prepare himself for what's expected to be a grueling playoff run. Naturally the undefeated Tigers aren't even the top-ranked team in their classification but don't expect any bitterness from Spencer.

"It is what it is and we know how good we are," Spencer said. "Last year people talked about the other teams and how great their players were.

"And we beat them."

So after reading that he really wanted LSU, Alabama, or Florida , like any other kid, but didn't pick up any offers, so he picked us. Sweet.

Per Scout story

South Florida , Southern Miss , FAU, South Alabama and a couple of small schools

Sweet, Glad we can compete with these big schools

Archived