• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Questions about "The System"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I think the Holtz "system" is to develop a team.  He wants players who are smart enough to make real time decisions during a game, who won't have a problem being a student athlete as opposed to those who are just an athlete, and above all players who will mesh together and play with a unity of purpose.   No prima donnas, no selfish players, no trouble guys who can disrupt the goals at hand.  He wants the best athletes he can get who will meld together into a single unit.

When you have a group of men who have brotherhood and would give it all for the group, then you have something special.

I'm sure that he would gladly grab all the five stars he could if they would fit in and benefit the team.

Go Bulls!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

One of the major aspects of Skip's system if you want to call it that is that he actually prefers a 3 star kid with great character & intelligence to a 4 star marginal kid or 5 star problematic kid.  And be sure of this; all of the non-traditional powerhouse programs have to make this kind of choice.

+1.. CJL tended to bring in more athletic, yet trouble-some characters to the program.  They were like younger Terrell Owens'.  One of the reasons why we would lack discipline during games, with so many penalties, as well as the midseason collapses due to lack of leadership in the locker room.

Holtz wants to run a more traditional balanced attack, rather than a spread.  I think he would rather have a pocket QB rather than someone with mobility that relies on his legs.

Guest nybullsfan

One of the major aspects of Skip's system if you want to call it that is that he actually prefers a 3 star kid with great character & intelligence to a 4 star marginal kid or 5 star problematic kid.  And be sure of this; all of the non-traditional powerhouse programs have to make this kind of choice.

+1

UF wants to be Harvard of the South, how about we shoot for Stanford of the East?

• Content Count:  624

every team runs some sort of system (unlesss they just use "a collection of plays"

WOW, now I finally understand Rod Smith's "system"!

• Content Count:  579
  • Days Won:  0

Saying we need players to fit our System is a nice way of saying we can't pull elite football players.  The end.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Saying we need players to fit our System is a nice way of saying we can't pull elite football players.  The end.

They're the "perfect athletes for our system and who we wanted" until we lose to a big-time program, then it's "we just don't have the elite athletes yet".  A never ending seesaw from our resident cheerleaders with skirts  ;D

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

every team runs some sort of system (unlesss they just use "a collection of plays"

WOW, now I finally understand Rod Smith's "system"!

That would be Gregory's system  ::)

• Content Count:  2,122
  • Days Won:  6

Every few months I stop by to see the stupid around here.  I pick one thread, like say this one, read it and it all comes back to me. 

E.T. I don't know how you still read all this stuff.  I am even starting to feel sorry for smazza.

• Content Count:  624

That would be Gregory's system

Smith preceded Gregory as offensive (both definitions of offensive) coordinator though perhaps we should call it the Rod Gregory System. Consistancy, results and implementation were similar for both.

I think the term Voodoo Five is related to some of his more imaginative play calling and not in a good way.

See this post http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=38990.0 to see how crushed and upset most people where upon his leaving.

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

If everyone on this board would just play in the system we would not need this thread.

Archived