• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Questions about "The System"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

I'm getting a little annoyed hearing repeated comments about how Skip only recruits players that fit his System.  Just what is this System we hear so much about, like no other team has one?  I assume we haven't seen the Full System yet, given we haven't had enough time to get four years worth of these so-called System players.  It's funny . . . when did a non-spread offense become a System?  I've assumed we had a basically old school System with some of the H-back stuff thrown in.  I'm probably just confused, but being labeled as a "System Player" used to be a bad thing, like you would have a hard time playing in a Pro System or any other System.   I don't care what System we use, just as long as it leads to winning more games.  I wish I understood Skip's System better than I do, but I can't help but feel commentators are giving us a bunch of back-handed compliments with these never-ending System remarks.  GB!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,660
  • Days Won:  29

Nearly every team has a "system" ... before we had 4 WR sets and 1 Back so you would recruit more WR's and really no need for a Fullback or TE. Skip needs Fullbacks and TE's for his sytem.

Defesively, some teams play a 3-4 instead of a 4-3 ... you recruit different DL's and quantities as with LB's also.

• Content Count:  4,879

One of the major aspects of Skip's system if you want to call it that is that he actually prefers a 3 star kid with great character & intelligence to a 4 star marginal kid or 5 star problematic kid.  And be sure of this; all of the non-traditional powerhouse programs have to make this kind of choice.

• Content Count:  1,027

I think saying a team runs a system and a player is a system player are two different things.  As E.T. said, every team runs some sort of system (unlesss they just use "a collection of plays" ::)) Recruiting players to pipeline into "the system" just means you don't have to rely so heavily on a single player's abilities to be effective.  That guy goes down, next guy steps up, team moves on.

Also, I think it's just a generic term commentators and sports writers like to (over)use.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

One of the major aspects of Skip's system if you want to call it that is that he actually prefers a 3 star kid with great character & intelligence to a 4 star marginal kid or 5 star problematic kid.  And be sure of this; all of the non-traditional powerhouse programs have to make this kind of choice.

Well said.  I am glad for the change.  However, I probably would have made similar choices (similar to the ones CJL made) early in program history in order to get some momentum and notice.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

All I know is if Holtz likes a guy, he gives him an offer.  That guys "rating" doesn't matter. 

Mut, Poz, Thor, etc. received and accepted there offers EARLY (especially for USF).  These were not necessarily highly sought after recruits, but we locked them up cause he saw something in them HE liked.  I am cool with that. 

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Well said.  I am glad for the change.  However, I probably would have made similar choices (similar to the ones CJL made) early in program history in order to get some momentum and notice.

Some of you guys are acting downright foolish.  Here's some 4-star commits for USF over the past few years.  Do you think Skip would swap them (or would have swapped them) with a lower rated one?  Come on, this nonsense has got to stop.

Andre Davis

Elkino Watson

Todd Chandler

Terrence Mitchell

Claude Davis

Jason Pierre-Paul

Ryne Giddins

Bradley Battles

David Bedford

Kion Wilson

A couple of busts: 

Leslie Stirrups

Adaris Bellamy  (he looks good though at Youngstown St.)

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

If anyone can remember the comment made by Coach Skip about Bobby Eveld and how he was ahead of the learning curve over Gunsby. Because he ran a similar system in high school. I think we run a more physical"run it down your freakin throat" type of spread offense. In the last regime offense it was a "run around you or by you" type of offense. Coach Leavitt relied on more smaller athletic guys on the o-line.

• Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

I think saying a team runs a system and a player is a system player are two different things.  As E.T. said, every team runs some sort of system (unlesss they just use "a collection of plays" ::)) Recruiting players to pipeline into "the system" just means you don't have to rely so heavily on a single player's abilities to be effective.  That guy goes down, next guy steps up, team moves on.

Also, I think it's just a generic term commentators and sports writers like to (over)use.

I love that Avatar bro could you send me the original  link to it please?

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

All I know is if Holtz likes a guy, he gives him an offer.  That guys "rating" doesn't matter. 

Mut, Poz, Thor, etc. received and accepted there offers EARLY (especially for USF).  These were not necessarily highly sought after recruits, but we locked them up cause he saw something in them HE liked.  I am cool with that. 

and ifthey do well and usf wins holtz keeps job

if not he loses job

give me a 5star recruit anytime

Archived