• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Villanova Looks Like It May Be Big East Bound For Football

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

word is Pitt, WV and RU were all saying no to NOVA

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Ounds like Kansas and company talks must be going well

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Please no UCF!!!

• Content Count:  1,524

I have a feeling this matter with Nova will get worked out. The invitation for Nova has been on the table for months now...why is there a problem with Nova NOW rather than a month ago?

Even if Nova is blocked by other BE schools, it does not mean UCF is a shoe-in like most of their fans want to believe. There is a very good change that the BE will stay at 9 teams if Nova does not work out. As some have stated, UCF and ECU are just another hungry mouth to feed that brings nothing to the table.

• Content Count:  151

I have a feeling this matter with Nova will get worked out. The invitation for Nova has been on the table for months now...why is there a problem with Nova NOW rather than a month ago?

I completely agree with this.  If the other schools right by Villanova wanted to block them why would there have been the original invite in the first place.  I think some of the schools are concerned about the stadium size and want might want to hear a better long term plan.  Maybe something like playing in PPL for the first 6 to 8 years and then building their own stadium or fighting Temple for the lease for playing at The Link. 

Let's not forget that Villanova is practically one of the founding members so I'm pretty sure everyone else will try to work with them if they want to join.

• Content Count:  959

Something seems weird. All of the issues raised by the "Eight FB schools" were issues months ago. Why have a conference call and put on the brakes two/three days before the Nova vote? Doesn't make sense. If the FB schools didn't want Nova, why invite them in the first place? Why not put on the brakes after Nova asked for an extension? If Nova was being used as some kind of bargaining tool to force some other school's hand, that seems pretty lame and I'm not sure what school would feel they'd need to jump to the BE ASAP because Nova was potentially joining and they needed to beat them in. Just weird. If the BE wanted stability and strength by going to 10 FB schools, they're coming out looking like clueless, indecisive retards with this Nova thing.

Whatever happens, I hope to all that is holy that it's not UCF. Anyone but UCF.

• Content Count:  4,642

i hope they make a decision soon so we know what to expect.  the suspense is killing me!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

FWIW, I found this post on the WVU board interesting:

"It sounds like this is how it all went down:

(1) Big East HQ in Providence permitted TCU to be invited as long as Villanova was also extended an invitation to apply to the conference for full-sport membership.

(2) Nova was asked to present a road map as to how they planned upgrading to the necessary levels of just becoming a FBS program, in addition to plans for going beyond that which should be demanded on BCS conference programs.

(3) Nova did some studies and looked at what funds might be available, making sure that they first could make the necessary jump just to the very minimum level need of a FBS program and that it was desirable by those associated with Nova.

(4) Nova presented loosely put together plans that would require minimal funds beyond funding scholarships for men's football and the necessary additional women scholarships needed for Title IX.  This is where PPL Park came into play, as it just barely exceeds minimal requirements for FBS stadium size.

(5) Specific football members of the Big East were not happy with the road map and that there was little concrete proof that Nova could even pull off what little they had proposed (apparently PPL Park was not even approached in detail about Nova becoming a tenant in the future and that some were not enthralled with the idea of Nova playing there).  Most of these members expected a similar road map to what UConn had proposed both in scope of upgrades and capital investment over a multi-year period.

(6) From the sound of things, three schools seem in favor of Villanova joining (at least in terms of providing a "yes" vote).  Those teams are Cincy, USF, and UConn.  Nova's stadium situation would take some slack off Cincy's situation in terms of stadium size.  USF sounds pretty determined to not allow UCF in the conference and that Nova's acceptance would stop that for the time being.  Not sure on UConn, but it could be a situation of them coming up this same path and wanting to see another long-time basketball school move up to joining the football schools.

(7) The other schools apparently are against it in some capacity.  I think many saw their invitation to apply for membership as a football playing member as something that would not happen because of Nova overall financial situation (i.e., small endowment), being a smaller private school, and the lack of facilities to even move up to the minimal FBS levels.  They wanted TCU to get an invite as it strengthens the conference by adding a currently good team in football and also helps to gain some additional market area in Texas.  TCU was also willing to and had plans to spend capital to upgrade their facilities as part of the process in this move.  Not sure these schools however saw any benefit in adding Nova except for BE HQ in Providence wanting it to happen since they were already a BE non-football playing member.  The lackluster road map put together by Nova including the PPL Park plan has caused more of this dissent to come out in public to the point where Nova's President released a statement that they no longer have a "clear and formal invitation" to join the BE as a full sports member.

Not sure the football members want to expand past TCU for the time being until they see what the next contract holds unless it is a slam dunk member they could not pass on.  I also think that this whole episode is going to bring up a question amongst the football schools if it is worth remaining aligned with the non-football members as a single conference going forward.  If that choice is made by the football schools, then I could see expansion again come up.  In that case, Houston and UCF could be candidates, though the hope would be there would be growing animosity by some Big 12 schools who were being considered for invites when it looked like Texas was headed to the PAC.  In that case, adding Kansas, Kansas State, and maybe Missouri would certainly seem better (though they also would have to show interest again as well).  Another question would be whether the BE could offer them the same money or greater to change conferences, which again is why I think they want to see what amount they can get the next go around in the TV deal.

Otherwise, I say stick with nine with the TCU addition at least for the next contract.  Working on improving the product within the conference and raise the conference value from that aspect first.  From there, see what changes in the conference expansion landscape (which may not change now that the other football conferences are now at 12).  Then only add a school that can add to the overall revenue pie for all member schools (if there is a school the BE can honestly get to join)."

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

word is Pitt, WV and RU were all saying no to NOVA

I am sure this "word" probably came from the same "source" that said USF was blocking UCF in favor of Houston.

Archived