• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

he was at ecu nobody can recruit well there, give the guy some time geez

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

Has ANYONE here ever watched a Skip Holtz interview? How bout a press conference? Have any of you actually listened to the words coming out of his mouth?

Dude is a passionate, engaging, make-you-want-to-lace-em-up kind of guy. 

This is a complete non-issue. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

Skip himself says it best ....

"I'm not trying to win February," Holtz said, an edge rising in his voice. "I want to win in the fall. Too many people are trying to win in February, and they're chasing stars. I feel great about the players who have made the decision to commit here. How someone else grades them is irrelevant to me.

From Shelton's stupid column

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Not sure why people are that surprised. Holtz has never been known as some good recruiter. He is a good coach but he isn't going to keep up with the guys like Strong in pure recruiting. He makes up for it by coaching a lot of guys up though so its a matter of what you think is more important.

Coaching can overcome some talent differential.  However you can't allow that gap to get too wide.

"I'm not trying to win February," Holtz said, an edge rising in his voice. "I want to win in the fall. Too many people are trying to win in February, and they're chasing stars. I feel great about the players who have made the decision to commit here. How someone else grades them is irrelevant to me.

Most coaches say this.  However, the concern for me is not the stars of the players but the fact that we are losing out on recruits we really were after (meaning that the staff did want them).  Bridgewater to UL, Keith Lewis to Ole Miss are the recent examples.  If we lose Andre Davis to Rutgers it will not be a good sign either.

Most coaches say this.  However, the concern for me is not the stars of the players but the fact that we are losing out on recruits we really were after (meaning that the staff did want them).  Bridgewater to UL, Keith Lewis to Ole Miss are the recent examples.  If we lose Andre Davis to Rutgers it will not be a good sign either.

But you're basing that it's a concern or will not be a good sign because of those stars. We will never get all the recruits we will really be after but I've got to assume the players we do have are ones the staff really want also ... I think Leavitt did a pretty good job without what some would call stellar recruiting but Skip's got to do a better one ... and based on his results at ECU, he should be able to.

• Content Count:  4,738

loved the name of the link tripleb

loved the name of the link tripleb

Was toyng with "Shelton's Mostly ****** Column" ...

• Content Count:  1,241

No way in the world we've been in the "worst era" of whatever.  Tell that to teams where they've had consecutive 2 and 3 win seasons.  Now that's bad.  We may have fallen short of where many of us hoped we'd be, but by no means am I embarrassed by our program. 

I think he meant this has been the worst ever period for USF football, not compared to other schools.

Maybe the worst period of Big East USF football. We were terrible in C-USA.

But you're basing that it's a concern or will not be a good sign because of those stars. We will never get all the recruits we will really be after but I've got to assume the players we do have are ones the staff really want also ... I think Leavitt did a pretty good job without what some would call stellar recruiting but Skip's got to do a better one ... and based on his results at ECU, he should be able to.

I'm not basing anything on the stars.  I realize that at this point for USF that there is a lot of finding hidden gems, late bloomers, etc.  However, you do not start your class with those kids which IMO is what this class looked like.  The way recruiting works in Florida requires us to hang in there with some higher end kids and HD around when they realize they are not going to get big 3 offers or SEC offers.  Fact of life.  Also, this is the deepest and best pool of talent locally in years and we have no commits from this area now.  Have to at least ask the question as to why that is.

I do not expect holtz to get every recruit we want, or even a large number of elite players.  At least at this point. 

Archived