• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Looks like we are struggling in our recruiting efforts thus far.  I looked at Rivals website and we are 7th in the conference just ahead of UConn and no where on the map nationally.  I know it is still early, but I hope that we can pull in some top rated talent this class.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  225
  • Days Won:  0

Looks like we are struggling in our recruiting efforts thus far.  I looked at Rivals website and we are 7th in the conference just ahead of UConn and no where on the map nationally.  I know it is still early, but I hope that we can pull in some top rated talent this class.

Yeah, I’m a little worried to see if Holtz can finish strong.  He did get Terrence Mitchell after Leavitt got fired.

We will see.  I hope I'm wrong but I think when it comes to pure recruiting, Leavitt might be the better recruiter.  That is given they had the same success on the field.  Now if Holtz starts to win more, I'm sure he will naturally out recruit Leavitt.  The reason I think Leavitt could have been a better recruiter because you know he was sincere when he thought USF was the best job.  All he had to tell a recruit is I turn down Alabama to stay at USF.  So his actions spoke volumes for this program.

• Content Count:  5,241

I think will see maybe Reshawn Scott (WR), Andre Davis and Armwood QB Josh Grady. Also  LB Laquentin Smith and one of his safeties.

I think will see maybe Reshawn Scott (WR), Andre Davis and Armwood QB Josh Grady. Also  LB Laquentin Smith and one of his safeties.

That would be nice.  Kept posting any WR we might get.  I think we will hopefully see more news on recruiting after the bowl. Hopefully good news if the bowl game is competitive.

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah, I’m a little worried to see if Holtz can finish strong.  He did get Terrence Mitchell after Leavitt got fired.

We will see.  I hope I'm wrong but I think when it comes to pure recruiting, Leavitt might be the better recruiter.  That is given they had the same success on the field.  Now if Holtz starts to win more, I'm sure he will naturally out recruit Leavitt.   The reason I think Leavitt could have been a better recruiter because you know he was sincere when he thought USF was the best job.  All he had to tell a recruit is I turn down Alabama to stay at USF.   So his actions spoke volumes for this program.

Dude give Holtz a couple of classes before you say he isnt a good recruiter...cant compare him to Leavitt when you talk about recruiting Florida...thats retarded

We will see.  I hope I'm wrong but I think when it comes to pure recruiting, Leavitt might be the better recruiter.  That is given they had the same success on the field.  Now if Holtz starts to win more, I'm sure he will naturally out recruit Leavitt.   The reason I think Leavitt could have been a better recruiter because you know he was sincere when he thought USF was the best job.  All he had to tell a recruit is I turn down Alabama to stay at USF.   So his actions spoke volumes for this program.

Dude give Holtz a couple of classes before you say he isnt a good recruiter...cant compare him to Leavitt when you talk about recruiting Florida...thats retarded

Did you even read my full post?  I said it's yet to be seen and he could be a strong finisher.  At this point when I listen to sports radio, he hasn't made any ripples yet in recruiting.  But that doesn't mean he won't. 

I probably should of elaborated more.  I think Holtz being a better game day coach would making him a naturally better recruiter.    He almost had USF win the Big East with barely any offense.  So I think that alone would help him finish recruiting strong.  If he could do that with the talent we had this year, imagine what he would do with slightly more on offense.    What I was trying to say in the previous post is without the whole season (including the bowl game) to play, it appears to a lot of people that Leavitt was the better recruiter.  I agree with you, we should give him more classes to judge him.  I think he finishes the season strong with a competitive bowl game, he should finish strong in recruiting.  Like I said in my last post, he got Terrence Mitchell after Leavitt got fired.  I think that was the only 4 star athlete we got in that class.  Plus I think we had another ESPN 150 from a school in Miami.   

• Content Count:  2,523

Too early to tell until signing day.  However.  Holtz took over a program that has a pretty solid foundation.  We are located in a great location, have shown we can win big games, when we win, we can make it to the MNC game as shown when we got to #2 and we have a history of signing some 4 and 5 stars in the past.  Plus he has the "buzz" that comes with a new coach who has stability which is big for recruits.  Everything is in place for Holtz to bring in the big guns IF HE CAN SELL THE VISION. 

Recruiting is as much about a coaches salesmanship as anything.  Can you sit in that living room and convince a kid and his parents that he can be a part of history or does he want to be "just another" at a more established, historic program.

What I can see is Holtz is a better game day coach than CJL as the team is much more consistent from week to week and you don't see as many head scratching things happen plus special teams is light years ahead which is a direct reflection of a coache's personality.  Disciplined play is the key to STs and we have that now.

One thing about CJL, the man had PASSION.  You bought what he was selling bc he believed it with every ounce of his being.  Question is, can Holtz convey that seem feeling to recruits and does he believe it as much as CJL did that he WILL do great things?

• Content Count:  1,757

Apparently the players didn't buy into what Leavitt was selling on many occasions when they would simply fail to show up to a game ready to play.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Apparently the players didn't buy into what Leavitt was selling on many occasions when they would simply fail to show up to a game ready to play.

For the players who had been with him for mulitple years, yes.  But for kids and their parents when he's sitting in their living room it's an impressive thing.  If there is one thing CJL could do it's recruit and sell his vision. 

Archived