• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Apparently the players didn't buy into what Leavitt was selling on many occasions when they would simply fail to show up to a game ready to play.

For the players who had been with him for mulitple years, yes.  But for kids and their parents when he's sitting in their living room it's an impressive thing.  If there is one thing CJL could do it's recruit and sell his vision. 

So is this from personal experience. Just seems like a lot of assumption. Unless you were there how would you know what he even said? How would you know the difference between Leavitt and Holtz in that living room?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Leavitt would have been at USF for life which is why it was easy to selll his vision of the program.

Holtz has never been able to recruit because every job he has been at has been a stepping stone.  Recruits can tell he's not a lifer, thus they do not want to play for him.  If he doesn't believe in the program why should recruits?

Leavitt would have been at USF for life which is why it was easy to selll his vision of the program.

Holtz has never been able to recruit because every job he has been at has been a stepping stone.  Recruits can tell he's not a lifer, thus they do not want to play for him.  If he doesn't believe in the program why should recruits?

I would have to agree with you on that. Huge advantage when a coach started the program and you know he would never voluntarily leave.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,708
  • Days Won:  424

The upside on that is that Skip, who never finished higher than 4th in CUSA recruiting rankings, was able to win back to back conf championships, plus some nice upsets over BCS teams, with supposedly inferior talent .... Hopefull, that will translate to this level, also.

• Content Count:  225

I would have to agree with you on that. Huge advantage when a coach started the program and you know he would never voluntarily leave.

Hey  I would have to agree.  That was the point I was trying to make it my first post when I said that the fact that Leavitt's passion for USF.  He turn down Alabama.  When a recruit hears you turn down Alabama, they know you are not blowing smoke up their a** and you sincerely feel USF is the best job.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Apparently the players didn't buy into what Leavitt was selling on many occasions when they would simply fail to show up to a game ready to play.

Or maybe at the end of the day, the offensive players just were not good enough and we all know the offensive coaching wasn't enough to make up for it.  Not like we have a bunch of offensive guys in the league.  Our biggest offensive playmakers have bounced around on practice squads.

Or maybe at the end of the day, the offensive players just were not good enough and we all know the offensive coaching wasn't enough to make up for it.  Not like we have a bunch of offensive guys in the league.  Our biggest offensive playmakers have bounced around on practice squads.

Possibly, but I cannot remember one time this season we were blown our, embarrassed, and out-coached. That happened multiple times in Big East play under Leavitt.

• Content Count:  21,355
  • Days Won:  10

Well if Skip Holtz can't recruit like some of you are saying ( I doubt that, I have seen him speak) then I still think he can finish the top of the Big East with just average recruits.  Look what Cincy did with just 3 and 2 star recruits.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

How many other coaches can tell recruits that they are, "lifers" at their respective schools?  If that were such a huge deal, we should have been in the top ten in recruiting for the past several years.

Also, how about we give Holtz a chance?  He's really working on his first recruiting class.  I know, you've already decided that he's a bust.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

How many other coaches can tell recruits that they are, "lifers" at their respective schools?  If that were such a huge deal, we should have been in the top ten in recruiting for the past several years.

Also, how about we give Holtz a chance?  He's really working on his first recruiting class.  I know, you've already decided that he's a bust.

yeah this lifer stuff is non-sense... these kids dont care about that...

Archived