• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How come Eveld wasn't offered a scholarship anywhere?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

anyone know the story behind this kid? It's not like he played for some no-name school in the middle of no where.. he played right down the road at Jesuit (my alma mater). He took them to the state playoffs. The kid is 6-5 and has a good arm with great accuracy.. i found his high school highlights on youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/beveld11

What gives? no programs at all offered him? not even the mid majors or even the 1-AA programs? talk about slipping through the cracks..

good to have him on board, for depth at the least.. hopefully they can save a scholarship for this kid for next year.. he looks like he's been working hard enough to deserve it.. and it would be nice to have some JHS kids on the roster and form a pipeline with a school that is literally across the street from RJS.  Harrell is doing a great job down there.

• Content Count:  2,558

I thought he was offered but wanted to stay local and walked on?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,706
  • Days Won:  108

My son-in-law says he was drafted in a late round in baseball and didn't think he would score any kind of decent contract.  Not quite sure why he chose us, other than the close to home thing.  And Jesuit is known more for baseball than football.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Im pretty sure he was going to get into the Mets farm system. Maybe he waited too long to make a decision and no one offered because of that.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

he was drafted in MLB

and he did have offers (i dont think much d1 interest)... he was a 3 star prospect

http://rivals.yahoo.com/sectionsports/football/recruiting/player-Bobby-Eveld-90463

• Content Count:  521

My son-in-law says he was drafted in a late round in baseball and didn't think he would score any kind of decent contract.  Not quite sure why he chose us, other than the close to home thing.  And Jesuit is known more for baseball than football.

If that was the case, wouldn't that make CFB programs more likely to offer him?  i mean, being drafted in the late rds means that you're probably gonna get a crappy contract to begin with... either way, i'm surprised no one (not even mid majors) took a chance on this kid.  You'd think a program like UCF/FIU/FAU would offer a scholarship.. considering programs like USF & Leavitt take chances and offer kids scholarships who were academically questionable and had to go to the JUCO route

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I tried to find the thread from the time he made his decision, but I can't. I'm pretty sure he had no FBS offers (the rivals link above shows none) and chose to walk on at USF rather than go to an FCS school. I remember at the time thinking it was a nice back up plan, that he was about as good of a walk on prospect as anyone could hope for.

Here's a blurb from the St. Pete Times' prep sports blog at the time he decided to go to USF:

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/jesuits-eveld-bound-usf/304/

<i>After months of flying mysteriously beneath the recruiting radar, Jesuit quarterback Bobby Eveld finally has landed only a few miles from home.

Eveld confirmed in a text message this afternoon he will join USF as a preferred walk-on. A 6-foot-6 pocket passer who guided the Tigers to the Class 2A playoffs last season, Eveld made unofficial visits to USF, Florida International and Florida Atlantic, among others.

"I'm really glad it's over but it was all worth it," Eveld said in his message.

As a senior, Eveld completed 134 of 244 passes for 1,999 yards, 19 touchdowns and six interceptions. In two seasons, he threw for nearly 3,000 yards and, of course, beat Tampa Catholic twice.</i>

• Content Count:  36

He got picked in the 50th round as a catcher. So yes, he would've seen a $200 signing bonus and not much else. As for football, USF had actually listed him as a qb prospect, and he had interests from other major schools, just not scholarship interest. Glad he walked on at USF though.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

he had interests from other major schools

Not really. Here are the schools that Rivals lists on his page:

Elon

Florida Atlantic

Mississippi State

Purdue

South Florida

Tennessee Tech