• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Its a new Holtz era!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Bouncer, we rely too heavily on our Florida product. i am not saying we should stop recruitment here, but we need to appeal to those big midwest linemen. We have the speed, but not the bulk here in Fl. Texas, cali are also areas we need to be. Hell, like you said, they take our leftovers, why not take their 3 stars too!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

The simple difference in Syracuse vs. previous years...

The plays were there, the player(s) weren't.  Previous years, we won when the players made plays in spite of play calling.  

I personally enjoy seeing a logical sequence of plays on offense, it gives me hope.

Have you noticed that even when we played Wk Stoney Broook etc that BJ was still in the game till the end.  Our offense has been bad all year.  You may like the play calling but it has not had very positive results.  I thought - could be wrong - that one of Holtzs strengths was to adapt the system to the players and on the offense they have missed the boat.  Defense looks good so far this year and I for one am glad Tressey is gone.  The best thing imho is the special teams play which has really improved.  So not all bad but the offense needs to look at last year and remove Carlton Mitchell from the formula and go with that.  i like the read option for Bj and Shaw in the backfield but who knows - maybe that won't work either but at least it should spread those 12 guys out on the line waiting for the run.  BJ or Shaw breaks along one and bingo - the safetys will move back.

we ran for 244 against UF. we mixed it up nicely. I felt like against the others we just ran straight into the line. I agree. I'd like to see Shaw more and BJ needs to run the read option more. Murray missing hurts.

we can't expect BJ to win games with his arm. we need to stop calling pass plays that risk turnovers in important positions on the field (inside their 30 or inside our 30).

He's our effing quarterback. Do you realize how ridiculous that  statement is?

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The simple difference in Syracuse vs. previous years...

The plays were there, the player(s) weren't.  Previous years, we won when the players made plays in spite of play calling.  

I personally enjoy seeing a logical sequence of plays on offense, it gives me hope.

Have you noticed that even when we played Wk Stoney Broook etc that BJ was still in the game till the end.  Our offense has been bad all year.  You may like the play calling but it has not had very positive results.  I thought - could be wrong - that one of Holtzs strengths was to adapt the system to the players and on the offense they have missed the boat.  Defense looks good so far this year and I for one am glad Tressey is gone.  The best thing imho is the special teams play which has really improved.  So not all bad but the offense needs to look at last year and remove Carlton Mitchell from the formula and go with that.  i like the read option for Bj and Shaw in the backfield but who knows - maybe that won't work either but at least it should spread those 12 guys out on the line waiting for the run.  BJ or Shaw breaks along one and bingo - the safetys will move back.

we ran for 244 against UF. we mixed it up nicely. I felt like against the others we just ran straight into the line. I agree. I'd like to see Shaw more and BJ needs to run the read option more. Murray missing hurts.

we can't expect BJ to win games with his arm. we need to stop calling pass plays that risk turnovers in important positions on the field (inside their 30 or inside our 30).

He's our effing quarterback. Do you realize how ridiculous that  statement is?

not ridiculous at all.

the baltimore ravens won a super bowl with a QB that they didn't expect to win games for them.

they expected their defense and run game to win games for them. that's exactly what we need to do.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

not ridiculous at all.

the baltimore ravens won a super bowl with a QB that they didn't expect to win games for them.

they expected their defense and run game to win games for them. that's exactly what we need to do.

You're right, it's beyond ridiculous, some might call it ignorant.  And frankly, you're bringing up situations where the QB was serviceable and had at least decent stats, a decent TD/INT ratio, and could keep drives moving.  BJ's lack of being even a serviceable QB is losing games for us.  What part of that can't you get?

If BJ can't THROW, then he must GO!

And by go, I mean to some other position where his speed and athleticism can be a benefit to the team.

not ridiculous at all.

You're right, it's beyond ridiculous, some might call it ignorant.  And frankly, you're bringing up situations where the QB was serviceable and had at least decent stats, a decent TD/INT ratio, and could keep drives moving.  bj daniels lack of being even a serviceable QB is losing games for us.  What part of that can't you get?

If BJ can't THROW, then he must GO!

And by go, I mean to some other position where his speed and athleticism can be a benefit to the team.

Brilliant analysis.

who do we bring in? the true freshman walk-on who had less yards passing, less yards rushing, less total TDs in 2A high school football than BJ Daniels had in a BCS conference last year.

I'm sure RR thought he should get rid of pat white because he couldn't throw. I bet 5-0 Nebraska is happy with their QB that has 3 TDs and 3 INTs this year on 31 less pass attempts than BJ Daniels.

Brilliant analysis.

who do we bring in? the true freshman walk-on who had less yards passing, less yards rushing, less total TDs in 2A high school football than BJ Daniels had in a BCS conference last year.

I'm sure RR thought he should get rid of pat white because he couldn't throw. I bet 5-0 Nebraska is happy with their QB that has 3 TDs and 3 INTs this year on 31 less pass attempts than BJ Daniels.

Below is Pat White's RS Sophmore season highlighted in red.  Again, sarcasm and jackassery might be kinda funny except your just showing us that you're a complete and utter ass.  Care to share any other brilliant information?

Statistics Att    Comp  Pct  Yds  TD Int Rating  Att Yds Avg TD 

2008      274  180    65.7 1,842  21  7  142.3  191 974 5.1 8 

2007      216  144    66.7 1,724  14  4  151.4  197 1,335 6.8 14 

2006      179  118    65.9 1,655  13  7  159.7  165 1,219 7.4 18 

2005      114    65    57.0    828  8  5  132.4  131 952 7.3 7 

I will agree that BJ shouldn't throw given his current abilities, however, we will lose more games than we win if we do not have an effective passer playing QB.  If Nebraska's running game gets shutdown and if their QB is like BJ, they will lose plenty of games as well.  Looks like he is at least serviceable to this point for Nebraska and can keep drives alive.

And below is Nebraska's passing stats this year.  Very, very serviceable

PASSING              GP-GS  Effic Cmp-Att-Int  Pct  Yds  TD Lng Avg/G

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Martinez, Taylor      5-5  153.66  39-64-3    60.9  660  3  79 132.0

Green, Cody          5-0  141.13  7-12-0    58.3  79    1  33  15.8

Lee, Zac                1-0  169.50    3-4-0      75.0  45    0  24  45.0

Total..........            5    152.57  49-80-3    61.2  784  4  79 156.8

Brilliant analysis.

Below is Pat White's RS Sophmore season highlighted in red.  Again, sarcasm and jackassery might be kinda funny except your just showing us that you're a complete and utter ***.  Care to share any other brilliant information?

Statistics Att    Comp   Pct   Yds   TD Int Rating   Att Yds Avg TD   

2008       274   180    65.7 1,842  21  7  142.3   191 974 5.1 8   

2007       216   144    66.7 1,724  14  4  151.4   197 1,335 6.8 14   

2006       179   118    65.9 1,655  13  7  159.7   165 1,219 7.4 18 

2005       114    65     57.0    828  8   5  132.4   131 952 7.3 7   

I will agree that BJ shouldn't throw given his current abilities, however, we will lose more games than we win if we do not have an effective passer playing QB.  If Nebraska's running game gets shutdown and if their QB is like BJ, they will lose plenty of games as well.  Looks like he is at least serviceable to this point for Nebraska and can keep drives alive.

pat white didn't have a red shirt sophomore season. looks like he averaged less than 15 passes per game. just around where I think BJ should be.

Pat White averaged 14.9 pass attempts and 13.75 rush attempts per game.

BJ is averaging 21 pass attempts and 10.4 rush attempts per game

It also looks like Pat White had 14 less runs then passes for the entire year.

BJ has 43 more passes than runs this year already. That's over 8 more pass to rushing attempts per game.

that's dumb coaching. if it's obvious to everyone that he is a better runner than passer then why does he have 43 more pass attempts?

I've got a news flash for you. we went 7-5 last year and we lost 6 guys to the NFL. There is no way we were going to be better this year.

Who do we start if you get your wish and BJ is benched?

And below is Nebraska's passing stats this year.  Very, very serviceable

PASSING              GP-GS   Effic Cmp-Att-Int   Pct  Yds  TD Lng Avg/G

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Martinez, Taylor      5-5   153.66   39-64-3    60.9  660   3  79 132.0

Green, Cody           5-0   141.13   7-12-0     58.3   79    1  33  15.8

Lee, Zac                1-0   169.50    3-4-0      75.0   45    0  24  45.0

Total..........            5     152.57  49-80-3    61.2  784   4  79 156.8

their starter averages 13 passes per game.

You do realize you're proving my point, right?

You don't need to pass to win.

He has 3 TDs and 3 INTs.

pat white didn't have a red shirt sophomore season. looks like he averaged less than 15 passes per game. just around where I think BJ should be.

Pat White averaged 14.9 pass attempts and 13.75 rush attempts per game.

BJ is averaging 21 pass attempts and 10.4 rush attempts per game

It also looks like Pat White had 14 less runs then passes for the entire year.

BJ has 43 more passes than runs this year already. That's over 8 more pass to rushing attempts per game.

that's dumb coaching. if it's obvious to everyone that he is a better runner than passer then why does he have 43 more pass attempts?

I've got a news flash for you. we went 7-5 last year and we lost 6 guys to the NFL. There is no way we were going to be better this year.

Who do we start if you get your wish and BJ is benched?

Care to make another correction Bull94?  I left his 2004 redshirt season off of that list above.

With his splendid performance in his first year at the Mountaineer line-up, White gained hype even before the season began on his redshirt sophomore year. He graced one of the 6 regional covers of the Sports Illustrated issue (08.21.06) along with teammates running back Steve Slaton, and fullback Owen Schmitt. He was also one of the 35 players listed on the Walter Camp Football Foundation Player of the Year award watchlist.

http://wikicollegefootball.org/index.php/Pat_White

If you notice, Pat White threw more TD's than interceptions (he didn't put his team in bad positions as often) and his completion percentage is at 65.9% (similar to MG in his sophomore season). 

You somehow want us to believe like you that BJ throwing less is going to correct these glaring problems ::).  Wrong, the fact that he makes these mistakes means the defenses will load the box and hope like hell that BJ has to put the ball in the air (Ahmad Black anyone?).

Here's my news flash right back!  We're much worse over the first five games of this year and that isn't because we had six players taken in the draft.  Holtz was hired to make us a better football team and to avoid the midseason collapse as much as it was to get rid of Leavitt.  Otherwise they would have just put Canales in as HC and saved the school a large sum of money.  The whole purpose of paying coaches large sums of money is to have successful seasons.  Flash in the pan teams cannot sustain the fan base necessary to afford expensive coaches.  You may certainly have expected USF to play like ****..................many on here are like me and will always expect much better than that and especially against our conference doormat at our own HOMECOMING game.  Capiche!

Archived