• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sad USF Statistic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  728
  • Days Won:  0

I expect the passing game to pick up around Cuse time. For now, I am fine with running the ball down FAU's throat.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,649
  • Days Won:  6

Number of passes does not concern me too much.  However, the completion percentage and yards per attempt are bad and do not bode well.  I used Nebraska (70 passes in 4 games) and Auburn (72 passes in 4 games) as comparisons. 

Auburn 63.9% (38th in nation)

Nebraska 61.4% (57th in nation)

USF 52.9% (104th in nation)

Auburn 10.6 yards/attempt (2d in nation)

Nebraska 9.3 yards/attempt (13th in nation)

USF 7.5 yards/attempt (55th in nation)

Now GTech, Army, Navy and Air Force have worse numbers on both but those are option run teams for the most part and IMO not a proper comparison.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

Does anyone know if this is really yards per atttempt?  Or is it yards per completion?  I find it hard to believe someone keeps the stat of yards for incompletions.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Number of passes does not concern me too much.  However, the completion percentage and yards per attempt are bad and do not bode well.  I used Nebraska (70 passes in 4 games) and Auburn (72 passes in 4 games) as comparisons. 

Now GTech, Army, Navy and Air Force have worse numbers on both but those are option run teams for the most part and IMO not a proper comparison.

Well illustrated stats.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Does anyone know if this is really yards per atttempt?  Or is it yards per completion?  I find it hard to believe someone keeps the stat of yards for incompletions.

Yards per attempt is easy to figure out. Take total yards passing and divide by number of attempts and I agree with Sanjay it is one of the most important stats concerning a QB. Last year Daniels yards per attempt were much higher with Mitchell and the deep passes.

I think yards per play is the most important stat(other than scoring-obviously), regardless of how you get those yards.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,649
  • Days Won:  6

Yards per attempt is easy to figure out. Take total yards passing and divide by number of attempts and I agree with Sanjay it is one of the most important stats concerning a QB. Last year Daniels yards per attempt were much higher with Mitchell and the deep passes.

Okay, so it is yards completed divided by number of attempts.  I think a much more telling stat is average yards completed.  What am I missing here?

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I believe they are per attempt.  They take the total passing yardage and divide by the number of attempts.

we average 6.36 yards per play.

WVU averages 5.07.

UF 5.39.

OU 5.14.

Texas 5.08

.Rutgers 4.32.

Okay, so it is yards completed divided by number of attempts.  I think a much more telling stat is average yards completed.  What am I missing here?

1 for 20 for 100 yards would be 100 yards per completion.

1 for 1 for 100 yards would be 100 yards per completion.

they are equal.

1 for 20 is 5 yards per attempt

while 1 for 1 is 100 yards per attempt.

1 for 1 is obviously much better.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I don't mind the low # of passes, but the completion rate needs to climb higher, we can't have our qb near 50%.

I don't mind the low # of passes, but the completion rate needs to climb higher, we can't have our qb near 50%.

completion percentage is over rated. which is better ?

8 for 10 for 40 yards = 80% completion= 4 yards per attempt

2 for 10 for 100 yards = 20% completion= 10 yards per attempt

Yards per attempt is more important than completion percentage

Archived