• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sad USF Statistic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I read this statistic this morning in the Palm Beach County edition of the Sun-Sentinel:

"USF only has 70 pass attempts in three games.  Only seven schools in the country have fewer." [Emphasis added]

It sounds like this includes FCS or Div. 1AA schools as well.

The article also discussed Richard Kelly and his more prevelant use under Todd Fitch's offense. 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

But we are 2-1, so run for now if it gets the W.  Hopefully, when the time comes we will be able to pass with efficiency..

True it is early in the season, but two of these games were against far inferior teams.  In my humble opinion, we cannot win conference games without a passing game mixed into the offense.  Granted, we are without three starting wide receivers.  Nonetheless, a sad statistic for our program albeit early in the season. 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I read this statistic this morning in the Palm Beach County edition of the Sun-Sentinel:

"USF only has 70 pass attempts in three games.  Only seven schools in the country have fewer." [Emphasis added]

It sounds like this includes FCS or Div. 1AA schools as well.

The article also discussed Richard Kelly and his more prevelant use under Todd Fitch's offense. 

why would that be a sad statistic? generally you have more pass attempts when you lose.

4-0 Nebraska has a top 15 offense. their QBs have the same number of attempts and they've played 4 games to our 3.

I don't believe number of attempts correlates with number of wins.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

True it is early in the season, but two of these games were against far inferior teams.  In my humble opinion, we cannot win conference games without a passing game mixed into the offense.  Granted, we are without three starting wide receivers.  Nonetheless, a sad statistic for our program albeit early in the season. 

tell that to WVU and Pat White. They dominated this conference with one of the worst passing games in the country.

or tell GTech when they won the ACC last year.

Guest Scherdin

who cares...we have a winning record!

The coaching staff as found a way to win games without 3 starting WR's and a RS Sophmore learning a new offense.  I hope we run the ball down FAU's throat as well.  

Syracuse won't know what to game plan against...

I agree that the number of pass attempts does not necessarily correlate with the number of wins.  I believe it is a sad statistic when you factor in the quality of our program and the quality of the 2/3 programs we played against.  Our second "string" receivers are better or should be better than Stony Brook and WKU's starting secondary or defense.  We still should have been able to put up big numbers in the passing front against these schools.  

I wonder what our completion percentage is for these three games and where that statistic places us nationally?

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Number of passes does not concern me too much.  However, the completion percentage and yards per attempt are bad and do not bode well.  I used Nebraska (70 passes in 4 games) and Auburn (72 passes in 4 games) as comparisons. 

Auburn 63.9% (38th in nation)

Nebraska 61.4% (57th in nation)

USF 52.9% (104th in nation)

Auburn 10.6 yards/attempt (2d in nation)

Nebraska 9.3 yards/attempt (13th in nation)

USF 7.5 yards/attempt (55th in nation)

Now GTech, Army, Navy and Air Force have worse numbers on both but those are option run teams for the most part and IMO not a proper comparison.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing

Thanks Sanjay!  I appreciate your researching and sharing the stats, even as disappointing as they are.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

The seven schools with fewer pass attempts is in I-A only. The Sun-Sentinel picked up a note that ran in the Times on Wednesday.

Archived