• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East - Not so good

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Doesn't Syracuse win its opener each year? Vanderbilt too? And Duke?

I believe I read they hadn't won an opener since 03'

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so if we win next week, when will people start talking about going to the BCS game?  ;D

Doesn't Syracuse win its opener each year? Vanderbilt too? And Duke?

I believe I read they hadn't won an opener since 03'

They did this year.

that's why I said "hadn't", just giving you a heads up

• Content Count:  30
  • Days Won:  0

I think we just need to wait a couple of weeks, then when big east play really gets rolling, look at the OOC games and our records instead of spending all of this time borrowing trouble.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

awesome news

all the easier to win it.

I could care less how our conference does. I'm a Bulls fan.

You do realize that if the Big East is strong in OOC games, and USF does well in conference games, it makes USF look that much better?

Heck, if all we cared about was USF winning, we should push to go back to C-USA!

No, the Big East needs to do better than they did this week... especially against BCS-caliber opponents.

I'm not a conference fan. I want USF to go undefeated. If we don't play a strong enough schedule to make it into the title game then it's because our AD chose not to schedule enough tough OOC games.

Our strength of schedule doesn't mean anything unless we are up for a BCS championship spot. A tougher conference won't get us a better bowl.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

awesome news

all the easier to win it.

I could care less how our conference does. I'm a Bulls fan.

You do realize that if the Big East is strong in OOC games, and USF does well in conference games, it makes USF look that much better?

Heck, if all we cared about was USF winning, we should push to go back to C-USA!

No, the Big East needs to do better than they did this week... especially against BCS-caliber opponents.

How about we just take care of our ooc schedule. Im sure we will look that much better. who cares what your conference does just win the games you were scheduled.

thats not how it works though, if we beat all BE teams and they lose every game it does not help our cause

what cause?? BCS championship cause??

BE teams are guaranteed the same bowls regardless of how well we do in our OOC schedule.

BCS bowl, Champs bowl, meneike bowl, new york bowl, st pete bowl, papa johns bowl

Our champ can upgrade from a regular BCS bowl to a the championship game but that will be determined by how well that team does in their OOC and how tough those opponents were. not whether Pitt beats Utah.

It's more important to schedule tough OOC opponents and do well then it is for your conference to do well in their OOC games.

Our champ can upgrade from a regular BCS bowl to a the championship game but that will be determined by how well that team does in their OOC and how tough those opponents were. not whether Pitt beats Utah.

It's more important to schedule tough OOC opponents and do well then it is for your conference to do well in their OOC games.

Actually, that's not true.  Why? Well, look at Alabama last year - they didn't play tough OOC opponents.  Only 1 - VT (they played FIU, North Texas, Chattanooga).  They play in the SEC so they don't have to play tough OOC opponents.

And why is that, pray tell?

I'll tell you why: Because the other teams in their conference are good teams who win their games outside of their conference!

Look at Florida in 2008 ... Miami (in a down year for the Canes), Hawaii, The Citadel, and Florida State (also not at their best)  ... Hmmm... Maybe LSU did it in 2007... VT again, okay not bad.  But Middle Tennesee State, Tulane, and Louisiana Tech?

Okay.. perhaps you have some evidence to back up your assertion that having quality teams in your conference -- which can really only be judged when they play their OOC games - is irrelevant.

Seems to me that, while winning the conference is the ultimate goal, we should want our conference wins to actually MEAN something.

Otherwise, we're nothing more than Boise State or Utah.

• Content Count:  554

The good news=the BE is there for the taking.

The bad news=it will look that much worse [glow=red,2,300]when[/glow] USF finishes BE play with a 3-4 record.

We finished [glow=red,2,300]3-4[/glow] in the BE this year? Wow! Who will win the Superbowl this year? I will share my winnings with you. Also, whats the meaning of life? What else do you see Nostradamus?

Sorry, I was just averaging our BE numbers from the past 4 years

06 - (4-3)

07 - (4-3)

08 - (2-5)

09 - (3-4)

Please forgive my "when" and replace it with an "if".

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Well I do love when the pundits are wrong....i.e. Piit....but seriously....this conference is due for a down year.....several new coaches and several new QB's.

I will require Holtz to prove it.....but I am hoping he can do much better than the predicted 6th place BE record.....I would love to see us prove the pundits wrong for a change in the opposite direction.

If the BE has one down year it will not kill it.....2 or 3 could....but I suspect by the end of the season....at least 1 or 2 teams will be ranked.

• Content Count:  2,511

Actually, that's not true.  Why? Well, look at Alabama last year - they didn't play tough OOC opponents.  Only 1 - VT (they played FIU, North Texas, Chattanooga).  They play in the SEC so they don't have to play tough OOC opponents.

And why is that, pray tell?

I'll tell you why: Because the other teams in their conference are good teams who win their games outside of their conference!

Look at Florida in 2008 ... Miami (in a down year for the Canes), Hawaii, The Citadel, and Florida State (also not at their best)  ... Hmmm... Maybe LSU did it in 2007... VT again, okay not bad.  But Middle Tennesee State, Tulane, and Louisiana Tech?

Okay.. perhaps you have some evidence to back up your assertion that having quality teams in your conference -- which can really only be judged when they play their OOC games - is irrelevant.

Seems to me that, while winning the conference is the ultimate goal, we should want our conference wins to actually MEAN something.

Otherwise, we're nothing more than Boise State or Utah.

Look at the OCC results for each conference last year.  SEC was #1 in winning percentage.  Guess who was #2?  The BIG EAST.  Not the Big 10, not the Big 12, not the PAC 10, and not the ACC.  The BIG EAST.

Why all this rendering of garments and covering oneself with sack cloth and ash after one week?

Pitt is overrated every year.  Every year the press falls for the illusion show of the Mysterious Moustache, and every year he fails to produce.  He did the same thing in the NFL; destroying teams like the Bears and the Dolphins while riding the coat tails of his former boss Jimmy Johnson.  One day the press and Pitt will wake up and banish that fool to the unemployment line, but until then, USF just needs to defeat that fool plus Rutgers, UConn & Cinci.

Archived