• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

size at wr

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Wow, smazza is totally right. Size doesn't matter especially when it comes to collegiate sports. One of the best QB to WR combo we've had was 5'10 Matt Grothe to 5'7 Ian Randolph. Those two midgets won us a lot of games.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I hope there's another Ean Randolph in this group somewhere.  Hoping it is Lamar.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

GA reporting from practice this morning.

Couple of injury notes, relating to coaches being careful about concussions and heat -- offensive lineman Jake Sims and fullback Chase Griffiths were held out for the second day after complaining of headaches Sunday, and tight end Jeff Hawkins, who was removed from practice Monday to cool off in the shade, did not dress for practice Tuesday. Guard Jeremiah Warren, who was held out with Sims and Griffiths on Monday, returned to practice Tuesday.

With Sims out, sophomore Damien Edwards got a look at right tackle on the first line, and while there was a scare when he went down with a leg injury and was treated by trainers, he returned to practice just a few moments later.

Redshirt freshman receiver Isaac Virgin, looking good in his first week at a new position, got a few looks with the first-team offense, and 6-foot-6 sophomore T.J. Knowles, a junior college transfer, made two nice catches across the middle. True freshman Terrence Mitchell and redshirt freshman JaQuez Jenkins had interceptions during passing drills.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/sims-hawkins-still-held-out-morning-drills

He also put up a video:

AUGUST 10, 2010

Video: USF tight ends in pass-catching drills

More video from Vero Beach -- we've told you to expect more from the tight end in USF's offense this fall, and here you can see assistant coach Larry Scott working in a pass-catching drill with Richard Kelly (who will work all over, at fullback, H-back and tight end) along with walk-ons Tyler Guy and Jake Carlton.

Guest nybullsfan

Thanks for the vid Mama.

One thing that bothers me watching this, is when the ball hits the ground, the coaches just resumed the drill.

IMO, any time the ball hits the ground the players need to practicing FALLING ON IT! Too many times we see them trying to pick it up and run, or bobble it all over.

I think the coaches should take the opportunity in practice to reinforce the proper behavior whenever the ball hits the ground.

:2cents

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Win the Big East would do more for us then UF game in the long run. 

To get where we want to be, we're going to need to do both .... THIS year it's more important to beat UF than win the BE ... So let it be written. So let it be done.

and if it doesn't happen what then....beating UF would be great but not necessary right now.  Win the BE this year would be great, but hardly likely at this point.   My hope is we fight with them for 3 quarters, keep it a game, and make them remember they played USF and not think of us as another early season fodder game.  They're still returning so much from a 13-1 squad and if Brantley lives up to billing I fully expect them to make another run at the SEC crown this year.

This program is building for big runs in 2011 and 2012.  I am more excited thinking about 2011 going to ND with Scott, and Aycock as weapons for BJ, bj daniels full knowledge of the offense, and having Griffin, Love, and Landi as his primary targets with a sprinkling in of a Lamar who finally works the kinks out of his learning curb at receiver.  That would be a great springboard to a big 2011 run at the BE title.  That's what we're building for.

You saying AJ Love gonna get a sixth year????  Would LOVE that!!  hehe

Some more good pics from Rivals at practice day 2 at Vero

F709361.jpg

Bogan

http://usf.rivals.com/photofeature.asp?SID=1074&fid=33824

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  210
  • Days Won:  0

Bogan is a beast.

He is the rock of our receiving core. I think he is poised for a huge year and possible NFL Draft selection.

Holtzism of the Day

"T.J. is just so tall. I told Coach Fitch, 'Throw the ball up there like a hand grenade and let him catch it'."

F709392.jpg

#81  Bogan        #33  Boyd      &      #82  Knowles               

Newcomer T.J. Knowles (WR) used his huge frame to gain an advantage over the defense, hauling in numerous catches, including a fade route to the corner of the endzone from Eppes.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Thanks for the vid Mama.

One thing that bothers me watching this, is when the ball hits the ground, the coaches just resumed the drill.

IMO, any time the ball hits the ground the players need to practicing FALLING ON IT! Too many times we see them trying to pick it up and run, or bobble it all over.

I think the coaches should take the opportunity in practice to reinforce the proper behavior whenever the ball hits the ground.

:2cents

I think it was Saben who stopped that trend when he was at Miami, and I assume bama, keep players off the ground to keep them from getting hurt