• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wishing We Had A True Rival

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

You'll get no complaints from me about playing anyone. UCF still wouldn't fit the bill if we went and played everyone. I'd rather see us play the obligatory 1 AA team and then 11 BCS teams.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

The only reason most USF fans don't consider UCF a rival is because they haven't beaten us.

That may be A reason but it's not the only reason .... One of the biggest reasons is that beating them does absolutely nothing for us except Internet bragging rights ....

Guest cgossage

You'll get no complaints from me about playing anyone. UCF still wouldn't fit the bill if we went and played everyone. I'd rather see us play the obligatory 1 AA team and then 11 BCS teams.

Well I guess we can end this on agreement.  Yeah, if USF can schedule 2 more BCS teams instead we will only have one cupcake on our schedule..  But if they continue to schedule 3 cupcakes every year... well that is just annoying because I have season tickets.  ..and it would be hard to argue why we can't just include UCF on the schedule.   I do agree with someone's earlier post.. If UCF manages to get in a BCS conference, I think then we will have to play them out of necessity to win out in recruiting.  I've been to their campus and their tailgating.  It's amazing how their campus is without being in a BCS conference.  They are starting to get a good amount of recruits from Miami.  This all without being in a BCS conference.  So for now, I'll give us the upper hand, I just hope it stays that way.  With Holtz, I'm hoping it will.  He managed to win at ECU with lesser talent.  I just hope he can do the same at USF ...especially when we go play more talented teams on paper (aka Florida Gators)

Guest Sunburned

The only reason most USF fans don't consider UCF a rival is because they haven't beaten us.

That may be A reason but it's not the only reason .... One of the biggest reasons is that beating them does absolutely nothing for us except Internet bragging rights ....

What more was the Texas vs Oklahoma rivalry built on than interstate bragging rights??

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

First, if the talent isn't almost even ...why is UCF ranked almost ahead of us.  We might have more talent but not by much.  We didn't blow them out last time we played them...We won in overtime.   

Did you even watch the game that went into overtime.  If you did, you would know that USF had over 500+ yds of offense to 200 for UCF.  The only thing that saved UCF was the kickoff return for a TD by Burnett, and USF miscue (turnover I think) that gave UCF a short field when we were up by 2 TDs in the 4th.  But if you actually watched the game, outside of those things, there was a big disparity in talent...again, 500+ yds to 200 at their house.  Should have been a 3 TD spread.  Not to mention the 52 pt win the year before.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

First, if the talent isn't almost even ...why is UCF ranked almost ahead of us.  We might have more talent but not by much.  We didn't blow them out last time we played them...We won in overtime.   

Did you even watch the game that went into overtime.  If you did, you would know that USF had over 500+ yds of offense to 200 for UCF.  The only thing that saved UCF was the kickoff return for a TD by Burnett, and USF miscue (turnover I think) that gave UCF a short field when we were up by 2 TDs in the 4th.  But if you actually watched the game, outside of those things, there was a big disparity in talent...again, 500+ yds to 200 at their house.  Should have been a 3 TD spread.  Not to mention the 52 pt win the year before.

Well said. I mentioned before that this game wouldn't have been close if Greg Gregory didn't have an absolute play calling meltdown. We were up 2 scores with 4 minutes left near midfield and he's trying to throw?

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

ftu/ou/oc is usf's rival and we should never have dropped series

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Gossage sounds like a UCF homer trying to give reasons for a "rivalry" against UCF.

USF has no rivalry unfortunately.

Oklahoma and Texas are tied to the hip and the winner of that game usually has a good chance to play for a national title if not a major bowl. Been that way since the days of the SWC and continues today. Don't just throw out stupidness to throw it out. Cmon son!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

ftu/ou/oc is usf's rival and we should never have dropped series

Seriously, what more proof do we need that dropping the series the absolutely right thing to do ...  ::)

Guest Sunburned

Oklahoma and Texas are tied to the hip and the winner of that game usually has a good chance to play for a national title if not a major bowl. Been that way since the days of the SWC and continues today. Don't just throw out stupidness to throw it out. Cmon son!

Oklahoma vs Texas started in 1900, 15 years before the SWC began playing.. OU only played in the SWC for 5 seasons ('15-'19).

OU has won 7 NC's and only one of those (2000) came while UT & OU were in the same conference (B12).  How's that for "stupidness" Mr deludeBull?

As I said before  OU -Texas began as nothing more meaningful than interstate bragging rights.

Archived