• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wishing We Had A True Rival

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I have to agree with everyone who says UCF is our natural rival.

Based on what?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BUT - UCF getting into a BCS conference locks it as our rival, period. 

No it doesn't. The potential still exist that the super conferences could form down the road. UCF could certainly join the Big East, but if USF goes elsewhere within the BCS, then that doesn't lock UCF into anything concerning us.

Guest cgossage

Based on what?

Based on location. They are seperated by probably about 100 miles  (Think Duke and UNC)..Both schools started at roughly the same time.  1950s.  Both football programs are young.    Talent wise, they are almost even.   

Guest cgossage

Based on what?

Based on location. They are seperated by probably about 100 miles  (Think Duke and UNC)..Both schools started at roughly the same time.  1950s.   Both football programs are young.    Talent wise, they are almost even.   

A lot of USF fans act towards UCF fans the same way UF fans did towards FSU initially.  That rivalary had to be forced by state legislation because UF never wanted to play FSU thinking exactly how USF fans thought of UCF

Based on what?

Based on location. They are seperated by probably about 100 miles  (Think Duke and UNC)..Both schools started at roughly the same time.  1950s.   Both football programs are young.    Talent wise, they are almost even.   

If it's based on location, then we should also put UF on that list.

UCF started football almost 30 years before USF did.

No, the talent is not even.

A lot of USF fans act towards UCF fans the same way UF fans did towards FSU initially.  That rivalary had to be forced by state legislation because UF never wanted to play FSU thinking exactly how USF fans thought of UCF

You might want to check your history there. USF tried to play UCF early on were rebuffed.

State legislatures have more important things to worry about. Any team in the country is free to sechedule OOC games as they wish.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Based on what?

Based on location. They are seperated by probably about 100 miles

How's that FSU-FAMU rivalry coming along?

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

If LSU can keep the "Battle for the Rag" rivalry with Tulane then I don't see why we can do a "Battle of I-4" with UCiF.

LSU has a lot more to lose by getting beat by Tulane then we do by getting beat by UCiF.

While I like the idea of having an inter-conference game against Butgers or the Fighting Mullets we need a local geographic rival as well.

Right now USF has failed to secure an inter-conference rival and a geographic one... they tried making Miami into our geo rival, but this was destined to fail since FSU is their geo rival and FIU is their other. Normally teams only have 2 at the most.

USF Athletics needs to focus on making 2 rivalry "Trophy" games over the next 5 years.

This would go along way towards building some real tradition and building hype around our season.

Guest cgossage

Based on what?

First, if the talent isn't almost even ...why is UCF ranked almost ahead of us.  We might have more talent but not by much.  We didn't blow them out last time we played them...We won in overtime.    With the football program, I'll give you that.    But  both are still relatively young.    And both school started in the 50s

Guest cgossage

Based on what?

First, if the talent isn't almost even ...why is UCF ranked almost ahead of us.  We might have more talent but not by much.  We didn't blow them out last time we played them...We won in overtime.     With the football program, I'll give you that.     But  both are still relatively young.     And both school started in the 50s

I made a mistake, UCF is ranked ahead of us. 

Archived