• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz on 1010AM with JP at 3:15

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

We need a Big East title, way more than a win at th swamp. USF NEED that BCS Bowl money. You build the program with the mighty dollar. If you guys think that beating UF would boost recruiting. True. But playing in a BCS New Years day game would do the same. That money could help in recruiting. And also beating UF would get the program talked about maybe for a few weeks? Play and/or win a BCS bowl game, and USF would be talked about at the start of the following season.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

he said in the interview that he knows that's a huge game. It's going to give us a good idea of what level we are at nationally.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

If we beat UF, we better win the rest of our games til Miami, cause no one else on our schedule can match them talent or coaching wise. Miami has close to the same amount of talent as UF, but the coaching is suspect.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We need a Big East title, way more than a win at th swamp. USF NEED that BCS Bowl money. You build the program with the mighty dollar. If you guys think that beating UF would boost recruiting. True. But playing in a BCS New Years day game would do the same. That money could help in recruiting. And also beating UF would get the program talked about maybe for a few weeks? Play and/or win a BCS bowl game, and USF would be talked about at the start of the following season.

WVU lost $1M going to the fiesta bowl. we went thousands deep in our season ticket base to sell our allotment to UF in gainesville. do you think we stand a chance at selling 15k to a BCS bowl? we would have to buy up the remainder at $150 per ticket. BCS bowls don't payout what you think. We would probably lose money if we played in a BCS bowl anywhere other than possibly Miami.

WVU lost $1M going to the fiesta bowl. we went thousands deep in our season ticket base to sell our allotment to UF in gainesville. do you think we stand a chance at selling 15k to a BCS bowl? we would have to buy up the remainder at $150 per ticket. BCS bowls don't payout what you think. We would probably lose money if we played in a BCS bowl anywhere other than possibly Miami.

I thought in the BE that all the money from all the bowls gets divided up among the schools, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I thought in the BE that all the money from all the bowls gets divided up among the schools, correct me if I'm wrong.

it's not divided up equally. it's tiered but according to this USA today article in 2006 the supposed $17M BCS payout netted the BE rep $2.4M. In the next article it states WVU spent $3.5M to go to Fiesta bowl which includes ticket buybacks. They were paid out $2.4M so they lost a little over $1M.

excerpt:

The Big East pays schools that make a bowl game on a tiered basis, with a BCS game worth $2.4 million, the second bowl $1.6 million, the third $1.3 million and the fourth and fifth $1.1 million. "We just take all our bowl money, put it together, and we distribute it fairly," said associate commissioner Nick Carparelli, adding that the league wants to make sure schools can cover their expenses.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-12-06-bowl-payouts_x.htm

The real misconception is when somebody goes to a BCS bowl, people think you’re getting $15 million,†West Virginia senior associate athletic director Russ Sharp said. “You’re getting a fraction of that – and it costs a fortune to go to the Fiesta Bowl.â€

Sharp said that the Big East’s payout to West Virginia for its trip to the 2008 Fiesta Bowl was $2,425,600, but the school’s expenses totaled $3,495,000 – for losses of $1,069,400. Taking the 400-member band alone cost West Virginia nearly $700,000, and the school had to swallow some of its 17,500 ticket obligation.

“We lost money on that trip,†Sharp said. “It was an expensive deal.â€

http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2009/12/14/the-incongruous-math-of-college-bowls/

it's not divided up equally. it's tiered but according to this USA today article in 2006 the supposed $17M BCS payout netted the BE rep $2.4M. In the next article it states WVU spent $3.5M to go to Fiesta bowl which includes ticket buybacks. They were paid out $2.4M so they lost a little over $1M.

excerpt:

The Big East pays schools that make a bowl game on a tiered basis, with a BCS game worth $2.4 million, the second bowl $1.6 million, the third $1.3 million and the fourth and fifth $1.1 million. "We just take all our bowl money, put it together, and we distribute it fairly," said associate commissioner Nick Carparelli, adding that the league wants to make sure schools can cover their expenses.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-12-06-bowl-payouts_x.htm

The real misconception is when somebody goes to a BCS bowl, people think you’re getting $15 million,†West Virginia senior associate athletic director Russ Sharp said. “You’re getting a fraction of that – and it costs a fortune to go to the Fiesta Bowl.â€

Sharp said that the Big East’s payout to West Virginia for its trip to the 2008 Fiesta Bowl was $2,425,600, but the school’s expenses totaled $3,495,000 – for losses of $1,069,400. Taking the 400-member band alone cost West Virginia nearly $700,000, and the school had to swallow some of its 17,500 ticket obligation.

“We lost money on that trip,†Sharp said. “It was an expensive deal.â€

http://blogs.dailymail.com/wvu/2009/12/14/the-incongruous-math-of-college-bowls/

Okay, that's what I was thinking, I just knew you didn't get the whole $17 million.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

If USF goes to a Suger or a Orange Bowl, I don't think we would have problems gettin rid of tickets.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Very disappointing to me whenever he says that. Its not either/or, I want to win both. But, if the choice was one of them, beat UF all the way. That will open way more doors in FL (where we really care about) than winning the Big East but getting blown out by UF. We lose by 30 to Gators then  win Big East, here's how the casusal fan and power base in FL will look/say "Well thats cute y'all won your little conference there, but ya know ya'll  still can't compete with the big boys." 

So we beat Auburn a few years ago and FSU last year.  How did that work out for our national image when we tanked in the Big East?

You're slowly building a program with wins like that ... and it really doesn't matter what happened to our national image after the annual slide that year ... What matters is we got to #2 in the BCS poll with help from that win. That win, Kansas and FSU helped put us on the map. Obviously, we will need to win the conference at some point to maintain that image but I'll repeat one important thing, this is probably the first and last shot we get at UF for a long while, especially if we somehow win. The BE will be there next year ..... Gotta think long term here.

Respectfully disagree.  Winning the Big East puts you in a BCS bowl game.  That gets you noticed nationally.

That worked out so well for Cincy the last two years that they got out recruited by UCF this year and we smoked them in recruiting last year, per Rivals.

I'll take a Big East title.

As you said, we'll have to respectfully disagree ... 

But maybe not the year after that - at least as an auto qualifier.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

Very disappointing to me whenever he says that. Its not either/or, I want to win both. But, if the choice was one of them, beat UF all the way. That will open way more doors in FL (where we really care about) than winning the Big East but getting blown out by UF. We lose by 30 to Gators then  win Big East, here's how the casusal fan and power base in FL will look/say "Well thats cute y'all won your little conference there, but ya know ya'll  still can't compete with the big boys." 

So we beat Auburn a few years ago and FSU last year.  How did that work out for our national image when we tanked in the Big East?

You're slowly building a program with wins like that ... and it really doesn't matter what happened to our national image after the annual slide that year ... What matters is we got to #2 in the BCS poll with help from that win. That win, Kansas and FSU helped put us on the map. Obviously, we will need to win the conference at some point to maintain that image but I'll repeat one important thing, this is probably the first and last shot we get at UF for a long while, especially if we somehow win. The BE will be there next year ..... Gotta think long term here.

Respectfully disagree.  Winning the Big East puts you in a BCS bowl game.  That gets you noticed nationally.

That worked out so well for Cincy the last two years that they got out recruited by UCF this year and we smoked them in recruiting last year, per Rivals.

I'll take a Big East title.

As you said, we'll have to respectfully disagree ... 

But maybe not the year after that - at least as an auto qualifier.

Which shows you what the perception of the BE, as a conference, is ... Do you think that if you took a poll of the national sports media, asking them which is the greater accomplishment, an ooc opponent winning @ G'ville or winning the BE, the overwhelming majority would say winning the BE? .... I sure don't.

Archived