• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz on 1010AM with JP at 3:15

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Very disappointing to me whenever he says that. Its not either/or, I want to win both. But, if the choice was one of them, beat UF all the way. That will open way more doors in FL (where we really care about) than winning the Big East but getting blown out by UF. We lose by 30 to Gators then  win Big East, here's how the casusal fan and power base in FL will look/say "Well thats cute y'all won your little conference there, but ya know ya'll  still can't compete with the big boys." 

So we beat Auburn a few years ago and FSU last year.  How did that work out for our national image when we tanked in the Big East?

You're slowly building a program with wins like that ... and it really doesn't matter what happened to our national image after the annual slide that year ... What matters is we got to #2 in the BCS poll with help from that win. That win, Kansas and FSU helped put us on the map. Obviously, we will need to win the conference at some point to maintain that image but I'll repeat one important thing, this is probably the first and last shot we get at UF for a long while, especially if we somehow win. The BE will be there next year ..... Gotta think long term here.

Respectfully disagree.  Winning the Big East puts you in a BCS bowl game.  That gets you noticed nationally.

That worked out so well for Cincy the last two years that they got out recruited by UCF this year and we smoked them in recruiting last year, per Rivals.

I'll take a Big East title.

As you said, we'll have to respectfully disagree ... 

But maybe not the year after that - at least as an auto qualifier.

Which shows you what the perception of the BE, as a conference, is ... Do you think that if you took a poll of the national sports media, asking them which is the greater accomplishment, an ooc opponent winning @ G'ville or winning the BE, the overwhelming majority would say winning the BE? .... I sure don't.

So just playing along here.  We don't win the Big East, so we don't get to a BCS bowl game, the Big East disappears, USF ends up in a non auto qualifying conference so pretty much will NEVER get to a BCS bowl game.  But we beat UF.  OK, you've convinced me  ;) 

I'll still take a BE title and at least one shot at going to New Orleans or Miami for a close to New Year's Day game.  I'll take my chances on a butt whooping once we get there.  It happened at the Sun Bowl so I can take it.

Neither of us is going to convince the other.  But it's fun trying. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived