• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball recruiting: Some names to watch

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

6-6 Wing Forward Durand Johnson commits to Pitt today. :(

Did I miss his name up there somewhere?

Well since I can't edit my original post I couldn't put his name with the rest of them. USF had been recruiting him since last season and offered him a scholarship a couple of months ago. We were very much interested but as the trend has been with basketball recruiting USF loses out on a guy that they will have to play against in the Big East.

Yeah, good point, Trips. With the recent commits to other schools, would anyone be so kind to post an updated list of names that USF is still in the hunt for?

And in the spirit of the Pan American University Games in Brazil, "obrigado."

Some names I assume we are still on their list are Shane Larkin, Tyler Harris, Greg Lewis, Mike Taylor, Patrick Lucas Perry, Vinny Zollo, and that's it off the top of my head.

I hope this doesn't happen again because the program can't grow that way, but we might have to search the transfer wire and see what USF can dig up from the JC ranks one more time. :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

It's clear that Heath has chosen to bank on transfers and Juco for the time being. With USF having no tradition and lackluster facilities, what other option does he have? If USF can build upon last season consistently, then I think we'll be more attractive to more of the high school kids.

Stan_Heath_bigger.jpg

Coach_Heath

Whew! Last day of summer recruiting. Real pleased with where we are with our 2011 guys.

about 4 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

http://twitter.com/Coach_Heath

Hmm I remember Heath saying almost the same thing last year about the 2010 class and he ended up swinging and missing on all the HS talent.

I'll been monitoring recruiting closely and I'm starting to see a very similar trend. Jacoby Davis a PG out of NC has committed to North Florida. Reportedly he had an offer from USF.

Mike Taylor has narrowed his list to 6 schools that does include USF but the way he's talking he wants to play at either SJU or Rutgers. USF has a chance IF he wants to play away from close to home.

Right now USF is in last place with the 2011 class when it comes to momentum. Stan really needs a breakthrough in recruiting or the program will sink right back to the bottom of the league.

• Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

Stan_Heath_bigger.jpg

Coach_Heath

Whew! Last day of summer recruiting. Real pleased with where we are with our 2011 guys.

Hmm I remember Heath saying almost the same thing last year about the 2010 class and he ended up swinging and missing on all the HS talent.

I'll been monitoring recruiting closely and I'm starting to see a very similar trend. Jacoby Davis a PG out of NC has committed to North Florida. Reportedly he had an offer from USF.

Mike Taylor has narrowed his list to 6 schools that does include USF but the way he's talking he wants to play at either SJU or Rutgers. USF has a chance IF he wants to play away from close to home.

Right now USF is in last place with the 2011 class when it comes to momentum. Stan really needs a breakthrough in recruiting or the program will sink right back to the bottom of the league.

I don't know why anyone would want to play at UNF.  I used to go to school there and they have one of the worst bball teams I have ever seen.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

"Reportedly" by who?

"Reportedly" by who?

It was premium content.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

"Reportedly" by who?

It was premium content.

Whose?

And the only reason I ask is that I couldn't find USF and him tied together anywhere. An offer means we had serious interest and then lose him to UNF?? I'd like to hear a little more about this story .... something ain't right.

"Reportedly" by who?

It was premium content.

Whose?

And the only reason I ask is that I couldn't find USF and him tied together anywhere. An offer means we had serious interest and then lose him to UNF?? I'd like to hear a little more about this story .... something ain't right.

Check your inbox

Stan_Heath_bigger.jpg

Coach_Heath

I don't know why anyone would want to play at UNF.  I used to go to school there and they have one of the worst bball teams I have ever seen.

Well imo USF shouldn't be losing players to UCF either and I don't care what kind of facilities they have. A Big East school should not and cannot lose good caliber players to UCF and actually expect to climb up in that rough of a league. I'm hoping once recruits can actually see a fully built state-of-art practice facility on campus our recruiting of HS talent will look like we belong in the Big East instead of the Sunbelt or the MAC.

• 4 weeks later...

PF Vinny Zollo is no longer an option it appears. I wasn't high on him anyway but he was a guy USF had interest in.

Archived