• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

EXPANSION THREAD: KU/KSU/ISU/MU to BIG EAST

Should BE invite KU and KSU right NOW!  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

If it were me, I'd be proactive and raid the Big 12, taking Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri. If the BE has truly built it's own television network, or honestly intends to, the other conferences would have to stop and take notice, because a 24 team basketball 16 team football conference would put a huge hurt on the Big Ten, and be lucrative to schools in conference that could be raiding the BE. And it would take raiding the ACC to get to 16 football teams. Raid them before they raid us.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

I agree with swamprat to a point.  I still think we have to "lose" someone (preferably RU/ND and not Pitt/Cuse/UConn) before we expand; 18-24 becomes too large.  Then offer spots to Mizzou/KU (ISU/K-State not so much) so that if the ACC gets a big bite taken out of them by the SEC, we would be in a stronger position to attract their teams rather than the other way around.

I never really understood the BigTen's fascination with Rutgers.  They don't provide the NYC market.  Once I read on one of the BigTen's message boards that RU would be "great," like having another Northwestern (patsy in large market not posing a threat on the field/court - they actually said as much).  Same argument for Colorado (Denver TV)to the Pac10.  Grabbing for the easy money now -- style over substance -- will eventually catch up with them when people realize that Rutgers vs Minnesota is junk, despite the "BigTen" label slapped on it.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Running realignment blog: 6-11

By Chris Williams, CycloneFanatic.com Publisher

4:11 p.m. – Here is the complete transcript from an interview I just conducted with Jim Williams, a columnist from the Washington Examiner. He’s the same writer who earlier today reported that Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and possibly Missouri have spoken with the Big East Conference.

Jim Williams: Somebody called me a liar from the Big East? I’m stunned.

If you look at the body of what I wrote, and I’ve updated it since which includes the fact that I have talked to five people of different institutions who are highly placed sources within the athletic departments. They are very keen on the idea of exploring the opportunity to have Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas and possibly Missouri. I don’t think anybody knows for sure what is going on there. These people have decided, what does it hurt to talk? What does it hurt to explore what each side can bring to the table? You’ve got a guy in commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who has been brought on as an advisor. As you well know, Tagliabue is very much connected to the Midwest. He knows what is out there. He has been involved in a number of different things out there and is very comfortable with the lay of the land. I don’t think that this is a scary situation to anyone. I think what it is, is two things. One, the Big East doesn’t want to get crushed by some possible poaching by either the Big Ten or the ACC. That happened to them before and it was a devastating situation. The want to know what makes the most sense for them going forward. When the Big 12 situation began to unravel a little bit, then you guys, along with Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri somewhat became available, it made a lot of sense to begin conversations. What I am reporting is that most everyone who I have spoken to at the institutions I spoke to which includes: South Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville, West Virginia and Georgetown. They all thought that the concept of opening the door to the possibility made a lot of sense.

Does that mean that everybody is getting invited? No. It means that it is now time to sit down and talk. That is pretty much what I reported.

CW: The Big East writer I talked to told me that he felt if the four Big 12 schools entered the conference, ultimately the Georgetown’s, Villanova’s and Providence’s of the world wouldn’t want to be in that league with 20 teams. Have you heard anything like this?

JW: No. I talked to Georgetown for God’s sake. Remember this. This is what drives me nuts about people who do this crap. Paul Tagliabue graduated from Georgetown. Do you honestly think that a Georgetown alum who still goes to their basketball games, is going to work for the Big East just to develop a 12-team conference that would knock out basketball? That makes no sense. What your getting is blowback from some of the schools who don’t like the idea of not getting home and home circumstances. It is a brand new world. Whether people want to understand this or not, there are going to be compromises that are going to have to be made.

At the end of the day, both basketball and football drive this. What makes sense is, if you’re Iowa State, Kansas State or a school like Cincinnati, you have a budget. How much money am I going to lose if this conference goes in an alternate universe? How much do I make if I have to go to a Mountain West?

Georgetown is welcoming me with open arms. They understand that at the end of the day, to develop a sports network, that the Big East is attempting to look into, to develop a long-term global plan that makes sense to all of these teams in a new conference, you have to look at eyeballs, synergy and history. You guys were part of what was one of the most historic conferences in history, the Big 8. Basketball wise, the Big East, when they started, was historically one of the top basketball conferences but also had football. They needed, and still need, to make football more relevant. The four schools that you are involved with, forgetting Baylor because that makes no sense, along with the possibility of Memphis or UCF from CUSA, brings together a conference that is relevant today but because of the upstarts at South Florida and perhaps UCF and we don’t know if they are or not, that makes the conference relevant for years to come. I have been involved in the sports business as a producer and director for ESPN, as well as developing regional sports networks. When I talk to people, it is athletic directors and their assistants who understand whether the fans want to believe it or not, this is a bottom line business. The athletic director is the CEO of a company. If I am the CEO of Iowa State University and I just got hit with what in essence is an unknown circumstance that my budget that I knew was nine or 10 million dollars has gone away from me. I need to figure out what is going on so I don’t lose sports and so I don’t have to cut back in any way, shape or form from my Olympic sports. I need to look at what makes the most sense. What makes the most sense for me is to get in a conference that needs me as much as I need them. The Big East Conference is one football wise that needs these four schools, as much as they need it.

I have spoken to people within the conference who are damned that a 20-team conference could be around. They don’t want any part of it. Well that is fine. You can say that. But if you really want a conference to be around at all and be relevant, than you better get into the real world. This is a real world situation. Whether we want to admit it or not admit it or whatever, that is fine. In the year 2010 and beyond, you have to make your conference relevant. The PAC 10 by literally saying that they don’t care if they blow up the Big 12, they are looking at their bottom line. They want Texas and Texas A&M. If they have to bring other people with them, then cool. The SEC can keep chatting with A&M and Oklahoma all they want. But at the end of the day, if Oklahoma wants to keep playing Texas, they’ll go with them.

All I am saying that is what I printed, I totally 100 percent sourced out to everybody I sourced it out to. Nobody in there has ever said, nor did I report, that they are committed to doing anything other than sitting down and begin the process of talking. I don’t see how that is a bad thing under any circumstance. They will take a phone call from Iowa State. They will do their due diligence and they will look at the possibility of making this happen. If it makes economic sense for everybody, then that will be the bottom line for everyone. If economically it makes sense for everyone for this to happen, it will happen. If it doesn’t, it won’t. Welcome to college sports in 2010, 2014 and beyond. That is what it all boils down to.

I fully expect, without question, that Iowa State, Kansas State and Kansas will be speaking to the Big East about the future.

3:37 p.m. - I just had a lengthy conversation with with Jim Williams of the Washington Examiner. “Somebody called me a liar from the Big East? I’m stunned,†he said. Full interview coming.

2:28 p.m. – BIG EAST WRITER REFUTES RUMOR

Iowa State to the Big East? That rumor has been picking up steam as Friday has rolled along.

CLICK HERE to read a report published earlier today by the Washington Inquirer, which mentions Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Missouri in association to the Big East Conference.

One of the Big East’s most plugged in writers, Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal, told CycloneFanatic.com moments ago that there is no truth to the report.

“That is an irresponsible Internet report,†McNamara said. I can tell you right now that if they went and got four teams from the Big 12, the Big East would cease to exist because the basketball schools would split.â€

So let’s say that the Big East would decide to consider the Big 12 “leftovers.â€

According to McNamara, who recently wrote the book entitled “Basketball Warfare: Life in the Big East Conference,†the league’s prestigious basketball schools would more than likely jet.

“They aren’t going to have a 20 team basketball league,†McNamara said. “What kind of a conference tournament do you have with 20 teams? It is impossible. Villanova, Georgetown, Providence and St. Johns don’t want to be in the same league as Iowa State and Kansas State. I can guarantee you that. It is a football decision.â€

In fact, McNamara doesn’t even believe the reports that the entire Big 12 South is on their way to the new PAC 16.

“I think that anyone who is writing that they are all going to go in concert is obviously incorrect,†McNamara said. “Texas is going to be a real problem. Texas can move independently. A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor have to have something to stand on. The PAC 16 sounds good but let’s see if they can pull it off.â€

Keep in mind that this is just one man’s opinion on the topic. But he’s a very well informed man in the Big East.

McNamara will be on 1460 KXNO with Matt Perrault at 4:15 this afternoon. You’ll also be able to hear the interview on www.kxno.com.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/football/running-realignment-blog-6-11

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

I find it ammusing that the writer at a newspaper can refute who the conference is talking to.

That would be like if Greg Auman told someone he knows who the Big East commissioner has and hasn't talked to.

So does this guy have every member of the Big East's offices bugged?

I am sure offhand, Providence has no interest in expanding but if in the end it keeps their conference together or increases revenue....they have to consider it.

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

reports are now saying kansas will be invited to the pac 10 if A&M go to the SEC.

I find it ammusing that the writer at a newspaper can refute who the conference is talking to.

That would be like if Greg Auman told someone he knows who the Big East commissioner has and hasn't talked to.

So does this guy have every member of the Big East's offices bugged?

I am sure offhand, Providence has no interest in expanding but if in the end it keeps their conference together or increases revenue....they have to consider it.

That's not really what he's saying.

Here is what happens:

1 - Schools in the Big East talk amongst themselves.  Someone mentions what about talking to the Big 12 schools.

2 - Those schools talk to the Big 12 schools.

3 - The CONFERENCE STAFF does not talk to the Big 12 schools at all.

4 - The Examiner reporter calls the Big East schools.  Get's confirmation there have been talks.

5 - Other reporters call the conference, who says there haven't been talks.

So you get two different stories because you have different reporters talking to different sources who are telling what they believe to be the truth.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Enjoyed reading this article.

Column: Why Go West When You Can Go East?

http://www.bringonthecats.com/2010/6/12/1514816/column-why-go-west-when-you-can-go

Look at the poll results:

Would you rather Kansas State go to...

71% The Big East 72 votes

15%The Mountain West 16 votes

12%The Big 12 (in whatever form it may be) 13 votes

101 votes | Vote

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I guess I must have missed the Maryland rumor...

However ESPN is reporting that A&M or A&M and UT will be going to the SEC which will start a new series of raids this year which will impact the ACC and the Big East.

As much as aTm wants the SEC, they are better off staying with UT and going to the PAC 10. There is no way that UT is going to the SEC.

• Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

We won't hear a whole lot more until TX announces they are leaving.  Then, things will really heat up fast about these schools to the BE.

Archived