• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Scouting John Brantley

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Brantley is the x factor in this game. There is really not much we can do to prepare for him considering there is very limited tape to watch.

The starting qb is the x factor?

Strange, but true.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't see how good the kid can be, if Meyer came out right away and said that he's pulling him on 3rd & short plays.

Or maybe that means that Meyer doesn't know how to run a pro-style offense on 3rd & short and just his gimmicky spread offense, which has just 4 plays.

There have been MANY MANY MANY top qb recruits out of high school that bust out when they finally start.

The kid's a passer and not a running QB so they will bring in a running QB that causes the defense to have to defend multiple options.  Also LOL @ the offense having 4 plays and being a "gimmick" i wish we had a gimmicky offense that could get us 2 national titles. Instead we had a 8 play offense that got us bottom 1/2 finishes in the BE.  I mean really that whole post is just full of fail. 

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

If we don't put him on the ground early and often it's going to be a very long game. 

I think we have the ability to do so. But, I see the secondary getting burned for a couple big plays as a result.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think Brantley could be seeing hype as one of the top NFL QB prospects come December. He reminds me a lot of Colt McCoy with a NFL body.

That being said its his second start, which bodes well for us. It will all depend on the secondary keeping their receivers in check.

• Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

One benefit for us was that Urban wanted to give Tebow all the yards he could create and that kept Brantley off the field last year.  They had plenty of opportunities to get him snaps and left him on the bench.

I hope our corners will contain their deep routes and that gives the new DEs a chance to make an impression, on Brantley's head.  However, if we can keep the plays inside it should keep the score low. 

Funny, but the biggest X factor I see is USF, even we do not know what we will look like.  I hope Coach Holtz can create that miracle balance of getting the team up for the play, but calm enough they do not overplay and lose their balance.  It will be a big, big, game going into the Swampa$$ and having 90K retards doing that chomp all game.  If they can keep their heads on the 100 yards of greent the Bulls will win.

• Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

Watched the spring game the kid is good. Like most on here the only was to stop him is get him on the ground ASAP. He has the arm to create points fast. He has a great fade to his deep balls keeping is away from defenders. If we can't get past there O line it will be a long day for us.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

From what I've read, the Gators' O-line is one of the weaker groups on the team, but they do have some competent guys stepping in, and we all know they recruit pretty good talent.

Their receiving corps is unproven, at best. Most of the guys are big names, but don't have a ton of experience. Most of them are 'supposed' to be good, but Week 2 won't be a measuring stick, since I'm sure the whole team will put up inflated numbers beating up on Miami, Ohio, in Week 1.

Brantley is good. I thought Brantley did start once last year when TT was out with his concussion, or was that during their bye week? He did get some playing time against the first 2 cupcakes, and he did OK vs Kentucky when TT was knocked out. To be honest, I think Brantley would have been smarter to go to another school where he could be developed to his full potential, but hopefully Meyer can fit the offense around him.

The Gators still have their same running corps with Rainey, Demps, and Moody I think. There's another 2-3 guys that are pretty fast, but not starters yet.

Gators D will be reloading to a point as well, so I think if USF can get some early pressure on their O-line, and be diverse enough on offense in both running and passing, it will be a decent game.

• Content Count:  31
  • Days Won:  0

UF returns 4 out of 5 starters on the offensive line.  They will have 3 seniors in that starting bunch.  OL is actually considered a strength for UF in the coming season. 

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

He's a great QB and we will have to keep him down.  I am more worried about Florida's Defense.  I don't care how many people they lost, the D is still a beast.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I don't see how good the kid can be, if Meyer came out right away and said that he's pulling him on 3rd & short plays.

Or maybe that means that Meyer doesn't know how to run a pro-style offense on 3rd & short and just his gimmicky spread offense, which has just 4 plays.

LOL.  Meyer won a National Championship with Chris Leake at QB.  I think the Gators will somehow muddle through... ::)

Archived