• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Missouri, Nebraska, Syracuse, Pitt, and Rutgers to Big Ten per Peter King

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

From a recruiting standpoint, I would imagine the recruits will know what schools will be where prior to signing day. I suppose this could drag on past February 2011 but that would be hard to believe.

Again, I still have a hard time buying any report that includes Pitt in the expansion. The only sense Pitt makes is getting you to 16, but then you are giving away a 1/16 share of the money and Pitt doesn't really bring anything new revenue-wise to the table. Penn State already gets you all of the Pennsylvania market so why would you go and add Pitt? If you must have 16 teams and you are going to add Mizzou and Nebraska....wouldn't it make more sense from a revenue standpoint to go after Colorado?

Colorado??? WTF? Have you read any of the reports on B10 expansion??? Pitt is clearly a top candidate, you need to get up to speed bro.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Yes I have heard the reports. Mind you I don't just read the report and take it at face value. I try to understand the impetus behind the selections. You are good at finding articles and posting them. But do the articles make sense?

So you tell me Atlanta Bull.....why Pitt? What do they bring to the Big Ten that the Big Ten already doesn't have with Penn State and Ohio State? Are there any TV's that Pitt will add that the BTN doesn't already have with Penn State? The only thing I can figure is they do fit into the footprint and they would be a close rival for Penn State. Yet does Penn State want that? Is it worth giving away a 1/16 share for nothing? That is why I would conclude they may only expand to 14.

Read this article from a while back. It makes my point.

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2010/03/addition_of_pitt_wouldnt_exten.html

Yes Colorado would add more TV revenue than Pitt BTW. Colorado would give you nearly all of Colorado and the Mountain Region. 

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Colorado isn't going to the Big 10. They'll go to the PAC 10 if they want out of the Big 12.

If the Big 10 is going to reach that far from its base of teams, then why not come to FL and get a program? They'll open up a nice pipline for the other programs from a recruiting standpoint.

• Content Count:  185
  • Days Won:  0

I personally do not see the Big Ten controlling college football like all of you are stating. Either congress will step in or all the conferences as a whole will and trump the Big Ten. The Big ten is nothing exciting in football! I guess you all have missed the last 10 years where Ohio State or any other Big 11 team has been over rated and dominated by an SEC/Pac10/Big 12 team in the big games. Granted they might have the academics but when all is said and done the all mighty dollar is what matters. No one is going to sit on the sidelines on this one like the last one and ALL conferences will be proactive and do what is best as a whole. I live in the Midwest and football is NOWHERE near as popular as it is in the south/southwest or west coast. The only thing they have is the Big ten Network and that is not an impenetrable force. If the Big Ten does get some of the teams from the big east and big 12 there will already be a plan set in place to fill all of the spots that are leftover from those conferences. I'm sorry but if the Big Ten takes Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers, Pitt and Syracuse I still feel the SEC can add four teams easily and be by FAR a much better conference. Unless global warming happens really really fast, the real athletes are not going to move up to the Midwest to play ball and will be the ultimate factor, since if you don't have a product if you have nothing to sell.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

the reason the big ten would go to 16 teams is because they need programming. they don't own the big ten network. it's a partnership with Fox. Fox wants more households and more viewers and more programming.

no other conference needs programming as they have contracts in place with espn, etc. there is no incentive for them to expand. if the BE gets raided for that many teams then expect us to become c-usa part 2. there is no way the ACC or SEC will expand.

• Content Count:  505
  • Days Won:  0

I don't see the B10 adding more than one team and getting the championship game. Anymore and how do they maintain the $22M+ per team payout? I can't see the SEC or ACC adding anyone, as again how do they find anyone to increase their current payouts? Law of dimishing returns and I personally believe that most if not all the current conferences are at that point. Only the big east could benefit from stealing another team at this point.

The bigger question is how do the big schools maintain their nonprofit status? That could hurt smaller schools the most. Take away the tax benefit of donating to schools and the big conferences will rule even more because they still will have all that tv money. Smaller conference teams will lose more because they really need donors.

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Colorado isn't going to the Big 10. They'll go to the PAC 10 if they want out of the Big 12.

If the Big 10 is going to reach that far from its base of teams, then why not come to FL and get a program? They'll open up a nice pipline for the other programs from a recruiting standpoint.

I agree, the Big Ten is not going all the way out to Colorado. My point in mentioning Colorado, is from what the Big Ten is trying to do, Colorado makes a lot more sense than Pitt.....and Colorado doesn't make any sense so why would they invite Pitt. The only thing I can come up with for Pitt, is it would be the most devastating loss for the Big East. Would they really just take a team out of spite? Lose money by dividing up the pie further but knock out another conference in the process? Maybe just to make JoePa happy?!? That doesn't make much sense either.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

colorado is going to pac 10

• Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

Cool, lets join the Big 12!

• Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

I highly doubt Peter King has any inside knowledge on this one.

You weren't the same one wondering who The National Football Post was and why should you believe them were you? Peter King is one of the top 5 reporters on football. Why believe him? Riight.

Archived