• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FSU and Clemson to SEC rumor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

That UK Vandy bit was an April Fools joke.  As for the SEC expanding, I think they wait to see what the Big 10 will do.  If they feel a need to go to 14 or 16 teams, they try to get Texas and Oklahoma, with spots for 2 others if they go to 16 (one may have to be Texas A&M for Texas to go).  Texas would be the big plum in the expansion deal and open the SEC to the number 2 state in population.  It would be huge.  I would love having USF in the SEC, with sold out stadiums each game and some great road trips.  I think we are a better fit than Miami.  FSU, I don't know.

I can see the Big 10 taking Nebraska or Missouri more so than Uconn, Syracuse, Rutgers, or Pitt, but then who knows what will happen.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

WIth all this super conference talk has anyone else had this thought? Can one conference have TOO MANY good teams? I have often thought about this with the Big East basketball conference. It is huge and it has generally 8 or more REALLY good teams. It is entertaining but sometimes the schedule seems a bit much. The SEC football schedule seems that way. If the SEC could add Texas and Oklahoma my question would be: TOO Much?

big_burger_2.png

• Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

Didn't you guys learn anything from the whole Tweeter/Pitt/Big X rumor?, you know, the one in which a press conference was supposedly all set for the announcement according to Pitt player's tweets a few months back. I'm still waiting for that press conference...

• Content Count:  1,241

If Syracuse and UConn arent picked up by the big 10, and the ACC expands, those will be the first 2 in. Those 2 teams are perfect fits for everything the ACC is looking for.

Our only shot at the ACC imo is the big 10 taking Mizzou, Pitt, Rutgers, Uconn and Syracuse, and the SEC taking FSU and Clemson. ND decides to stay independent.

Big 12 takes Louisville, ACC takes WVU and USF.

Most likely, USF, UL, UC, WVU, Uconn, and maybe Pitt will be stuck forming a new conference with a bunch of c-usa schools.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

If Syracuse and UConn arent picked up by the big 10, and the ACC expands, those will be the first 2 in. Those 2 teams are perfect fits for everything the ACC is looking for.

Our only shot at the ACC imo is the big 10 taking Mizzou, Pitt, Rutgers, Uconn and Syracuse, and the SEC taking FSU and Clemson. ND decides to stay independent.

Most likely, USF, UL, UC, WVU, Uconn, and maybe Pitt will be stuck forming a new conference with a bunch of c-usa schools.

This is what we all fear. That is exactly what we tried getting away from when we joined the Big East. Now, its looking like c-doa will be the new Big East unless the football gods somehow align the stars and have everything work out perfectly.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf will be going somewhere

clemson will not leave gamecocks

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

mizzou int leaving

• Content Count:  276

This rumor isn't new, check this one, where the dude says he heard from officials.

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2009/4/1/817521/breaking-sec-and-acc-to-swap-uk

Breaking: SEC and ACC to Swap UK, Vandy for Clemson, FSU

Gator-f__custom__tiny by Year2 on Apr 1, 2009 6:15 AM EDT Comment 8 comments

If you thought the days of conference realignment were over after the ACC’s raid of the Big East a few years back, think again.

I have learned from a source close to league offices that the SEC and ACC have reached a preliminary agreement to do the unprecedented: exchange member schools. Kentucky and Vanderbilt will be going to the ACC’s Atlantic Division, while Clemson and Florida State will join the SEC East.

On the surface, it makes sense.

Clemson and Florida State are football schools and will fit right in with the SEC’s culture. Adding them in place of two of the conference’s weaker football programs helps ensure the SEC’s status as the top league for the sport. Those two also now unite with in-state rivals South Carolina and Florida, which allows all four of them more flexibility in non-conference scheduling.

As an added bonus, Clemson and FSU are closer to the other member schools than the comparatively remote Vandy and Kentucky. That could help both the 10 existing members and the two new ones save on travel costs, a big plus in the current economic environment.

The ACC is reportedly interested in Vanderbilt for its academics and proximity to the large Nashville metropolitan area. Adding Kentucky gives the conference another power with which to battle the Big East for basketball supremacy.

There has been no decision finalized yet on whether the SEC will try to renegotiate its contract with ESPN as a result of the move. Right now it appears the conference will wait until the economy improves to ask for more money, though that could change in the coming weeks.

As college sports become more and more of a business, I wouldn’t be surprised to see other moves taking place. Off the top of my head, I’d say Boston College going back to the Big East with South Florida going to the ACC at the very least makes sense geographically.

Obviously this is big news and we won’t know the full ramifications for years. It will be fascinating to monitor the situation over the next few weeks as more details emerge.

Dateline, April 1, 2009.

Sorry you got sucked in by a year-old April Fool's joke.

No way is the ACC taking on any more private schools.  If we have any hope of coming close to the revenue of the Big 10 and SEC, we will be looking to big state schools in big media markets, which is why USF and UCF make sense to the ACC.

West Virginia's desirability is way, WAY overrated.  No media market impact whatsoever.

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

usf will be going somewhere

clemson will not leave gamecocks

Huh? What do you mean Clemson wont leave the Gamecocks? They're already in separate conferences.

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Guys (and gals) the last ACC expansion focused on ONE HUGE thing along with football...academics. They wouldn't even look at WVU or Louisville because of this in 2003-2004.

Duke, Virginia, Wake Forest, and UNC made it a requirement for them to agree.

909 - so long as we're in that range any ACC expansion inclusion will be unlikely.

I will bet just about any amount of money that when the next APR comes out USF is above 925.

Archived