• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bill could elevate UF's status in state - (This can and will affect USF sports)

TBBull717

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

But more importantly the USF degree most of us have.

Did anyone read this article or similar ones in regional papers? All I have to say is f*** politicians and their private agendas. I for one am contacting my representative and urging him to vote NO on this cr@p.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100327/ARTICLE/3271044?p=1&tc=pg

TALLAHASSEE - A bill approved unanimously by a Senate committee could result in the University of Florida being designated the state's elite school.

ELITE SCHOOL?

Florida's universities would be ranked under

proposal

The bill by Sen. Evelyn Lynn, a Republican whose district includes parts of Marion County, would require the Florida Board of Governors, which oversees Florida's 11 public universities, to rank the schools and determine if any of them are flagship universities.

Under the proposal, a flagship university is a research institution with international impact. It would be given freedom to compete with similar institutions in other states through specific projects and exemptions assigned to it by the Legislature and the Board of Governors.

Jane Adams, UF's vice president for university relations, who attended the meeting with President Bernie Machen, Provost Joe Glover and other university officials, said UF is the only state university that meets the criteria for a flagship university.

Adams and Machen said the proposal does not bring more money to the university.

"This is not about money. This is to allow us to be what we want to be," Machen said. "We want to compete on an international level.

"This is to recognize the unique mission of the University of Florida," Machen added. "We are worried that we are going to be put in a box with the other universities. This will make it easier for BOG to recognize the unique mission of all the universities," Machen said.

Although Lynn's bill does not specifically mention the University of Florida, there was little doubt that was the focus of her legislation. Lynn received her doctorate of education from UF.

Her bill would require the Board of Governors to align the missions of its universities by the quality of its students, the national reputation of its faculty and academic research programs, the quality of externally generated research, patents and licenses.

"We should have a school in Florida that is as good as MIT," Lynnsaid, adding that she doesn't want to create a tiered system but recognize each of the state's universities for its specific goals and missions.

The bill now will head to the full Senate.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  89

This is the second time that this has been tried. Back in the late 70's this was proposed.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

LOL at a school in FL as good as MIT.

Will never happen, not in a state that could care less about education.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I would go R. Kelly on Senator Lynn if this ever got approved. Anyone who doesn't realize the direct long term impact on USF is blind. Furthermore, UF will never be considered an equivalent of MIT. I don't care where this windbag got her doctorate from. Too funny how Southern schools always want to be considered as equivalent to the nation's top schools in the Northeast.

• Content Count:  971

what a crock of tebow!  GB!!

but honestly what are the chances of this happening....

I found this on FSU's Warchant site. Not sure how accurate it is as I'm not familiar with the inner workings of our political system.

"By the way, next stop is Higher Education Appropriations, chaired by Senator Lynn (it's her bill), so it'll clear the that hurdle. After that, it's on to Ways and Means, chaired by JD Alexander. He's Ben Hill Griffin's grandson, so it will have no trouble at that level, either. After that, it goes to the Senate Floor."

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

What would the bill do exactly.

They mention no funds would be changed.. but then.. whats the purpose of it?

If they give more preference to UF.. then that means giving more funds to UF

Also.. will this do a tier based college system like the last time it was discussed?

What would the bill do exactly.

They mention no funds would be changed.. but then.. whats the purpose of it?

If they give more preference to UF.. then that means giving more funds to UF

Also.. will this do a tier based college system like the last time it was discussed?

It seems to me that UF would get first dibs on all research projects. Their wouldn't be a tiered system, more so, UF then the rest of the pack.

The biggest implication would be the a perceived notion (which would be correct if passed) that UF is the best public school academically in the state. This in turn trickles down to employers valuing a UF degree over the pack and even further down to potential students and student athletes putting UF on a pedestal over USF, FSU, UCF, FAMU, etc.

That's what I get out of this anyway. 

• Content Count:  5,241

so how bout the chances of other Florida school obtaining that status in the future?

And it sounds like it would be more difficult to let great athletes with bad grades (aka 90% of top football recruits) in to a "elite" school

Archived