• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deonte Welch WR/Ath

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

we should e-mail them and get em to evaluate!!!....like rivals did for claude

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

He had that email address listed in one of the recent threads. He sent it to someone who he thought was good at getting stuff done.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

We should do the same for Gunsby. I'm pretty sure if he would have committed to Florida. They would've gave him a 4 star ranking.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

He had that email address listed in one of the recent threads. He sent it to someone who he thought was good at getting stuff done.

Thats was for rivals

Thats was for rivals

Well one of these Scout mods that are always in here should step up.

It's kind of great that they got this done after he committed on the eve of NSD. It just goes to  show the relative value of rankings. What I really love is how they sometimes change after a player commits to some different school. If its a highly ranked school the players ranking will go up, if the school is relatively obscure his ranking will go down. Guess they rightly figure that schools  know much better than they, who is a strong prospect and who isn't. I mean the guys they have ranking these kids can't get jobs at prestigious institutions so they work at the services. Kind of speaks for itself, huh?

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

It's kind of great that they got this done after he committed on the eve of NSD. It just goes to  show the relative value of rankings. What I really love is how they sometimes change after a player commits to some different school. If its a highly ranked school the players ranking will go up, if the school is relatively obscure his ranking will go down. Guess they rightly figure that schools  know much better than they, who is a strong prospect and who isn't. I mean the guys they have ranking these kids can't get jobs at prestigious institutions so they work at the services. Kind of speaks for itself, huh?

star rankings are to appease schools... thats why u see a player get downgraded when they go from a school like UF to a school like UCF.

we must remember that the teams with LARGE subscription bases often have high star rankings :P

star rankings are to appease schools... thats why u see a player get downgraded when they go from a school like UF to a school like UCF.

we must remember that the teams with LARGE subscription bases often have high star rankings :P

Someone explain to me, how the size of a schools "subscription base" is relevant to the talent of a player and his subsequent ranking. We need a "Scout" definition for that gobbletygook.

• 3 months later...

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I came across this article and thought I should post it here for posterity.  ;D

March 4th, 2010 05:04pm

Welch has been one to watch

by John Patton

Two-and-a-half years ago, I got a call from Williston football coach Jamie Baker.

Jamie is not one of those guys who goes overboard pushing every aspect of his team as if we should ignore everyone else (trust me, those people exist). But he had someone he wanted to talk about that day.

Now, this probably isn’t a word-for-word exact quote, but what he said was something along the lines of, “We have this sophomore running back who I think is going to wind up being a major Division I prospect. He’s pretty special. Do you think you guys might want to do an A-to-Z on him?â€

We did, and ever since then I’ve made sure to follow Deonte Welch’s prep career very closely.

And it was a good one.

Prior to signing with South Florida (selecting the Bulls over scholarship offers from Arkansas and Illinois), Welch, who will play receiver in college, earned The Gainesville Sun’s small-school offensive football player of the year award.

He was named second-team all-state in Class 2B, despite my extremely vocal objections to the sports writer compiling the teams that Welch was an unquestioned first-teamer. Sadly, he was punished for not having many carries in blowout games and thus, rushing for only 1,324 yards as a senior. Yeah, I guess compassion can be a bad thing sometimes.

Anyway, unless he decides to play a spring sport, Welch’s WHS career concluded with a 77-63 loss to Fort Lauderdale Pine Crest in the FHSAA Class 3A boys basketball state semifinals on Wednesday.

Like he always seemed to do, Welch filled up the stat sheet, recording 12 points, nine rebounds, three assists and three steals. That point total was second on the team (behind junior guard Jacques Edwards’ 18) for the game, and he led the Red Devils in the other categories.

He wasn’t the flashiest basketball player (quite different from football, where very few could match the excitement he brought), but he was one of the area’s most well-rounded talents.

If you missed him while in high school, keep Welch in mind the next few years when USF football is on the tube. You’ll learn then what Baker knew a few years back.

http://patton.blogs.gatorsports.com/10100/welch-has-been-one-to-watch/?tc=ar

Archived