• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Deonte Welch WR/Ath

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

But if Jason Sherman can't play again because of his Achilles, there's another one.

I guess I'm naive in this regard but if Sherman can't play agin because of a football injury, he loses his full ride?

I'm not sure about this, but wouldn't he still get the ride, but it wouldn't count against the scholarships?

That makes sense and I hope you're right...

I hope I'm right too. I just thought I read that somewhere, however, I could be completely wrong.  :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

If a player suffers an injury that ends his playing career, he can be placed on what's often called a "medical scholarship" -- he can stay on full scholarship, but no longer counts against the NCAA limit of 85 scholarships.

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

If a player suffers an injury that ends his playing career, he can be placed on what's often called a "medical scholarship" -- he can stay on full scholarship, but no longer counts against the NCAA limit of 85 scholarships.

Thanks Greg, appreciate the info.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Greg, I know a school can count up to two scholarships from the previous class , if they were not given out. That's why I asked can any of the four spring signees be counted retroactively.

Two other questions:

There was some scuttlebutt on message boards that Petrino may have pulled Welsh's scholarship offer for visiting USF. Is there any truth to that?

Did USF know in advance that Jose was visiting UCF? Why didn't we pull our scholarship offer to him, as we did with Carnes?

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Greg, I know a school can count up to two scholarships from the previous class , if they were not given out. That's why I asked can any of the four spring signees be counted retroactively.

Two other questions:

There was some scuttlebutt on message boards that Petrino may have pulled Welsh's scholarship offer for visiting USF. Is there any truth to that?

Did USF know in advance that Jose was visiting UCF? Why didn't we pull our scholarship offer to him, as we did with Carnes?

Counting 2 to a prior class is possible if you were less than 25 the prior year and are over 25 the current year.  However, you are never allowed to go over 85 total.  We are in no danger of having more than 25 cholarships this season as we will be up against the 85 cap.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Also, the kids being counted to the prior class have to enroll in the spring.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Two other questions:

Counting 2 to a prior class is possible if you were less than 25 the prior year and are over 25 the current year.  However, you are never allowed to go over 85 total.  We are in no danger of having more than 25 cholarships this season as we will be up against the 85 cap.

OK, I didn't realize that they could only be counted towards last year, if we had over 25 THIS year. I wasn't sure if we ended up giving out all 25 last year. I figured, that if we had some left over from last year we could count them towards that even if we had less than 25 this year.

• Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

why is welch only a one star on scout....but three on rivals.....pretty big disparity

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

why is welch only a one star on scout....but three on rivals.....pretty big disparity

One star just means he hasn't been evaluated yet. 

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Scout hasn't evaluated him. So they give him 1 Star. Why? Who knows?

Archived