• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

For the people worried about Carnes...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Our biggest need is at o-line. Not at QB, D-line, or WR. We have 2 years to get a QB to develop. As for the d-line, we don't know what type of scheme they'll run yet. If we run a gap scheme with the quick athletic guys we have. They will be fine. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  640
  • Days Won:  0

Our biggest need is at o-line. Not at QB, D-line, or WR. We have 2 years to get a QB to develop. As for the d-line, we don't know what type of scheme they'll run yet. If we run a gap scheme with the quick athletic guys we have. They will be fine.   

But if Daniels gets injured we lose Landi at WR. We need to recruit a backup QB.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Great teams recruit great players at every position every year.  Even the highest rated recruits fail, or end up at other positions.

• Content Count:  172

One of the Nebraska coaches is saying Carnes will not play at USF. But I am not sure about what he knows of he situation from talking to Carnes vs wishful thinking.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100122/BIGRED/701229821/0/FRONTPAGE

Carnes is headed north on Saturday. He'll catch a flight this afternoon, Manatee High School quarterbacks coach Chris Conboy said, after taking the SAT this morning.

The 6-foot, 180-pound Carnes started 51 games over four years at Manatee, the school that sent All-American Tommie Frazier to Lincoln in 1992. Carnes and Frazier, in fact, are cousins, and Tommie's brother, Rod, coaches the running backs at Manatee.

Nebraska showed some early recruiting interest in Carnes, rated as a four-star prospect by rivals and the No. 7 dual-threat quarterback. They lost contact when Carnes committed to South Florida and the Huskers accepted a pledge from Tyler Gabbert of Ballwin, Mo.

Gabbert later defected to Missouri, and Carnes backed away from South Florida when coach Jim Leavitt was fired this month. The QB visited USF last week, but it looks like he'll play elsewhere in college, Conboy said.

“It's not the same,†the coach said. “They've got a pretty big hill to climb to get back into it.â€

losing carnes, chandler, and sanders would be devasting.....i would be really disappointed in holtz if we lost all three

+1 on the part that it would be devastating!  You can't blame it on Holtz yet (but I would have loved to been a fly on the wall when he visited with Sanders and Carnes), because players aren't buying into a system because they can't see it right now (and don't know where they would fit).  If he can have a successful season with the talent we have now, he will be able to sell USF a lot better with people actually seeing and believing in the product.  But man, what a disappointing recruiting year it is turning into.  I was so excited when Brion committed early last year, and seeing what was building.  Now it seems like it is crumbling, which I guess is to be expected; hopefully, Holtz is the real deal and can turn water into wine next year (considering we have UM, and UF out of conference and everyone knows how we do in conference). 

We still have over a week left, lets see what hes got.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

Great teams recruit great players at every position every year.  Even the highest rated recruits fail, or end up at other positions.

Gonna be pretty tough to recruit guys for every position this year.  Let's see, there are 22 on offense and defense, long snapper, punter and kicker.  We have 17 schollies this year.  Won't happen this year.

And, as for Carnes, I woke up from my sleep last night seeing Carnes on TV announcing he was going to Nebraska and running around the field there with an "N" on his cap.  What a freakin' nightmare.  Couldn't fall back to sleep.

• Content Count:  509

I know we have only a limited amount of scholarships to give out this year, and that is why we need to make every single one of them count. We need a quarterback ( should BJ get hurt), and at least one quality receiver. If it is not Carnes and Sanders I hope there are others options out there. Am I missing something? Do we at this time have a quality back up quarterback should BJ get hurt?

• Content Count:  172

I know we have only a limited amount of scholarships to give out this year, and that is why we need to make every single one of them count. We need a quarterback ( should BJ get hurt), and at least one quality receiver. If it is not Carnes and Sanders I hope there are others options out there. Am I missing something? Do we at this time have a quality back up quarterback should BJ get hurt?

Only quality option is Landi, who is moving to WR; I guess we will see if that will happen now?

• Content Count:  178

Only quality option is Landi, who is moving to WR; I guess we will see if that will happen now?

If we want to have a decent QB ready should BJ get hurt than we need to bring in a JuCo kid.  Why would we want to waste a red shirt year on Carnes?  Even if Carnes stays he would be a last option at QB next season.  The only way he sees the field next season is if we have nobody else and are in a BE champ hunt....

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

What's really disappointing is that WVU has many more quality Florida HS recruits visiting this week than we do, and some of those are players we offered and could REALLY use.  :-[

http://westvirginia.scout.com/a.z?s=159&p=9&c=6&dv=20100119&yr=2010

At this point, I just hope that we can keep most of the verbals we already have.

The new ECU coach is not keeping two more Holtz assistants. So, I suspect there will be talk about them possibly coming here and that might scare off some verbals who don't know them, if they think their position coach is going to be let go after signing day.

It is what it is.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My concern on the recruiting front is that if we miss out on a quality class this year and we get a few injuries at key positions, if we end up with a crappy record on field, it could lead to another crappy recruiting class next year.  Then we are in  the same situation Basketball found itself in when McCullum came in and chased the best players.  He couldn't land recruits and we spiraled to the point where we are just digging out now.

If  BJ gets hurt or a receiver or two gets hurt (which they inevitably do) and we don't make a bowl game, we go into the following season with troubles again at key positions.

We are in a precarious situation  Not panic time, but there is reason for concern if we lose out on a good class.

Archived