• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Real live bull for mascot

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  341
  • Days Won:  1

well as much as i would like to see it, i feel that everybody will go WTF is that because our image has been watered down from a Brahman (aka the meanest SOB there is) to a generic Spaniard style bull just look at the statues in front of the MC.  and except for us florida crackers most people dont know what a Brahman is

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Just read another UGA bulldog mascot died last week at Univ of Georgia and it made me think about USF having a live bull mascot.  What was the last on USF having live bull?  Is it simply considered too dangerous and not likely ever to happen?  For safety, visiting teams could be advised not to wear red.  If someone watched him in corner of field on leash it ought to be manageble.   He could be a real crowd pleaser and could be sicced on streakers running on to field too for security.

no way

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

I guess it just wouldn't make good sense to use a real bull as a mascot.  Nothing against Brahma Bulls, but USF did drop Brahmans a few years ago and using a real Brahma bull would be confusing.  More importantly it would be impossible to control a real bull without drugging it, castrating him, caging him, etc.  If USF used a docile bull it would defeat the whole symbolism of USF BULLs.  I think the correct image for a USF Bull is a firing breathing, sand kicking, get out-of-my way full charging Bull.  That type of Bull couldn't be handled safely at a football game.  Unless someone can find a real nasty bull that fully cooperates and behaves on game day (and can maybe do cartwheels up a football field for 100 yards at the beginning of a game)...USF should forget about a real live bull mascot.

• Content Count:  1,829

I guess it just wouldn't make good sense to use a real bull as a mascot.  Nothing against Brahma Bulls, but USF did drop Brahmans a few years ago and using a real Brahma bull would be confusing.  More importantly it would be impossible to control a real bull without drugging it, castrating him, caging him, etc.  If USF used a docile bull it would defeat the whole symbolism of USF BULLs.  I think the correct image for a USF Bull is a firing breathing, sand kicking, get out-of-my way full charging Bull.  That type of Bull couldn't be handled safely at a football game.  Unless someone can find a real nasty bull that fully cooperates and behaves on game day (and can maybe do cartwheels up a football field for 100 yards at the beginning of a game)...USF should forget about a real live bull mascot.

I guess you have never seen a rodeo the meanest baddest Bulls at a rodeo are almost always Brahma Bulls that have actually killed people. Look up bodacious the bull! This bull had to retire early because he was too dangerous for anyone to ride! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodacious_the_Bull 

Rodeo legends cannot be discussed in the bull arena without mention of a legend that draws awe and - for those who drew him - fear. Bodacious, a Charolais-Brahma bull is the stuff of legends. His retirement was brought on by a willingness to injure riders on top of a powerful desire to

rid them from his back. This is the bull who shattered Tuff Hedeman's face. He sent several people to the emergency room despite their wearing masks and other protective headgear. With 1,800 pounds Bodacious is debatable in the title of most dangerous top bull of all time. Tuff Hedeman once said "even top-ranked guys who weren't afraid of anything were definitely afraid of Bodacious." A ride of the giant that didn't end with injury was a successful ride. Bodacious was such a powerhouse it wasn't uncommon to see his belly from the top of the back of the chute - and if you can imagine being tied to something nearly a ton dropping even five feet then changing directions - and you don't know what direction - you can imagine a very small

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,385
  • Days Won:  10

Last year in Costa Rica, I watched a seven or eight year old boy gently walking a huge Brahman bull along side of the rode.  This bull was much bigger than the ones in the video.  Generalizing each bull as one thing or another is probably like saying all pit bull dogs  are vicious and waiting to chew your face off.  It is probably all in how these animals are raised.

I think this is doable.  But the powers that be need to want to.

• Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

where did you go in CR?  We were in Guanacasta, amazing country!

• Content Count:  791

All I know is that if a 1700 lb. bull like Bodacious or like in the attached video got loose at Ray Jay and got up into the stands causing fans to spill their $8.00 beers--all heck would break loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGJws5B-luQ

• Content Count:  1,829

Last year in Costa Rica, I watched a seven or eight year old boy gently walking a huge Brahman bull along side of the rode.  This bull was much bigger than the ones in the video.  Generalizing each bull as one thing or another is probably like saying all pit bull dogs  are vicious and waiting to chew your face off.  It is probably all in how these animals are raised.

I think this is doable.  But the powers that be need to want to.

Good point. I agree but as you see not only can Brahma Bulls be gentle and tame they can still kick some major axx! So the argument about a Brahma Bull being "soft" is null and void. Brahmas can be both which is why they make a good mascot and the fact that there used to be a butt load of them actually living in the fields around USF.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,773

Aside from the fact that most people (commuters) can't tell the difference between one breed and another is neither here nor there. I remember last year - pre game - they were setting up the fireworks and one went off in the guys face. Then there was the SEAL who was killed parachuting practice into RAyJ (2001), so this whole 'live bull' thing has 'skip it' written all over it. Too much risk, not enough reward.

Archived