• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spurrier news

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Five problems with hiring Spurrier.

First, he wouldn't be here for a significant amount of time.  Loyalty would last less than five years.

Second, as Gary pointed out, even the greatest college or pro coaches rarely make it a major success at non-BCS programs, or second tier programs (and yes we're second tier).

Third,  Spurrier looked good at FL because he had to best.  Its not nearly as easy executing a Spurrier offense with below average QB's, a decent OL, and some pretty good WR's.  That might get you 7-4, in a good year.  Furthermore, I would fear that Spurrier would act just like GOL, and ignoring conventional wisdom when things aren't going his way and stick with the offense he has- saying something like it's worked before in college it will work again.

Fourth, give it up that kids will come far and wide to play for Spurrier.  That's purely ignorant.  We'll get a few choice players but by and large the bigger BCS programs are big for a reason.  It takes a rare kid to choose USF over Auburn (30k in attendance versus 87k).  It also takes an equally unique recruiter.  Steve was never much on recruiting.

Fifth, Spurrier's in the twilight of his career, and seems content with finding a job that allows him some leisure time.  I would have rather been Spurriers first stop, not his last stop.  I am don't want my program living off Spurrier's glory, I want my program creating its OWN glory.

The only benefit Spurrier would bring is if USF grabbed him the ticket sales would probably immediately jump by about 5k just because of his area popularity alone.  However, much like the luster of GOL in Orlando, it would rub off quickly as soon as some of those individuals would realize that it's Spurrier on the sidelines but those athletes are still USF athletes not UF athletes.  Truth hurts at times.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Your going with the "instant fans" perspective? Please, remember for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every "Spurrier" fan that is added, there is another fan that would drop us becuase they hate the guy. There is no middle ground.

We will agree to disagree. I doubt many would stop supporting the Bulls because he became coach. It's not like he has a shady past or anything. There's no way it would be a one-for-one swap on fans in that regard.

I hated Spurrier but didn't stop me from being a Bandits fan and the school ties would surely be stronger than that.

For the record, I am still not advocating bring him here but it wouldn't be disastrous if it happened, IMO.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

S. Bein wrote:

"The only benefit Spurrier would bring is if USF grabbed him the ticket sales would probably immediately jump by about 5k just because of his area popularity alone.  However, much like the luster of GOL in Orlando, it would rub off quickly as soon as some of those individuals would realize that it's Spurrier on the sidelines but those athletes are still USF athletes not UF athletes.  Truth hurts at times"

Dear S. Bein,

Please don't compare SS with GOL. I am not a Gayturd fan. But facts are facts. Fla had never won the SEC championship before SS, with SS they won six. They also won the NC! SS is really respected in Florida.

GOL was the National Coach on the year, once. Lied on his resume was hired & fired from ND.

SS would have an instant impact on attendance. Did GOL?

Talent would flow to USF. I think that we already get better talent than ftu with CJL and Carl Franks doing the recruiting for USF. Did talent flow to ftu after GOLs hiring? (Still to early to tell to be fair to ftu).

Please do not compare SS & GOL. There is no comparison!

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

I can't believe anyone is serious about this.  CJL has built a program from nothing to a national success story and there is no indication that he isn't able to continue this path.

Spurrier may give us a brief flash of national spotlight, but he is not going to give us the committment that CJL will.  After his son is gone, then it'll be back to the golf course.

If Scotty comes here, then offer SOS a chance to come and be a QB coach or OC, so he can still play golf and be with his son.  If he won't accept that, the let him go elsewhere or watch his son play from the stands with the other parents.

We've got a coach who has given us winning seasons in all but the first year, with the competition greater each and every year.  We are just now getting upper classmen who were recruited when we started 1-A ball.  Every year, the athletes coming in are better than the ones before.

CJL out for Spurrier?  Ridiculous.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Put it this way, in 4 to 5 yrs after Steve left (2009 or 2010), the recruit coffers would be absolutely dry.  Secondly, what big time recruit would come to a second tier football university who knows that the HC/OC's son will get pref. treatment in practice and on the field.  This is not a wise proposition.  Spurrier wanters, get a firm grip on reality and accept the continual success of Coach Jim Leavitt.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

you guys

are being silly

spurrier is considered one of the best college coaches ever

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

Maybe so, but would be a short-term solution to a problem that does not exist and thus a bad investment and a bad-faith move by our administration.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

I agree, however, if SS was hired, how long would he stay with USF? 3, 4, 5 years?  I think CJL is a long term guy like Bowden.  In my view, that's our best choice.