• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

POLLS: USAT: USF #27, 117 points | AP #29, 145 pts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

No way is Houston the #15 team in the nation.

Houston is having a great season so far. The Cougars are just as much the No 15 team in the nation as USF was the No 2 team for a week in 2007. The Cougars have beaten two Big XII teams in their three games, including going on the road to beat a team ranked No 5 at the time.

I think they should be ranked higher at this point.

No way is Houston the #15 team in the nation.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

So, I guess Leavitt putting USF #18 in the first poll, doesn't look so silly to Brett right now. CJL took a lot of heat for his ballot at the time.

• Content Count:  1,624
  • Days Won:  0

So let me get this straight....FSU goes on the road and destroys BYU. We go on the road and destroy FSU. And Byu is ranked 8 spots ahead of us why? Because they were ranked higher at the beginning of the season? These polls are dumb. Preseason rankings basically make the polls a shaft for 10 weeks or so.

Ole Miss was #4 in the country(who the hell knows why) and they looked like they didn't even belong in the top 25.

Cal was #6 in the nation(see Ole Miss) and they got destroyed by an Oregon team that was disastrous in week 1.

Penn State was killed by Iowa.

Does anyone notice that we see the same things happen every year with a lot of these teams? Usc losing to Washington, who then loses to Stanford but because of the preseason polls it barely affects USC. Same thing with Ole Miss, Cal, Penn, Ohio State.

Not that I can really speak for USF since they always manage to disappoint but still.

Associated Press:

RK TEAM RECORD PTS

1 Florida (55) 4-0 1490

2 Texas (1) 4-0 1420

3 Alabama (4) 4-0 1400

4 LSU 4-0 1225

5 Boise State 4-0 1203

6 Virginia Tech 3-1 1190

7 USC 3-1 998

8 Oklahoma 2-1 979

9 Ohio State 3-1 957

10 Cincinnati 4-0 946

11 TCU 3-0 896

12 Houston 3-0 844

13 Iowa 4-0 788

14 Oklahoma State 3-1 591

15 Penn State 3-1 470

16 Oregon 3-1 462

17 Miami (FL) 2-1 452

18 Kansas 4-0 418

18 Georgia 3-1 418

20 Brigham Young 3-1 349

21 Mississippi 2-1 340

22 Michigan 4-0 271

23 Nebraska 3-1 256

24 California 3-1 206

25 Georgia Tech 3-1 185

Others receiving votes: Missouri 175, Auburn 171, South Carolina 154, South Florida 145, UCLA 41, Utah 25, Wisconsin 20, Notre Dame 7, Arizona State 4, Stanford 2, North Carolina 2,

• Content Count:  214

Having polls this early is still a joke...and the voters prove that week in and week out with the lack of logic for their rankings. For instance, USC has been very unimpressive in 3 of 4 games, losing 1 to a team that went winless a year ago and yet they only dropped to #12 a week ago and are already back up to #7. Meanwhile, Oregon who lost their opener, on the road to a team that was ranked, a team that has the best home record in college football this decade and is now currently ranked #5, dropped all the way out the next week, and has since been impressive in wins over Purdue (decent mid-pack team), Utah (ranked #18 at the time and riding the nation's then longest winning streak at 16), and destroyed the then #6 Cal Bears (who despite losing by 46 only dropped to #19). Also, to go along with the USC voting, Ole Miss who was #4 loses on the road in a close game and drops all the way to #18 (how does USC lose and drop 8 spots with not many other top ranked losses and Ole Miss loses with the same rank and drops 14 spots despite 3 other top 10 losers in the same week, plus #17 FSU)...I don't necessarily disagree with that, just pointing out the lack of logic in how these people adjust their rankings. Then there is LSU...1 yd away from a bad loss to Miss St yesterday, must be time to move them up to #4. Then there is Iowa....3 mediocre wins, including their back-to-back blocked fgs to keep from losing to No. Iowa (a real powerhouse..haha), then a win a against Penn St. moves them from unranked to #17?

Ugh...they shouldn't bother with asking anyone anything until October...then maybe the pre-conceived biases would be a bit less. And for the record, if I had to put USF somewhere based on the first month, it would be around 20.

• Content Count:  1,633
  • Days Won:  3

The rankings are fair.

If we beat Syracuse next week (even though it's Syracuse) it will be hard to not have us ranked at 5-0.

• Content Count:  869

I would prefer to be in the polls later in the season.  Want the team to be focused as much as possible.  We win on October 15th, then I will be happy with a poll ranking.   

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

I'd rather have the team fighting to be respected because they're outside the top 15 at 6-0 then have them getting cocky and arrogant because we all of a sudden find ourselves at #2 at 6-0 and then end up falling on our faces again

• Content Count:  1,013

I think the pollsters (both coaches and writers) may be waiting for us to prove ourselves this year.  The last 2 years we faded quickly after great starts and top 10 rankings. 

• Content Count:  1,037

I'd rather have the team fighting to be respected because they're outside the top 15 at 6-0 then have them getting cocky and arrogant because we all of a sudden find ourselves at #2 at 6-0 and then end up falling on our faces again

Exactly. We don't deserve to be ranked (yet). After the last 2 years of midseason collapses we shouldn't be taken seriously (yet). The polls at the end of the season are what really counts anyway. I just want to be ranked at the end of the year.

Archived