• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In BJ we trust

DC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

I love Grothe as much as anyone else on here but I don't think we will be taking a step back if BJ is the starter for a while.  I know Grothe has had tons of great games, but you can't help but think of the BAD ones he has had. Purely from a passing standpoint his TD/INT ratio is 50/44. Just look at the WVU, Cincy, Louisville, and Rutgers games from last year; they were Grothe's worst games. They are all past Big East champions.  If we want to win this conference we must be able to beat those teams. We all know Grothe can run, but BJ can too, and from what we've seen BJ is better at it.  If BJ can protect the ball I believe he will be very successful this season.

That being said, I would still love to see Grothe come back in a month or two and take back his starting job. He has earned it and he deserves to go out on top. 

Purely from a football standpoint I feel we are in good hands with BJ Daniels.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with this post, but everybody keeps looking at these stats as if it's because of his ability or lack thereof.  He was a competitor who took a great deal of risks to WIN games.  He was not a passive three step drop passer who does whatever the scheme dictates him to do.  He was permitted to win games with his athletic ability and while that happens, turnovers especially interceptions are going to occur.

Grothe, hands down is the best QB to wear a Bulls uniform...so far.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  403
  • Days Won:  0

I don't like comparing the MG of this year to the MG of years past when we realistically haven't really seen him play against any real competition this year.

He only played in warm up games.

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Here are some spring game highlights from BullsVision.  One thing we have to keep in mind is that BJ is a freshman.  He is going to throw a brilliant TD pass and then follow it up with a pick six.  It is all part of the learning process. 

I still feel BJ has the potential to be even better than Matt Grothe and that is saying a bunch. 

http://www.gousfbulls.com/newMediaPlayer/consolewmp.htm?id=398291&type=vod&oemid=7700&KEY=

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Here are some spring game highlights from BullsVision.  One thing we have to keep in mind is that BJ is a freshman.  He is going to throw a brilliant TD pass and then follow it up with a pick six.  It is all part of the learning process. 

I still feel BJ has the potential to be even better than Matt Grothe and that is saying a bunch. 

http://www.gousfbulls.com/newMediaPlayer/consolewmp.htm?id=398291&type=vod&oemid=7700&KEY=

Gotta say, watching that didn't make me feel that much better. I am going to convince myself that he has improved a lot since the spring, will have more time to throw, and has been working on decision making.

• Content Count:  2,495

Gotta say, watching that didn't make me feel that much better. I am going to convince myself that he has improved a lot since the spring, will have more time to throw, and has been working on decision making.

I could be wrong, but I think Grothe threw a pick six to Mike Jenkins in his first ever spring game.

• Content Count:  3,096

As much as it'll pain me to think of the "what if's" in reference to Grothe, I am confident that Daniels will be a great asset to our team.  Timing might be tough, being that he gets his first start against a traditional powerhouse, but sometimes getting thrown to the fire to start off is better than easing into it.  BJ will have his lumps, but those will hopefully be learning experiences that he takes with him down the course over the next 4 years.

Archived