• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tackling... is it in our play book?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

I just wonder if the page on how to tackle was missed when they copied our play books?  I thought, well hoped, this year would be different, but it is more of the same.

From Midget football on you are tought to tackle by wrapping up the legs.  The lowest man wins the battle and drive through the ball carrier.  What do we get? Nothing but flying shoulder with the arms back going for that ESPN highlight hit.  Or, any equally ineffective 190 lb safety trying to tackle up on the shoulders. 

I mean, we gave up a TD because of poor rudimentary skills.  This will be our Achilles heal.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

no its not, right now we aren't playing disciplined football

• Content Count:  172

Who doesn't love bumper cars? 

• Content Count:  693

disciplined football is doing what you are taught. Are you taught to tackle with your shoulder or lead with your helmet? No, you're taught to wrap up with your arms aka not disciplined football.

• Content Count:  2,052

I thought with Tresey at the D helm, we would see changes in the tackling scheme. Those boys in Cinci hit, and they let you know it every down. Maybe it's a Florida thing. Shoulder bump one two, sidestep one two, almost like dance moves. Anyone se Mike Jenkins on Sunday? Made a ton of mistakes on tackles. Things better change and change fast, or else we are in for a long D season.

• Content Count:  1,985

Yes, these are good points, and I agree this is a discipline issue.

And, Jenkins has to step it up, he was beat like a red headed step child yesterday.

Lastly, I hope Selvie can learn to get through the double teams, we need to hear that number called....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

We've allowed 2 td's in 8 quarters of play .... I guess I've got to assume ball carriers tripped over their own feet on the way to the endzone for most of those 8 quarters since we don't know how to tackle anybody.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

We've allowed 2 td's in 8 quarters of play .... I guess I've got to assume ball carriers tripped over their own feet on the way to the endzone for most of those 8 quarters since we don't know how to tackle anybody.

We've also played 2 teams that most Florida high schools could give a run for their money.

• Content Count:  742

The tackling has been a huge issue in the past and it raises its head again this year. IMO this comes from lack of focus/discipline by the players.

Archived