• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is this true?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

I'd rather play in a stadium that hosts Super Bowls.

gay. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,251

Ive some people talk about this before and i really still find it hard to believe.....any chance that offer gets put back on the table ;D

I find it believable... Busch Gardens Tampa Bay opened in the 50s and it would have been huge to have a stadium named after the company or the park in the area...

The cost was probably considerably lower (relative to the time) to build a nice stadium at the time.

i mean i find it hard to believe that our pres turned the offer down....

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I wouldn't... Do you realize what an OCS does for a school?

The alleged stadium that AB wanted to build for USF would not have been on campus. The proposed site was where the riverfront park is on Fletcher Ave.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I heard this a few years ago and I have always wanted to know for sure....

Rumor or truth?

Annheuser Busch offered to build USF a football stadium but the offer was turned down because the current University President wanted the school to be more focused on academics?

False

AB offered to build a stadium back in the 1960s when the school was just starting, not while Judy was president.

• Content Count:  1,797

OK, let's get a grip here.  John Brown was President at the time and he inherited a USF that was hostile to athletics.  He claimed later he would have supported the venture IF the USF community would support football.  It didn't at that time.  I know, I was there then.

The stadium would not have been on campus and it would not have been at Riverfront.  It would have been built on the old airfield south and west of MOSI nearer to the brewery and Busch Gardens.  The USF community was simply not ready for football back then.  Too bad really.

I was a member of the BFO, a student led organization named the Brahman Football Organization.  BFO tried to raise $5,000 to show support on campus for football, but couldn't do it.  That was all President Brown needed to dismiss the idea of football and a stadium.  Shortly after, I was on Student Senate and talks continued, but believe me, there was some serious and heated debate in the Senate as MANY students did not want sports on campus and especially did not want football.  Oh, and if you think there are a lot of Gator shirts on campus now, there were a lot more of them then, even though the Lizards sucked.  Of course there were even more Bucs shirts and the next couple of years Bandits shirts on campus than Gators ones.

Normal

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

OK, let's get a grip here.  John Brown was President at the time and he inherited a USF that was hostile to athletics.  He claimed later he would have supported the venture IF the USF community would support football.  It didn't at that time.  I know, I was there then.

The stadium would not have been on campus and it would not have been at Riverfront.  It would have been built on the old airfield south and west of MOSI nearer to the brewery and Busch Gardens.  The USF community was simply not ready for football back then.  Too bad really.

I was a member of the BFO, a student led organization named the Brahman Football Organization.  BFO tried to raise $5,000 to show support on campus for football, but couldn't do it.  That was all President Brown needed to dismiss the idea of football and a stadium.  Shortly after, I was on Student Senate and talks continued, but believe me, there was some serious and heated debate in the Senate as MANY students did not want sports on campus and especially did not want football.  Oh, and if you think there are a lot of Gator shirts on campus now, there were a lot more of them then, even though the Lizards sucked.  Of course there were even more Bucs shirts and the next couple of years Bandits shirts on campus than Gators ones.

Normal

thanks for the history lesson.

always cool to read perspectives from people who were there.

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

I would not want an on campus stadium for a long time.  It will not be as good as Ray Jay.  Why are people obsessed about OCS, I know they think it creates a impression and builds spirit but I am sure that cost would hamper the growth of a program that needs money to recruit. 

Focus on getting Tampa Sports Authority to recognize that its just not about the Bucs and to make the stadium show USF.  Hard to do with all of the seats being red and a big ship in the endzone.  But it can be done.

• Content Count:  684

so..... is there anyway we could ask AmBev for a favor now?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Focus on getting Tampa Sports Authority to recognize that its just not about the Bucs and to make the stadium show USF.  Hard to do with all of the seats being red and a big ship in the endzone.  But it can be done.

Good luck with that. The Bucs pull in a hell of a lot more money than we do, and probably ever will.

Not to get too much into an OCS convo, but if this situation came along today, hell ya I'd take and I don't doubt the coaching staff would turn it down either.

But remember what Busch probably offered in 1960 was something more like Armwood's stadium than the Shoe or the Swamp.

• Content Count:  7,890

I heard this a few years ago and I have always wanted to know for sure....

Rumor or truth?

Annheuser Busch offered to build USF a football stadium but the offer was turned down because the current University President wanted the school to be more focused on academics?

False

AB offered to build a stadium back in the 1960s when the school was just starting, not while Judy was president.

Sorry I forgot to say it was not the current president

Archived