• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is this true?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

First, Am Bev is out of of the US (Denmark I think??).  Second, they generally have stated they wish to sell the entertainment arm of AB (ie Busch Gardens, etc).    Third, AB no longer has a brewery here - only their local third party distributors.  Fourth, we are in a huge recession.  It is doubtful that there would be even a penny allocated for a stadium from AB or In Bev.

Now on the OCS debate (which rears its ugly head at least a few times a year).  Raymond James would cost $500 - 600M to build at today's prices.  UCF spent close to $250 for their stadium which is considerably smaller than RJS and no where near the comfort and amenities.  Leavitt and players state it is a huge recruiting advantage for kids to play in an NFL/SUperbowl stadium.  Plus the location is central to all of the Tampa Bay area (ie pinellas, sarasota, etc).   Bottom line, no one in their right mind would talk of an OCS during the current economic conditions, and there is no way USF could come up with anything close to the capabilities of RJS for at least a decade.

Now can we lock this topic please?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

For the people that dont want an OCS...you must have never been to UF, FSU, or any other big time school that has an OCS. It truly makes campus have a much more lively atmosphere, and gives a good reason for alumni to come back to campus. If you have been to UF on a gameday, picture that for USF. That is what it could be like. And to the argument that it wouldnt be as nice as Ray Jay...well college stadiums are not supposed to as nice as NFL stadiums. I would take the hit of less luxury for a better gameday atmosphere. Just my 2 cents.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I worded my post incorrectly. I meant the pres at the time.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

IncrediBULL

UCF spen $70 Million...

I would not want an on campus stadium for a long time. It will not be as good as Ray Jay. Why are people obsessed about OCS, I know they think it creates a impression and builds spirit but I am sure that cost would hamper the growth of a program that needs money to recruit.

Focus on getting Tampa Sports Authority to recognize that its just not about the Bucs and to make the stadium show USF. Hard to do with all of the seats being red and a big ship in the endzone. But it can be done.

Actually, it can't really be done.

First, it has nothing to do with the TSA now. When the Bucs signed a THIRTY YEAR lease in 1997, they demanded the various terms: parking & concession revenue, advertising revenue, control of permanent signage, etc.

There is almost nothing the TSA could do without asking the Buccaneers to amend their lease. And we know the Bucs will not amend their lease without TSA (make that USF) paying them $$$ to do so.

It would actually be easier to build an OCS.

For the people that dont want an OCS...you must have never been to UF, FSU, or any other big time school that has an OCS. It truly makes campus have a much more lively atmosphere, and gives a good reason for alumni to come back to campus. If you have been to UF on a gameday, picture that for USF. That is what it could be like. And to the argument that it wouldnt be as nice as Ray Jay...well college stadiums are not supposed to as nice as NFL stadiums. I would take the hit of less luxury for a better gameday atmosphere. Just my 2 cents.

Yuo have made an incorrect assumption.  My friends went to FSU and UF.  I used to go up for game weekends and I have been to more gator growl and UF games than many UF students and alumni.  

Yes their stadium is cool. Also the nearby businesses like burrito brothers, joes (now something else) etc.  Had many many fun times there.

But, I would not sacrifice a quality of stadium experience (ie UCF) just to have an OCS.  It is stupid to build a marginal facility just to have one.  I do not want to go back to bench seats, pissing troughs, no beer, etc.  Also, USF is 30 minutes further for most of the bay area (unless you live in new tampa or wesley chapel or temple terrace).  Alumni are the ones with the money, and who buy up the seats.  They will speak with their $$.  We are too young of a program to move to a marginal OCS.  We will lose more supporters than gain them.  Mostly, the only people who want an OCS are people who work for USF and a few others.

One major diff between the schools you mentioned and USF is mostly that we have a commuter campus.  Read today's st pete times for details on that, but at UF nearly 100% of students live on campus or within 5 miles.  Not so with USF.  

IncrediBULL

UCF spen $70 Million...

Sorry, I stand corrected.  I remember the cost went up during the project, but don't recall the details.  And it only seats 45k (though it can be added on to).

I don't want metal bench seats just to have an OCS.  I'd rather we do a little saving and begin a capital campaign for 10 years, and wait until we can build something nice rather than a piece of garbage that just happens to hold xx number of people.  Then what happens is they try to bolt on more and more over time.  And they will come up short and jack our tix and donation prices up to stay there.  There will be a bunch of issues if they pursue this in the wrong manner and try to slam it.

We'd be better off negotiating a better contract with RJS and sitting still for at least a decade.

Costa - There is not a single, solitary person on here who doesn't "WANT" a stadium on campus.  I sure as hell do.  But this isn't about WANTING.

USF has other priorities, like the $24 million they want to spend on the other facilities.

As for the amenities.  You're fine with metal benches and port-a-potties... but you also don't give $25,000 or more for the right to buy tickets.  Like it or not, college football is a business... and if you're asking people to pay the Mercedes money for a Yugo, don't be surprised when they say no.

Seatbacks are a must. Lots of bathrooms and concession areas are a must. Club levels are a must. Suites are a must.  Heck, even UCF and FIU knew this with their erector sets.

• Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

I don't want bench seats or no beer.........but bring back the troughs!  Most efficient way to get people in and out of the bathroom by far!

• Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  0

I know its been mentioned in the past.... but i'm pretty sure that when we do build an OCS, this will be our model

/http://stadium.gophersports.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCF_Bank_Stadium

Archived