• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is this true?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Days Won:  1

I know its been mentioned in the past.... but i'm pretty sure that when we do build an OCS, this will be our model

/http://stadium.gophersports.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCF_Bank_Stadium

I would have to say that if at some point down the line USF considers an OCS, that Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium should be looked at for its aesthetics.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I along with many season tix holders I know, do not want an OCS.  Too expensive when we have a great community stadium, further away, less amenities, and no beer.  Sorry, but I am not in favor of it nor will I be.

So... I am right.  You would want an OCS if you had similar amenities (which I think is a must) and beer (which is currently offered on campus, so why are you thinking and OCS would not?)

Last, I totally agree with you on fnances.  USF has too many other ailing athletic facilities to jump into an OCS. They need to sort those out first.  Also, how the heck do you think they could support parking for 50 - 60 k attendees.  Parking garages cost $5-6k per parking space to build, and they don't have enough parking even for half that many students today.   We cannot get enough money to build a dining hall, to redo the pool, and to build a covered practice facility or basketball (or football for that matter).  No way we could raise the money in the near term for an OCS so it would all be debt loaded - which is a bad idea.

This is why any discussion of an OCS is moot until we have a USF version of T Boone Pickens.  PowerBall is $161 million on Saturday, people.  Lump sum would be $50-55 million after taxes.

A stadium for USF will cost $300 million to build.  Anything less would be too small and/or lack the amenities needed to draw donors (who pay coaches salaries) and casual fans.

Some people would rather OWN a double-wide trailer than RENT one of the nicest homes.  For me, until we can afford a nice home of our own, I'd rather rent one.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

TCF is great...at $300 mil.

They got state funding. We won't.

Plus it has metal bleachers in most areas!!!

And troughs!!!

And they banned alcohol!!!

That awesome venue is gonna suck based on those three reasons.

• Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

TCF is great...at $300 mil.

They got state funding. We won't.

Plus it has metal bleachers in most areas!!!

And troughs!!!

And they banned alcohol!!!

That awesome venue is gonna suck based on those three reasons.

w/ standards as high as some fans have it, u guys would have to fork over 500 mil for one...even the Swamp doesn't have any seat backs...there's a reason college football stadiums don't host super bowls, full comfort is not the priority, the atmosphere to cram as many people into your facility as possible for a big game is why most have bleachers(plus banging on them makes it louder, lowers cost, etc)...college football is not for a wine and cheese crowd and that crowd can just buy a luxury box that would probably have a small section w/ seat backs on the donor side if/when you guys get a new place

Anheuser Bush would be a great sponsor if they gave USF another offer similar to the one in the 60s...considering state money is not an option like Minnesota and other states w/ not as many football programs

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

IncrediBULL the distance is a dumb argument. UF and FSU has thousands if fans tha drive from Tampa every weekend to their venues for day trips. I think our fans can bear the extra 15 on a Saturday...

we are not UF or FSU.  We have no nc's or conf c's in our history.  We have never been to a bcs bowl game.  We have never finished in the top 10, or top 25 for that matter.

So I believe distance is an issue based on the maturity of this program.  Maybe not down the road a ways, but for now we are not at the same level.

Try making seat donations $13k like UF Bull Gators do, and see how well that goes for USF fans - then you will know what I mean.

Guest hm101

One major diff between the schools you mentioned and USF is mostly that we have a commuter campus.  Read today's st pete times for details on that, but at UF nearly 100% of students live on campus or within 5 miles.  Not so with USF.  

when were you at USF? you must have graduated a while ago before the brand new enormous dorms were built in magnolia or demand for apartments around campus is so great that theyre packing the area with brand new complexes (sterling, the province, etc)

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

IncrediBULL,

Let's be serious is 15 minutes is not going to deter THAT many people. That was my point when comparing to UF and FSU

• Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

Second, UCF had to build a stadium. The Citrus bowl was in serious need of repair and was scheduled for demolition.  They would have been homeless - not to mention it was 30 minutes away from their campus (not 7 miles).

According to Google maps it takes about 22 minutes to get to RayJ from the USF campus and 21 minutes to get to the Citrus Bowl from the UCF campus.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

For the people that dont want an OCS...you must have never been to UF, FSU, or any other big time school that has an OCS. It truly makes campus have a much more lively atmosphere, and gives a good reason for alumni to come back to campus. If you have been to UF on a gameday, picture that for USF. That is what it could be like. And to the argument that it wouldnt be as nice as Ray Jay...well college stadiums are not supposed to as nice as NFL stadiums. I would take the hit of less luxury for a better gameday atmosphere. Just my 2 cents.

Costa - There is not a single, solitary person on here who doesn't "WANT" a stadium on campus.  I sure as hell do.  But this isn't about WANTING.

USF has other priorities, like the $24 million they want to spend on the other facilities.

Seatbacks are a must. Lots of bathrooms and concession areas are a must. Club levels are a must. Suites are a must.  Heck, even UCF and FIU knew this with their erector sets.

First, I along with many season tix holders I know, do not want an OCS.  Too expensive when we have a great community stadium, further away, less amenities, and no beer.  Sorry, but I am not in favor of it nor will I be.

Second, UCF had to build a stadium. The Citrus bowl was in serious need of repair and was scheduled for demolition.  They would have been homeless - not to mention it was 30 minutes away from their campus (not 7 miles).

Last, I totally agree with you on fnances.  USF has too many other ailing athletic facilities to jump into an OCS. They need to sort those out first.  Also, how the heck do you think they could support parking for 50 - 60 k attendees.  Parking garages cost $5-6k per parking space to build, and they don't have enough parking even for half that many students today.   We cannot get enough money to build a dining hall, to redo the pool, and to build a covered practice facility or basketball (or football for that matter).  No way we could raise the money in the near term for an OCS so it would all be debt loaded - which is a bad idea.

parking is also a stretch... who cares where people park... Park at Mosi... all over campus... we just built a MASSIVE garage on magnolia.

I know there are plans to make the lot in front of the rec center into a garage.

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  0

was this the same president who made the old outdoor basketball courts, a few feet short, so organized games couldn't be played on them? (that's what my dad told me)

Archived