• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is a NIT crown better then a NCAA invitation?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I would say that winning the WNIT is about the same as the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA. Sweet 16 of the NCAA would probably trump it.

If you're talking men's hoops, I might agree but nobody gives a **** about the women's Sweet 16 ... just like nobody, outside of the winner, gives a **** about the WNIT champ ... but you get a trophy ..... trophy > no trophy.  8)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

I go with winning the WNIT over the invite.  Lots of unworthy teams get invited to the NCAA in both mens and womens tournament.  You aren't going to beat UConn so the best you can sell a recruit is that you lost in the tournament.  You are one of 63 losers.

Winning the WNIT you make a real good case that you beat some good teams and got snubbed because of the depth of the Big East and they didn't want 8 or 9 BE teams, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Having a Championship trophy on display is a good thing.  Not many teams in basketball end their season with a win.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Winning the NIT is better than going 1 and done in the NCAA...especially for womens ball.

for those girls,,tonight you cant tell them they just didnt win the national title. 

plus..if you took all the automatic bids out of the NCAA then USF womens would of made the tourney.  and how many teams in college basketball can say they ended their season with a win and a trophy.

i would much rather our team win every single WNIT then go 1 and done in the NCAA.  or even make to the 32 and lose.

the womens tourney isnt close to the mens.

for the women the more games they play the better and the more titles the better.

congrats ladies.

• Content Count:  2,363

It's tough, but I think I'd say the WNIT championship. While we missed the NCAAs, the argument could be made the we belonged. We were on the bubble, and it was a selection committee decision, not solely our own shortcomings, that kept us from the Dance that matters. With the WNIT crown, we can make the argument that we should have been in the real thing and speculate how far we could have gotten (kinda like the BCS non-playoff). What's more, I think the championship will hold more weight for future committees (who allegedly don't look at the past, but human nature you can't help but do that) who may be more likely to say "last time we left them out, but they won a championship" and select us than a potential early exit which would hurt our stock.

• Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  1

In foresight coaches and players would always say the NCAA invite versus a NIT championship.

In retrospect how do you think that question would be answered flying home on the plane yesterday?

Winning your last game, having fun and carrying hardware doesn't sound to bad.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I would say yes, I would rather have a NIT championship trophy over simply being invited to the NCAA tourny.  This also really shows the selection committee what a mistake they made not choosing USF. 

This is huge for USF basketball.  I only wish we could get half as many fans to watch our mens team nevermind our womens team as to what KU brought today, 17000+, wow. 

no

tear up coach's contract and give  him raise and extension

• Content Count:  937

I think the real question at stake is..

did our women bball team do better then ucf's?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I would say yes, I would rather have a NIT championship trophy over simply being invited to the NCAA tourny.  This also really shows the selection committee what a mistake they made not choosing USF. 

This is huge for USF basketball.  I only wish we could get half as many fans to watch our mens team nevermind our womens team as to what KU brought today, 17000+, wow. 

no

tear up coach's contract and give  him raise and extension

an unfunded mandate?

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Well, our football team hasn't won anything yet.  What did they tell recruits?  They must've done something right, since they finished with a Top 25 class.

I say winning the NIT. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I'm saying you go and sell to a recruit that the program has a great chance of winning the NIT every year over an NCAA berth every year and you won't be successful in recruiting.   

Again, it's absolutely wonderful they won it all.  It's a nice secondary prize.  You do know there are teams who in the past have turned down NIT invites?  Not everyone views it as a Championship, or even an invite a strong program should desire. 

Archived