• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is a NIT crown better then a NCAA invitation?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I'm saying you go and sell to a recruit that the program has a great chance of winning the NIT every year over an NCAA berth every year and you won't be successful in recruiting.

I think different people are answering this based on different criteria ... Some based on this year ... some based on selling to a recruit on an every year basis. The answer would change based on the different criteria, for me anyway.

Again, it's absolutely wonderful they won it all.  It's a nice secondary prize.  You do know there are teams who in the past have turned down NIT invites?  Not everyone views it as a Championship, or even an invite a strong program should desire.

Have teams who have never won either of the basketball tourneys ever turned the NIT down? Strong programs rarely get NIT invitations .... We're not a strong program.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  122
  • Days Won:  0

Nope, NCAA invite or bust!

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Is a NIT crown better then a NCAA invitation?

depends on how far we would ultimately go in the big dance...

but considering what our chances would have looked like in the NCAA tourney--- most likely a 14-16 seed that probably would have made an early exit--- i think WINNING an NIT championship is far better.

not to say nobody remembers the losers, but being one of 64 other teams that get eliminated is nowhere near as powerful a statement as actually WINNING something.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I hate to be such a downer because I really do think this is a great ending for the Lady Bulls, but who remembers who won the NIT last year?  No peeking.  :)

• Content Count:  2,511

I would say that winning the WNIT is about the same as the 1st or 2nd round of the NCAA. Sweet 16 of the NCAA would probably trump it.

If you're talking men's hoops, I might agree but nobody gives a **** about the women's Sweet 16 ... just like nobody, outside of the winner, gives a **** about the WNIT champ ... but you get a trophy ..... trophy > no trophy.   8)

Actually, the average person does not care about the women's NCAA tournament or the WNIT.  It is not fair the the female athletes, but that is just how things are.  Does the average sports fan care about the WNBA?

What most people are overlooking in this topic is that USF earned the WNIT crown.  They were on the road for most of their games.  Can anyone honestly name any USF team in the past that were "road warriors"?  Dang those crickets are really loud right now.

USF has been notoriously terrible on the road in all their sports - men's and women's sports.  This team had a never say die attitude after they got over the hump of the FGCU game.  They destroyed every team the played until Kansas, and they did have the potential to blow out Kansas at their place.  This is why the WNIT crown is so impressive.

Until the football team mans up and learns to consistently win on the road, and that includes bowl games against BCS teams (cough, cough, the big choke job at the Sun Bowl), they will have to take a backseat to this women' basketball team.  They deserve seat at the head of the table in the new athletic dining lounge that Leavitt lobbied for all these years.

• Content Count:  2,511

I hate to be such a downer because I really do think this is a great ending for the Lady Bulls, but who remembers who won the NIT last year?  No peeking.  :)

I do not remember that one, but I remember the year USF's men's team made it to the Elite Eight of the NIT.  That was the year Virgina Tech won the NIT crown.  It was also the year that the Metro and the Great Midwest decide to merge and form C-USA, and the schools decide to not invite VT and VCU.  VT responded my scraping the Metro logo off their court, and then proceeded to win the NIT.

Do not tell me that Penn State is not happy about winning the men's NIT this year.  If you believe that then you never played varsity sports.  A trophy is a trophy and the real joy is the journey to that trophy.

Actually, the average person does not care about the women's NCAA tournament or the WNIT. 

True.

Until the football team mans up and learns to consistently win on the road, and that includes bowl games against BCS teams (cough, cough, the big choke job at the Sun Bowl), they will have to take a backseat to this women' basketball team.  They deserve seat at the head of the table in the new athletic dining lounge that Leavitt lobbied for all these years.

Please refer to your first quoted comment.

Do not tell me that Penn State is not happy about winning the men's NIT this year.  If you believe that then you never played varsity sports.  A trophy is a trophy and the real joy is the journey to that trophy.

Seriously, that is the first I have heard of the Mens NIT this season.  Penn State won?  Hmm.  good for them.  Didn't even realize it was over (or started).  the only reason we paid any attention to the WNIT is because our team was in it.

As Stan Heath about the NIT...

Again, still happy our girls won it.  It's a stepping stone, not an end to a mission.  Nor is it something for the yahoos to scream "Contract Extension!" over.  It's nice, but let's keep our minds about us.  There's still a bigger hill to climb.

• Content Count:  12,293

brad...who remembers the 13th seed from the south region last year?

atleast we can tell our recruits we WON something

Archived