• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spurrier to Dolphins? ESPN's reports...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

franks as our oc

please say no

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

SS will be the Gator coach. It is a done deal. All other actions are window dressing at this point. With all the cries of racism about not hiring a black coach, UF has to take this one step at a time to avoid looking like they aren't wiling to interview the slim pickings of black coaches who would even be able to handle the situation (hell-- there are few great coaches out there that can handle the situation, regardless of the color of their skin). Bama might have dropped the ball by not getting Croom (an alumni and talented coach nonetheless).

If Spurrier publicly (or evenly off the record) admits he wants the UF job, what AfroAmerican coach in his right mind would even waste thier time by going to an interview for the UF job.  It would be a complete waste of time & money to even consider the process.  Unbelievable if this is true.

BTW I know that sounds racist but I don't mean it that way one bit.  If UF wants SS and SS wants UF, why the need for interviews.  It is obvious to anyone SS should have that job.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  243

Before Spurrier, there were only about 140 Bull Gators. Now there are 615.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this moniker?

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

On 620 WDAE this am, they played a sound bite from Zooks coaches show and he said that with the talent that he has brought in that Spurrier would do well next year. They played it and everyone on the radio heard it.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

SS will be the Gator coach. It is a done deal. All other actions are window dressing at this point. With all the cries of racism about not hiring a black coach, UF has to take this one step at a time to avoid looking like they aren't wiling to interview the slim pickings of black coaches who would even be able to handle the situation (hell-- there are few great coaches out there that can handle the situation, regardless of the color of their skin). Bama might have dropped the ball by not getting Croom (an alumni and talented coach nonetheless).

He will not take Franks away from USF, although it was considered. Franks may become USF's OC next season though.

As we have seen, even the legendary Gibbs is struggling with Washington. SS might have been able to turn them around in the long run but the NFL is a grind far worse than any college job. I don't consider his time in Washington a total waste-- he got his cash and tried his system there. His system fits college ball, not the pros. So trying again in Miami would be kind of redundant. Wannstedt wasn't a complete failure with the Bears. He did manage to get them into the playoffs. But overall-- all these organizations we are talking about have had some rough water the past 5 years.

Mike, where are you hearing this?  I've never known you to be so adament about a certain point.  e-mail me, or message me to discuss.

I know there's still some bad blood between Spurrier and Foley, and Machen wants to open it up, and feels that he needs to talk to more than just Spurrier- which Steve also doesn't appreciate.  

Have they gotten over all this?  

P.S. Steve's system can work in the pros, it's a pro system (he took it from pro coaches), the problem is Steve was never much with adminstrative, and he learned the hard way about some personnel moves.   THe NFL has the slimmest margin of error so each player must be able to maximize potential, and that position.  

Guest Bull 94

Is Spurrier still being paid by the Redskins? If he is then will he have to give that money up in order to coach the Gators?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Is Spurrier still being paid by the Redskins? If he is then will he have to give that money up in order to coach the Gators?

No, he walked away from his money when he quit.  People thought he was crazy walking away from $5 million per year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Before Spurrier, there were only about 140 Bull Gators. Now there are 615.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this moniker?

The term "Bull Gator" is what is used to describe a male alligator.

Of course, we don't call our women's teams "cows" - the term for a female bovine animal.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5

bull gator...as in bull market...meaning gators who have money.