• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Proper attire at a USF tailgate/game

KyleC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Proper attire at a tailgate/game

Over the years as a student and now alumni of USF, class of 07, I have been a part of the fine autumn tradition called college football.  In my opinion, to get the full game day experience you must start out with an amazing tailgate (with plenty of brews, sweet tea, fried chicken, burgers, and Publix Key Lime Pie) and then transition to the game (hopefully a night game, they are more fun).  During this amazing experience, I fell like it can be cramped by someone who is definitely not dressed in the proper attire.  So I decided to write up what I believe should be proper attire.  Weather can definitely changes things up, but I am assuming that the weather will be great.  I will first start out with the proper attire for gentlemen, and then for the ladies.

Gentlemen

1. Never ever wear another school’s shirt or accessories.  It is not cool to wear anything related to UF, FSU, or Miami.  I don’t care if you grew up a fan.

2. Following on the first suggestion, never wear any other color other than Green, Gold (yellow), White, or Black.

3. Shirts are good, but make sure that they are plain with not too much stuff going on them.  Polo shirts are always winners, a solid green or gold polo is great (avoid the popped collar).  Button down shirts, such as oxford cloth button down with the sleeves rolled up twice, always is a good way to go.  Keep your shirts on, not a fan of the Beef Studs.

4. If you choose to go the button down route, always tuck your shirt in with a belt.  Also, this gives you the awesome opportunity to wear a tie.  I own a classy green/gold striped tie, but make sure the tie is the color of our alma mater.

5. Unless you are the father of a player, stay away from wearing jerseys.  Nothing says “I never grew up†like a 40something year old guy wearing a jersey, most of the time wearing jorts also.  You should have stopped wearing jerseys before college.

6. Khaki pants or shorts (I prefer plain front, but if someone wears cargo khaki shorts it is cool… but stay away from cargo pants).  Jeans are also awesome, just as long as they are not jean shorts or cargo jeans.

7. NO JEAN SHORTS (also called jorts); I can’t stress how much this is a bad idea.  Yes, I have seen fans from other schools (saw a few at the NC State game) wear them, but it really makes you look un-classy.

8. Sunglasses are a must!  You don’t want to be that creepy guy who gets caught checking out the fine USF coed talent.  A good idea is to get some Croakes (or some things similar, hell I have seen fishing line used) for your sunglasses.  I have found that it is extremely comfortable and convenient. 

9. Flip flops are a great idea.  When it comes to shoes, topsiders are what I prefer.  Tennis shoes are also a good idea, but look terrible with some clothing I described earlier.

10. Hats can be a good idea. Make sure it does not have a flat bill, you don’t want to look like some Rutgers Guido.  I prefer the bar hats, they are classy and will never go out of style.  Visors are also great.

Ladies

1. Never ever wear another school’s shirt or accessories.  It is not cool to wear anything related to UF, FSU, or Miami.  I don’t care if you grew up a fan or your boyfriend goes there.

2. Try not to wear any other color other than Green, Gold (yellow), White, Black or Pink.

3. Assuming that you have a great body (which is not rare at USF).  Wear any shirt that fit’s the best.  Unlike, us guys, a tight jersey is just fine, but make sure you are not just wearing a bra under it, that is just too trashy.  But for the more classy ladies, polo’s are also highly recommended, very classy.

4. But the best thing for a girl to wear is a nice sundress.  There is nothing better looking than this to wear.  It is classy and just looks great.

5. Pearls are also a great thing to wear.  This looks the best with a sundress, but also good with a shirt or polo.  Avoid wearing pearls with a jersey, not a good mix.

6. If you do not have the best body to wear some tight clothes, the sundress and pearls make you look much better.

7. Though it should be a crime for guys to wear, jean shorts can be alright and jean skirts and khaki shorts are also alright.  Regular jeans and khaki pants are always not a bad thing, but don’t get too classy with the pants (the last thing in the world we need are more Hillary Clinton's)

8. Sunglasses are a great idea, since you live in the Florida sun.  But avoid those HUGE sunglasses that cover 2/3rds of your face.  The gentlemen need to see what you look like.

9. Flip flops are a great idea (make sure you have nice feet though).  Or topsiders are also acceptable. Avoid the tennis shoes though.

10. When choosing a hat, go simple.  Never do the flat bill hat, you don’t want to look like New JOISEY garbage.  If you can pull it off, the cowboy hat is a good one.  Visors are classic.  But if you do not like hats, headbands are a great way to go. 

To conclude, what I am basically trying to avoid is us looking like sloppy UCONN, Rutgers or Miami fans.  I have seen many ascribe to the same opinion on proper attire at USF games (obviously a large number of girls are dressed in sundresses and look nice), but I have seen multiple people just look terrible, mostly the jort wearing.  In the great State of Florida, football is King, I think we should have a lot more respect for what is going on. 

Are you f***ing serious?  It is a **** football game not a business meeting.  Jesus you probably eat the fried chicken with a knife and fork, because you wouldn't want to get those pretty little girlie girl hands greasy would you.

Of course you are young you will learn...I hope.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Speaking of ties, I found this a couple of months ago.  I still need to buy one:

http://www.usfties.com

graphic.jpg

You would think a group associated with USF would actually put something USF on the tie... this just looks like any old green and gold tie. What makes it USF and not UAB??

The guy wearing it.

• Content Count:  2,277

I agree with what Jersey said.  This isn't a "southern" school.  This is Tampa, not a school in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc.  Wear your sundresses and buttondowns with ties up there.  Also, GREEN is the color to wear to games, not white, grey, black, pink etc.  GREEN GREEN GREEN!!!

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I Totally agree with the original post. The southern Tradition of College Football is what makes it great. Unfortunatly we do not have that at USF. Why does no one care about College Football in the Northeast. Because their college games are like low rate NFL games. If you go gave been to college football in the South, that is what it is all about. It is a little like going to church....and it is WONDERFUL.

Here are some Georgis girls.

georgiagirls.jpg

Here is another link to a nice picture.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QXtKR4y2Ig0/SLXWVkWlYNI/AAAAAAAAAis/PaEsjfTM9JU/s400/sundresses.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thepigskinpathos.blogspot.com/2008/08/prediction-time_27.html&usg=__bvHYLStZCKlyeG1Ge5piRtLigoQ=&h=300&w=400&sz=34&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=fR4kF3n4SsprOM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTailgate%2BSundresses%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

Can't figure out how to post the actual picture.

• Content Count:  971

These rules are straight out of the The Official Preppy Handbook (1980).  The thing about USF (good or bad) is that everybody is going to wear what they feel like wearing.  The Bulls Tent should be big enough for all fashion persuasions.  But, feel free to throw rotten eggs at anyone in another football-playing Florida school's jersey.  ;D

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I prefer to tailgate in the following:

1.  A sequined thong

2.  Cowboy boots (brown)

3.  A sombrero

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

I Totally agree with the original post. The southern Tradition of College Football is what makes it great. Unfortunatly we do not have that at USF. Why does no one care about College Football in the Northeast. Because their college games are like low rate NFL games. If you go gave been to college football in the South, that is what it is all about. It is a little like going to church....and it is WONDERFUL.

Here are some Georgis girls.

georgiagirls.jpg

Here is another link to a nice picture.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QXtKR4y2Ig0/SLXWVkWlYNI/AAAAAAAAAis/PaEsjfTM9JU/s400/sundresses.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thepigskinpathos.blogspot.com/2008/08/prediction-time_27.html&usg=__bvHYLStZCKlyeG1Ge5piRtLigoQ=&h=300&w=400&sz=34&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=fR4kF3n4SsprOM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3DTailgate%2BSundresses%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

Can't figure out how to post the actual picture.

The girl on the right is not that hott but she has some nice ta ta's.

• Content Count:  478

that list sounds like something for a bunch of southern frat boys and sorostitutes.  sorry, but even though we are in the geographical south, tampa is not the deep south.  no one will mistake temple terrace for oxford mississippi, athens georgia, or auburn alabama.  and anyone who has any sense will look at our student body and see that its extremely diverse and NOT filled with these southerners who are legacy kappa alpha order men and tridelta women.  so with that being said, have fun trying to make this the norm at USF.  i'll wear my jersey like over half the students that do that go to our games.  why?  because i dont adhere to that culture at sporting events.  i dress comfortable and wear school colors (obviously).

%7Boption%7D

funny. dad's a KA and mom's a tridelt. i am neither.

but seriously. Isn't a good rule just to dress for your body type??? Seriously. If you weigh 300lbs please don't wear a tummy bearing t shirt that looks like a half shirt. If you are a woman - please don't wear some boob-a-licious outfit or skin tight dress that will make you look trashy or something that will show your business all over the jumbotron. just use good judgment! It isn;t that hard. Some people like to wear tshirts - some dresses - get over it. who is anyone to police that. what is this china??!! ;)

that said - and the fact that it isn't china - if you want to wear some skanky outfit or show your tummy when you probably shouldn't - you have every right in the world to do so. :)

• Content Count:  5,241

The only attire you need at a tailgate is your schools colors and a cold beverage in one hand while a beer braut or burger in the other.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

What does Belle tailgate in? Throw a picture up, or do we need to check out your facebook page to see some scandalous tailgating photos?

And Jersey... I'll be keeping one eye open for a girl in the front row wearing a sundress while the other eye looking around for your brother who will want to slug me. Tell your brother since Shoop posted that photo, yesterday was the first day I missed the gym or didn't participate in some athletic competition (I'd be worried come September) :).

Archived