• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

new construction on campus?

IHuckItDeep

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Underused parking garage available for students

Jennifer L. White, News Editor

Print this article

Share this article Published: Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Updated: Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Despite students constantly complaining about the lack of available parking spaces on campus, one parking garage has an abundance of unfilled student spaces.

Manuel Lopez, director of Parking and Transportation Services, said he has circled around Lot 9C — located on the corner of Holly and  Laurel drives — and watched people drive right past the Laurel Drive parking garage.

“I would stop them and tell them that they can park there,†he said. “Some would use it, but the majority would just keep driving.â€

The Laurel Garage, adjacent to the Carol and Frank Morsani Center for Advanced Health Care, has six levels with four types of parking spaces.

These include 1,200 student spaces, Lopez said. However, about 900 of those remain unused on a daily basis.

The garage also contains reserved spaces, about 100 Gold Zone spaces and 205 spaces on the first floor for USF Health patients, said Joseph Jackson, director of managed care and clinical facilities for USF Health.

Spaces on the first floor of the garage were purchased, painted and set aside in August, he said.

“The spaces are paid for by USF Health at the standard reserved rate of $902 per space to the USF Parking and Transportation Services Department,†Jackson said.

USF Health spends nearly $185,000 annually to reserve the floor for self-parking or valet parking services for patients, he said.

“We pay what everybody else pays,†Jackson said.

Jackson said the University cannot afford to build a parking garage for only one type of permit.

“Garages are built for everybody,†he said. “X number have to be available for students, and so many have to be sold reserve.â€

However, students aren’t using the Laurel Garage spots.

Lopez said Parking Services has attempted to generate awareness of the available student spaces in several ways.

“We have put ads in the Oracle, displayed messages on our Web site, as well as frames in the lots surrounding (the garage),†Lopez said. “I even meet with Student Government frequently in an effort to make students aware.â€

However, despite Lopez’s efforts, Student Body Vice President Thomas King said he believes students do not park in the Laurel Drive garage because it is not close to most of the academic buildings.

“The point that I’ve really learned about students is that they prefer to park as close as possible,†King said.

However, students who do park there could take the Bull Runner, he said.

The next garage, which may be more convenient for students, will be built across the street from the Business Administration building in the lot between the Sun Dome and Campus Recreation building, King said.

“It’s going to feature food and retail space on the first floor for students,†he said. “It’s in the University’s five-year plan.â€

http://usforacle.com/underused_parking_garage_available_for_students

BTW, It's amazing how they wasted so much money on a new parking garage that nobody uses....

• Content Count:  1,037

I hope they will put restraunts and retail shops next to the sundome. Our student attendance (well not just them) at basketball games is atrocious. I think if more students were visiting that area of campus attendance would be better. Anything to make it the place to be during basketball season. If the sundome were closer to the dorms that would also help but that is not an option obviously....

• Content Count:  571

Anyone have any idea whats going to be built in what used to be the open grass area between cooper and the business building along maple ave? Noticed its been fenced off since we returned from winter break.

• Content Count:  4,642

the laurel garage isn't near anything, so i agree with the article in what they claim as the reason for why students don't use it.

• Content Count:  4,642

“It’s in the University’s five-year plan.â€

this is interesting, because on the master plan that is on the USF website, that building was originally in the Long-Range master plan, which is more like a 15 year time frame.  However, master plans are constantly being updated.

This could be in preparation for the bastketball facilities or something else, infrastructure-wise, that is going to depend on that parking garage.

• Content Count:  1,524
  • Days Won:  1

This is what is being built next to the sundome in the parking lot and why they were laying down piping across the road over winter break. Take a looksie...

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/FacilitiesPlan/Projects/SE%20Plant%20Piping%20Infrastructure%20-%20Road%20Closing.pdf

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I have one question about the new arts building. Where exactly are they putting it? I know where the fenced area is, but is that the spot or is that a staging area? Because where they have the fenced area now is part of the Green, which I've always been told will never be built on.

As for the Laurel Street Parking Garage, I think it will be used more once the USF Health building and Advanced Health care building is done. They're currently building a bridgeway between the two.

Plus, I think students need to realize we are spoiled when it comes to parking. You go to UF and there is no parking. They said on their tour there "When you buy a parking permit, you don't have a right to park, you have a right to hunt to park."  USF students need to realize that we have a great system in place with the BullRunners (although, sometimes unreliable in terms of time).

• Content Count:  16

The New School of Music is being built on the parking lot next to the Phychology building and across the street from the laurel parking garage on Holly Blvd. If you look at the map of USF it is the Parking lot labeled 9C. 

• Content Count:  684

The New School of Music is being built on the parking lot next to the Phychology building and across the street from the laurel parking garage on Holly Blvd. If you look at the map of USF it is the Parking lot labeled 9C. 

u sure?  the area thats fenced off isnt near that parking lot.. perhaps its a different project?

Archived