• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The "Overrated" chant

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

We are a top 25 school. We are a top 15 school. We just are inconsistant. Kansas who was in 13th Auburn who was 17 Wvu when they were top 10 two years in a row. Louisiville in the top 10 as well. We are a team that belongs. What don't you guys understand?? There are teams getting upset every week. We just sit back and say wow they suck they didnt deserve it...well we are a team that is going to get the worst team in college football's best effort. It is going to be a rough road from here on out. It comes with the territory. It might not seem like we are running on all jets right now but were 4-0 and we haven't truly played our best. I will take that any day. Let's get over the fact that people think we're overratted, or if someone 'almost beats us' because until it happens that all it was. College football is all about parody parity now and the team who wins regardless of style points will be there in the end.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOTR8, you are right that Top teams always get their opponents' biggest efforts.  The bullseye is clearly on USF's back.

But Top teams also put away lesser teams: Texas @ UTEP, Penn State @ Syracuse, etc.

We didn't... so, to me in 2008, we are not a Top 15 team.... yet.  USF has the potential to go undefeated and maybe even play in the national championship... but the way USF has played the last three games, it looks more likely we will go 8-4 and play in the St Petersburg bowl.

PS - Sorry for editing your post. But "parody" and "parity" have two wildly different meanings.

• Content Count:  1,894

no problemo....I hopefully got my point across. I would like to crush opponents like the rest of you but the fact is until we start calling plays to blow teams out than we will continue to do this. We committed to running with grothe under center when we fail at it all the time. Our strength is clearly in our wr's spreading it out right now and I find it hard to believe we can crush Kansas defense but decide not to pass on FIU. They got the basic gameplan and we didn't even execute that properly. We could of blown that team out. It had all the makings of a blowout. I just kept waiting for it to happen. There wasn't a point in three quarters where I felt they could score. It was all about our offense and we didn't play like we played at Kansas. I don't call us overratted because of it.

• Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  3

It is cleary the dumbest chant of any created.  We are overated and you had 0 points with only a few minutes left.  I hate when USF or any fans chant that, it belittles their own team who is losing to someone who is "overated".

That said we are 4-0 and still have a shot at some big things.  That is all that matters.

• Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

After a few hours to cool off, the "total meltdown" of this game came down to one mental mistake. With 3 minutes left in the game, the team had a mental collapse on the 1 and didnt line up with 7 guys on the line. Ford had a 15 yard run, and the game was effectively over at 17-0. Not the blowout on the scoreboard everyone expected, but the statisticall domination that was.

The play gets called back, FIU gets the safety, then gets good field position, and finally hit an open reciever, making this an 8 point embarrising win.

Its been said a million times, if the Bulls dont play 60 minutes EVERY WEEK theres going to be at least a game, and maybe up to 3 that we will drop. CJL needs to figure out what his team is doing wrong in the 4th Q, there is a reason why we hold the fours up going into it.

• Content Count:  2,363

When I was younger and Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat ruled the arcades, you would occasionally meet a competitor who was talented enough that you could never or barely touch them as they pummeled you. Occasionally, when you got a hit in--despite still being beaten handily--you would say "At least it wasn't a flawless victory!"

This is my analogy for chanting "overrated" in a game you lose.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I really hate that **** chant. I could see FIU chanting it IF they would of beat USF. However, they lost, so why in the hell even say anything!

Maybe because it's true ? ? ?

I understand that chant is meaningless, and I hate it when our fans chanted it against Kansas (or WVU last year)...

But in this case, it's clearly true.  USF is not a Top 12 team... I don't know if we're really a Top 25 team.

Ok Smazza.  After that game, we do need to prove that we are a top 15 team.  But after watching the KU game, and knowing that this team CAN be good.  I am still positive.

I didn't watch the game but from what I hear it just seems like it was mistakes and that we just played the wost we can.

Brian Bennett - ESPN Blogger has something similar to say:

What we learned in the Big East, Week 4

4. South Florida isn't dominant yet. It was easy to predict that the Bulls would suffer a case of the blahs at Florida International after two emotional games. But the 17-9 win over a team that had lost 25 of its previous 26 was more than just a letdown. Here's what Jim Leavitt said about the Bulls' performance:

"The mistakes we made offensively. Un-believable. That's junior high stuff. I know our players don't want to do that, we have to figure out how to coach them better.

We made every mistake you can possibly make. Could you make more than we did tonight? Boy, you'd have to work at it.

We just messed around the whole game, I don't know. There's no excuses, there really isn't. If we want to be a real good team, we have to find out a way to change."

USF won, but great teams take care of business and blow out these kinds of teams.

At the same time:

5. The race is on. South Florida, despite its poor performance, still remains the favorite in the Big East race. . . .

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigeast/0-1-151/What-we-learned-in-the-Big-East--Week-4.html

• Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

Certainly beats the heck out of NEVER RATED.

GO BULLS!

Archived