• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

After reviewing the tape...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

as was said Shoop...thank god you have no life and can do this so I can just read your analysis! :)

that being said great analysis and keep it coming.

also...I must throw out a thanks to shoop because he'll take the time to teach you the game if you're willing to learn...something not everyone will do. On one of the plays the flag got thrown and Shoop got to hear in stereo "Block in the Back!"...his gf and I both yelling out the correct penalty the second we saw the flag. He heard her and not me cause he's learned over the years to tune me out. I just think it's a great testament to what people can learn when others are willing to share their knowledge whether it's in person or on a message board - now back on topic!

You were...and apparently still are...DRUNK.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

as was said Shoop...thank god you have no life and can do this so I can just read your analysis! :)

that being said great analysis and keep it coming.

also...I must throw out a thanks to shoop because he'll take the time to teach you the game if you're willing to learn...something not everyone will do. On one of the plays the flag got thrown and Shoop got to hear in stereo "Block in the Back!"...his gf and I both yelling out the correct penalty the second we saw the flag. He heard her and not me cause he's learned over the years to tune me out. I just think it's a great testament to what people can learn when others are willing to share their knowledge whether it's in person or on a message board - now back on topic!

You were...and apparently still are...DRUNK.

I'm actually being nice to you and this is what I get? I'll remember that!

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

BigShoop:

Great write up. 

I understand your reason for skipping the Alverado topic.   :deadhorse However, I would like to hear your (and others’, of course) analysis on what the kicking situation means going into the Kansas game.  We know how it affected us against UCF, but how will it affect us in the bigger picture against KU?

As I stated in my explanation for choosing KU over USF in the contest thread, I have a huge fear that our inability to consistently convert field goals successfully will cause the offense to do everything possible to culminate each successful drive into a touchdown. This type of aggressiveness is probably good in theory, but in practice, it is the type of attitude that leads to demoralizing end-of-drive turnovers.  You can’t just take the option of the field goal out of a game and hope to win; yet, I feel that we are very close to that exact position going into the KU game and it isn’t good.

How do you think the kicking game’s current struggles will affect the overall performance of our Bulls on Friday night?  Thanks.

Im not shoop but heres my analysis on the kicking situation.....Maikon Bonani Maikon Bonani Maikon Bonani Maikon Bonani Maikon Bonani Maikon Bonani Maikon Bonani Maikon Bonani Maikon Bonani Maikon Bonani....I think you get the point. 

talk about a tough situation. Let me ask you this-- let's say we put in that true freshman to make a pressure packed kicked and he shanks it--- what will your response be "Teachey Teachey Teachey Teachey Teachey Teachey Teachey Teachey " ?

I'll go with whatever the coaches think on that one--- a new kicker isn't necessarily always a given problem solving manuever. Lord help Bonani if he is sent in there and chokes. All the kicker fanatics will be down on him too. It's a terrible burden to be the kicker. And all the while-- we have these experts picking apart a guy we recruited to replace our PUNTER, not our kicker. That he ended up being the PK is more about the failure of other players to meet expectations (i.e. Benzer) on the field and in practice (i.e. Bonani).

I've heard from people with ties to the team that Bonani has been doing very well in practice.  Im not just one of the goons around here trashes delbert at any chance.  Bonani was brought on to kick FG's so why not give the kid a chance to enhance a struggling part of our team?  Also good try at the straw man with the Teachey stuff especially when its well known that kid has a great leg but can't hit the broad side of a barn when it comes to FG's. 

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Delberado is a good punter.  he has a good leg in terms of power, but his accuracy leaves a lot to be desired and he is not consistent. [observations from Captain Obvious  :D]

Delbie has his rightful place on this team, but place kicking is not it.

i would have liked to have seen Bonani get some kicks against UTM or UCiF...

a close game against Kansas is not necessarily the time i'd want to try out a freshman place kicker.

• Content Count:  12,293

its clearly a mental thing withdelbert at this point.  and that is the worst problem a FG kicker could have.

its like a closer in baseball.  he can have the greatest "stuff" in the world but if you cant stare down the hitter and get him out with everything on the line then you become the 8th inning guy and make about 3 million a year less.

• Content Count:  1,777

You made some valuable points. Grothe does need to improve his passing skills, this has been a problem for a while now nothing new here. There were several times during the game when Gorthe will throw the ball behind the receiver or the receiver will have to slow down to catch the ball. Since this is the second game I will chaulk it up to not enough real time repetitions this year.

Running the ball, once again nothing new here. For both the offensive linemen and the running back a rhythm needs to be established.  Spacing out a RB carries does not thing the build their confidence in the game. Most running backs tend to do better with more reps.  Not sure why this is not happening at USF. Plancher obviously had the hot hand at the UCF game not sure why they went away from him.  A matter of fact Plancher and Kelly could have carried the load on Saturday, each should have had around 15 carries. I know they want to run Grothe but he is best when the pocket breaks down.

FYI

Taurus Johnson and Cedric Hill had excellent games.  (I think both guys should have a shot at the NFL)

• Content Count:  3,827

Running game

• Plancher gets essentially all the carries in the 1st half. Kelly gets the bulk in the 2nd half. [glow=red,2,300]Taylor...nonexistant[/glow]. I understand "going with the hot hand", but why not find out who that hot hand is in the 1st quarter, as opposed to waiting until the 3rd quarter to watch Kelly rumble his way down the field? And if you are going to "go with the hot hand", then shouldn't Plancher have touched the ball at some point after the 1st quarter?!
  • The USF offense is explosive when they are running the football on 1st down. It's amazing how easily they can move down the field if they run for decent yardage on 1st down. It put them in a rhythm and it makes Grothe look like an All-American throwing the ball.
  • I love the 3-back, Jumbo backfield formation. It creates options, and it makes the other team defend a bunch of things. We ran out of that formation 3 times: Plancher bounced it outside for a TD, PA pass which ultimately turned into a Grothe run, and an option to the right. The formation wasn't especially productive in this game, in particular, but it gives Grothe a lot of options...which is a good thing.

IMG_3782.JPG

This hit may have something to do with Taylor getting less action

Ok, so I miissed that...

• Content Count:  4,501

I think you will see Bonani kicking very soon.  Kid has the leg and the confidence.

Forget about pressurre on Kansas.  They thow the ball so quick it is almost impossible to get to their QB - he is very good.

Best we will able to do is make them one deminsional by shuting down their running game.

Probably need 30+ points to win this game.

• Content Count:  815

we need some turnovers--- we were starved of them last game

turnovers that our offense turns into points would be preferable...recent memory may fail me but I know over the years we would always hurt ourselve by getting turnovers that unless run back by the defense would only lead to 3 and out.

Maybe I'm making this up but one game didn't we have a turnover that was run back to less than the 5 yard line and we couldn't turn it into a touchdown? like I said my memory isn't what it used to be but this is what I seem to recall. - i'm thinking a few years ago, know it's not the exact same offense but still.

Cue the person who comes out with 10 statistics arguing against me and making me sound like an idiot....now

• Content Count:  894

we need some turnovers--- we were starved of them last game

turnovers that our offense turns into points would be preferable...recent memory may fail me but I know over the years we would always hurt ourselve by getting turnovers that unless run back by the defense would only lead to 3 and out.

Maybe I'm making this up but one game didn't we have a turnover that was run back to less than the 5 yard line and we couldn't turn it into a touchdown? like I said my memory isn't what it used to be but this is what I seem to recall. - i'm thinking a few years ago, know it's not the exact same offense but still.

Cue the person who comes out with 10 statistics arguing against me and making me sound like an idiot....now

Last year Jenkins had the pick that he returned to the 3 yd line against Auburn (I still think he was in on that return). We couldn't punch it in and Delbert missed a 21 yard FG.

Also against Rutgers, we forced a Rice fumble late in the 4th down by 3 that we recovered on their 40. That drive went sack, incomplete, incomplete, punt.

Archived