• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hillsborough High QB Decides Against USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

TAMPA - Hillsborough High junior QB Jarred Fayson no longer wants to be committed to a program he said is not committed to him.

Fayson verbally committed to USF last summer, but the Bulls' first junior commitment is no longer convinced he made the right decision.

``I'm still looking. I want to experience different things,'' Fayson said. ``If I don't have offers from other big Florida teams, or can't play for a big school out of state, I'll play for USF.

``I have a totally different outlook now. Before I wanted to stay home, but now I want to see what's out there and make the best decision for me.''

Fayson's change of heart occurred after the Bulls received a slew of quarterback commitments.

Monticello Jefferson County High's Carlton Hill, rated the nation's No. 9 senior quarterback, and Lake Gibson senior Matt Grothe committed to USF. Also, USF added Auburn transfer Courtney Denson, a SuperPrep All-American. All three will be eligible in 2005 - Fayson's senior year at Hillsborough.

``I'm not afraid of the competition, but I'd like to come in as a true freshman and have a chance to start,'' Fayson said. ``There are a lot more guys coming in a year ahead of me. They [uSF coaches] told me even though other quarterbacks will come to us, you will be our No. 1 guy.

``That didn't make me commit. It's my hometown and I wanted to play here, but I have to look at my future and see what's best for me. My options are still open.''

ODDS AND ENDS: OG Chris Carothers (ankle) missed his second consecutive practice Tuesday, but should return today, USF coach Jim Leavitt said. ... Brandon Baker is third in C-USA and 26th nationally in punting (42.7 average). RB Andre Hall is second in C-USA and 11th nationally in all- purpose yards (163.3 per game).

Anwar S. Richardson, Gregg Becnel

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  164

I hope he doesn't have his heart set on any of those other BIG Florida schools since last time I checked, they recruit at least 1 major QB a year.

Man, it's nice to have a glut at our future QB position.  Kinda wish I had a time machine right about now.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Nothing wrong with this kid thinking about things before committing but if he thinks we will be his "fall back" option I hope he doesnt get burned by that. He is only a junior so he will get to see the next class on the depth chart his senior year. By then we will either really want him or we will get another QB. This kid is suppose to be really good and I wish him the best of luck finding the school that is right for him.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

What a piss poor attitude. "Hey, if the big three don't give me a schollie or some out of state school, I'll just go play at USF." Take your skills somewhere else. USF doesn't need a player with an attitude like that... If you committ to USF, I hope you ride the bench more than I did and wallow in hell. You disrespected every player on that team that came to USF to make a difference and to make a name for USF. Our coaches never promise you'll be the #1 guy... they say you have the potential to be the #1 guy. Clean your ears out you whiny b-tch! I hope you end up in Gainesville and we stomp your ass behind QB's that want to take USF to the next level.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

I agree!  That comment about if the other Fla schools, all out of state schools, any JUCOs, etc, etc don't want me, then I'll go to lowly USF?  F@ck off!

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

``I'm still looking. I want to experience different things,'' Fayson said. ``If I don't have offers from other big Florida teams, or can't play for a big school out of state, I'll play for USF.

Then again, maybe you won't.  Hasta la vista.   ::goodbye::

Oh, to be young (and stupid) again.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

What amazes me is the lack of parental / coaching oversight when these guys open their yap and talk to the press.

Perhaps - and this is just a part of recruiting - coaches did tell him that he was going to be 'the man'. Then again, common sesnse would have to kick in and you'd realize that the University, not unlike the individual, is always shopping for a better deal.  USF has no intention of building a team around you. If there's a better QB who wants to play here, you get to ride the pine.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

I think he was going to be the "man" of that signing class but he's got to be on drugs if he doesn't think we are going to recruit other QBs, especially with our recent downturn at that position.  What does he think is going to happen at the other "big Florida" or "big out of state" programs?  Wake up kid, no school is going to stop their recruiting just for you, especially with the lack luster stats you've put up so far this year.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

This kid should keep away from the media with his asinine comments. Does he really think we would want him after making us sound like we'd take the big 3's sloppy seconds? It's a huge decision in this kid's life and he should definitely take his time in selecting a school, just do it without making any comments that burn some bridges.