• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

There is O'Leary....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

dang, UCF Fan Day sucked.

3500 > 200

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

dang, UCF Fan Day sucked.

3500 > 200

That has to be a joke, right?  No way CUSA champs only get 200 out there, especially with the facilities UCF has.

200 would be the players and coaches families alone. 

KL will correct this soon. 

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Well, it DID say the "crowd swelled".  It may have gotten up to 250 or 300... ;-)

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Here's a GREAT article from the Florida Today talking about UCF's practice/recruiting advantage over other state schools (using GOL's quotes from some article in Orlando):

Fay doesn't bother UCF

State's only college indoor football facility perfect in rain

http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080819/SPORTS/808190317

Fay doesn't bother UCF

State's only college indoor football facility perfect in rain

BY JOHN DENTON • FLORIDA TODAY • August 19, 2008

A bolt of lightning snapped in the distance and thunder popped as a heavy squall tore across the University of Central Florida's practice field Monday afternoon. But instead of the downpour signaling an end to practice, players simply scurried to a location just a kickoff away.

"Anytime you know you can make a right instead of a left coming off the practice field, it makes it a lot easier," UCF coach George O'Leary quipped, referring to the team's indoor practice facility.

See free link for complete article.

http://floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080819/SPORTS/808190317

I am glad you're proud to have the non-A/C indoor building with sheet metal siding.  I am not cracking on it, but suffice it to say it would probably be one of the last buildings the UCF Facilities Manager would want people in when there is 30-50MPH winds blowing through the area.  But I am sure UCF fans will talk about it's ability to sustain 150MPH winds, and sustain itself in 100ft tidal waves....the grass inside is Kentucky bluegrass, and the air, though without an HVAC is perpetually at 65 degrees F.  The walls are all laced with gold and amber to enhance the luster to recruits.

It's a perk, and you're proud of it so that's great for UCF fans.   

Who needs AC when you have giant turbines to create wind conditions? ;)

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

A recruiting "victory" is getting the player you want, period.  If you were recruiting a kid, gave an offer and they turned it down for another school, spin it how you want, but that's a recruiting "loss".

That is seeing clearly.

First of all.....I'm not knocking Floyd, but to suggest that this was a "recruiting loss" for USF is a BIG stretch.  USF has at least half a  dozen higher profile WRs it is chasing and interest from a bunch of kids of Floyd's ability. Furthermore, what exactly did Floyd "turn down"? USF has been VERY selective with its written offers this year, so did he have a verbal offer from USF vs  written from UCF? 

It also stands to reason, that if Floyd was higher on UCF's recruiting board, UCiF was going to spend more time with the kid than USF where he is much lower on our board.  Perhaps he figured out that UCF was simply more interested. You can't blame the kid for going where he felt most wanted. Good for him....

• Content Count:  2,239

A recruiting "victory" is getting the player you want, period.  If you were recruiting a kid, gave an offer and they turned it down for another school, spin it how you want, but that's a recruiting "loss".

That is seeing clearly.

First of all.....I'm not knocking Floyd, but to suggest that this was a "recruiting loss" for USF is a BIG stretch.  USF has at least half a  dozen higher profile WRs it is chasing and interest from a bunch of kids of Floyd's ability. Furthermore, what exactly did Floyd "turn down"? USF has been VERY selective with its written offers this year, so did he have a verbal offer from USF vs  written from UCF? 

It also stands to reason, that if Floyd was higher on UCF's recruiting board, UCiF was going to spend more time with the kid than USF where he is much lower on our board.  Perhaps he figured out that UCF was simply more interested. You can't blame the kid for going where he felt most wanted. Good for him....

You may be right.  However, there is still a small degree of spin there.  If you managed to land the kid, it would have been a recruiting "win".  Far too often, I see fans give the song and dance that a school didn't need/want him when he decided to go elsewhere.  Sometimes, it's proven to be correct(Joshua Jarboe turning down UCF), but most of the time, they could have used the player.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

You may be right.  However, there is still a small degree of spin there.  If you managed to land the kid, it would have been a recruiting "win".  Far too often, I see fans give the song and dance that a school didn't need/want him when he decided to go elsewhere.  Sometimes, it's proven to be correct(Joshua Jarboe turning down UCF), but most of the time, they could have used the player.

Not really... Back in the day, I would tout something like this as a win if USF pulled a kid over UCF.

Now, honestly?  If the kid picks UCF my first thought is that he must not be good enough to get playing time immediately at USF.  I know that's a biased line of thinking, but I never thought that way in the past.  I do now.

• Content Count:  88

the old curmudgeon, crotchety old man is at it again.....His quotes in this article sum up George O'leary better than any post or explanation.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/orl-ucfbeat1808aug18,0,3090796.story

"I have no control over those things," he said. "I don't worry about them. I really don't. There's a big building there.

"Instead of making a left, we'll make a right, that's all. We'll be all set. . . . We'll get practice in, you can book it."

O'Leary added that he is always concerned about the safety of coaches' families.

Ohhh did i say I didn't care and we're practicing anyway.  Oh I meant to say I do care about the safety of the coaches' families...oh and don't me forget the safety of my players I thnk...

talk about a crotchety ole ball coach, a hurricane coming through, there is almost no chance they'd allow him to practice in that facility if the winds get above say 40 MPH, and he doesn't care, no worries....'just shut-up, leave me alone, and stop asking me **** questions you stupid Sentinel.'  I must say this Limon reporter is doing a much better job capturing the essence of O'Leary than that Hightower kid ever did. If I ever read a quote by O'Leary that sums him up as a person it's this one above.  Keeping in mind that you know that last part, about his coaches' families, was made begrudgingly, and it was a obligatory response for fear he'd sound to obtuse, to much like himself. ;D ;D ;D

For starters, if you were there to actually watch the interview you would have noticed that he was smirking the entire time. You sound like an idiot.

Bien...you also missed the best part of the blog post. "UCF has great fans". So many great fans that they had around 200 of them show up to their fan day.

Sort of odd that they didn't show up in masse considering how important they say winning a C-DOA championship is for them. Is that the way you show thanks for a "great season" full of moral victories and a "championship"? A whole 200 fans......WOW!!!!!

"We have great fans," O'Leary said. Funny.....good thing O'Liar is good at lying.

Etc.

More than 200 people watched practice and the crowd swelled as players moved into the stadium to sign autographs and pose for pictures at UCF's Fan Day.

"We have great fans," O'Leary said. "They were great last year. They really made the stadium a great place to play in and we couldn't say enough about what they did.

200 showed up to fan day huh?  ::)  I was there and I can tell you that it was exponentially greater than that. FYI (since you want to go on pretending you weren't there) - there was a practice before fan day that some people came out to (primarily players' families and some fans). The fan base really showed up at 430-5 for fan day.

You guys are really pulling at straws here.

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

200 showed up to fan day huh?  ::)  I was there and I can tell you that it was exponentially greater than that. FYI (since you want to go on pretending you weren't there) - there was a practice before fan day that some people came out to (primarily players' families and some fans). The fan base really showed up at 430-5 for fan day.

Omni, don't be so sensitive.  Smile.

Cyber didn't make up the 200 number.  Must have come from a UCF article.  They should have consulted you with your head count first. 

With UCF's recent championship, indoor practice facility, shiny new campus and stadium, plus the new on campus bar, I would expect a couple thousand.

430-500 seems really low. 

• Content Count:  573

Omni, don't be so sensitive.  Smile.

Cyber didn't make up the 200 number.  Must have come from a UCF article.  They should have consulted you with your head count first. 

With UCF's recent championship, indoor practice facility, shiny new campus and stadium, plus the new on campus bar, I would expect a couple thousand.

430-500 seems really low.   

I think omni was referring to 430-5 start time.  Either way though.  I'm sure that USF would've had double or triple the 200 fans at their practice had it been open to the public on Fan Day.

Archived