• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another UCF player leaves the program...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I've lost count but UCiF has seen some more churn and turnover on their roster the last 6 months.

Redshirt freshman QB Nate Tice to leave UCF

UCF Coach George O'Leary announced today redshirt freshman quarterback Nate Tice is leaving the program.

"Nate Tice has decided to transfer from our program here at UCF in order to find an opportunity where he will receive more playing time," O'Leary said in a statement released by the university.

Tice is from Edina, Minn. He had a solid run during spring football, but true freshman Rob Calabrese appeared to jump ahead of Tice on the depth chart for the third-string quarterback slot during fall camp. Junior Michael Greco is the frontrunner for the starting quarterback job, while redshirt freshman Joe Weatherford is the likely backup. O'Leary said following this morning's practice he didn't want to discuss the starting quarterback job again with the media until he announces his decision, which will likely be Sunday or Monday.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

I can't fault him for leaving.  Being 4th on the chart with two being freshmen(I'm betting Calabrese redshirts) means that it may be very unlikely he gets to play.  At point, there were talks about him changing positions, but I guess he didn't want to.  I hope he does well wherever he goes.

• Content Count:  4,016

I can't fault him for leaving.  Being 4th on the chart with two being freshmen(I'm betting Calabrese redshirts) means that it may be very unlikely he gets to play.  At point, there were talks about him changing positions, but I guess he didn't want to.  I hope he does well wherever he goes.

I don't fault Tice for leaving.  Smart for the young man if he indeed wants to play QB, and he's probably angling for some coaching experience so it would be good to go where he can play a little first.

These departures to me are no big deal.  It's the wholesale off-season departures that always occur at UCF under O'Leary's tenure without even a whisper or mention.  Like now you see them now you don't, kinda odd.  We have walk-ons leave and the media talks it up, UCF has three star RB's leave and there is barely a sneeze.  Interesting.

• Content Count:  48

UCF should be more worried about the fact that they are relying on Weatherford as a QB.  He's not very good.

• Content Count:  4,016

UCF should be more worried about the fact that they are relying on Weatherford as a QB.  He's not very good.

He's certainly going to be a very green QB this year.  I think it's more of a statement that Greco hasn't beat him out yet.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,598
  • Days Won:  424

Looks like they're relying on Greco, for this year anyway ...

• Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Tice never should have been there to begin with.  He isn't a I-A level QB, and O'Leary should never have offered him a schollie.  This is what happens when the coach gives out schollies to personal friends...

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Tice never should have been there to begin with.  He isn't a I-A level QB, and O'Leary should never have offered him a schollie.  This is what happens when the coach gives out schollies to personal friends...

To be fair, UCF isn't a I-A level program.

• Content Count:  2,239

To be fair, UCF isn't a I-A level program.

This is not the way for people to take you seriously.

• Content Count:  677

Its a good move by Tyce.. he was never going to get any real playing time here.  He would have been #3 this year and likely #4 next year.. best thing he could do is move on. 

Archived