• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another UCF player leaves the program...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

_EI, Greco did not play much cause Israel had a better grasp of the playbook.  When Greco came in, it was always the same few plays.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

_EI, Greco did not play much cause Israel had a better grasp of the playbook.  When Greco came in, it was always the same few plays.

I saw that.

1.  Take Snap

2.  Run for life

3.  Get sacked

;)

• Content Count:  711

UCF should be more worried about the fact that they are relying on Weatherford as a QB.  He's not very good.

Well...he hasn't played yet...so we don't know.  His brother hasn't done too much, though.  But our QB position is full of ???!  Then again...it's not like UCF is having to replace an all-star or anything.

• Content Count:  4,016

Dawg, Greco did play a lot against us, more so then Israel, even if it was the same three plays.  Greco is really a stop gap for UCF until Weatherford, or Calabrese can get up to speed.  If you look over Greco's career it's been filled with below average QB stats, and coaches begging him to switch positions.  This started at his first HS, then he goes to Cardinal Mooney, where he was the best athlete on the field usually, NCST, PRCC.....he got beat out by Israel who by all admissions is not a world beater.

Here's my stance.  I've seen a ton of Weatherford play in HS.  Whereas he definitely lacks the athletic prowess of his brother Drew, Joe is still a very heady player, maybe more so then Drew for all we know right now.  But Joe is big and tall, he doesn't have a strong arm, but is fairly accurate, and he's athletic enough to scramble and make plays, not Greco type athleticism but he'll get the job done.  I believe Joe is winner though, he'll develop into a solid 1-A QB sooner rather than later.  I am a fan of the Weatherfords, good family.  If I am O'Leary UCF has two choices, 1. start Greco and continue using him as a stop gap until he feels completely comfortable with Weatherford...chances are you still lose some games even with Greco starting instead of Weatherford because of the freshmen RB's, and new OL, 2.  Or you break down and put in Weatherford knowing he's the future.  Sure you lose 1-2 games because it's FR QB and RB, but chances are the games you lose were probably were going to lose anyway early in the season.

To me, if I am in O'Leary's shoes it's better to get Joe going early, maybe it means you sacrific Miami, and USF games, but it also gives you a better shot to win C-USA because personally nothing Greco has EVER done at QB has demonstrated the moxie and skill necessary to be a good enough QB to manage this team and young offense through C-USA.   If he waits to long then you're either platooning Greco and Weatherford, again not good for Weatherford overall because it hampers his development and confidence, and if Greco isn't good enough to win the job now outright then he has no business of ever starting...or he waits until Greco faulters and brings in Weatherford, of course by then Weatherford is completely green and then you suffer more set-backs getting Weatherford up to speed in the meat of the season.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Dawg, Greco did play a lot against us, more so then Israel, even if it was the same three plays.  Greco is really a stop gap for UCF until Weatherford, or Calabrese can get up to speed.  If you look over Greco's career it's been filled with below average QB stats, and coaches begging him to switch positions.  This started at his first HS, then he goes to Cardinal Mooney, where he was the best athlete on the field usually, NCST, PRCC.....he got beat out by Israel who by all admissions is not a world beater.

Here's my stance.  I've seen a ton of Weatherford play in HS.  Whereas he definitely lacks the athletic prowess of his brother Drew, Joe is still a very heady player, maybe more so then Drew for all we know right now.  But Joe is big and tall, he doesn't have a strong arm, but is fairly accurate, and he's athletic enough to scramble and make plays, not Greco type athleticism but he'll get the job done.  I believe Joe is winner though, he'll develop into a solid 1-A QB sooner rather than later.  I am a fan of the Weatherfords, good family.  If I am O'Leary UCF has two choices, 1. start Greco and continue using him as a stop gap until he feels completely comfortable with Weatherford...chances are you still lose some games even with Greco starting instead of Weatherford because of the freshmen RB's, and new OL, 2.  Or you break down and put in Weatherford knowing he's the future.  Sure you lose 1-2 games because it's FR QB and RB, but chances are the games you lose were probably were going to lose anyway early in the season.

To me, if I am in O'Leary's shoes it's better to get Joe going early, maybe it means you sacrific Miami, and USF games, but it also gives you a better shot to win C-USA because personally nothing Greco has EVER done at QB has demonstrated the moxie and skill necessary to be a good enough QB to manage this team and young offense through C-USA.   If he waits to long then you're either platooning Greco and Weatherford, again not good for Weatherford overall because it hampers his development and confidence, and if Greco isn't good enough to win the job now outright then he has no business of ever starting...or he waits until Greco faulters and brings in Weatherford, of course by then Weatherford is completely green and then you suffer more set-backs getting Weatherford up to speed in the meat of the season.

I agree with your assessment, but I'd start Grecco just for all the reasons you've stated above.  It's a common held belief Weatherford wont be ready in the first few games.  UCF will lose the early games anyways.  So, start Grecco for 1.5-2 quarters then put in Weatherford for the rest of the game.  He'll get game experience, but won’t be attributed to the losses.  It'll help his confidence in CUSA play as he'll be able to have a good W/L record as a starter.

No reason to start him off 1-3 or 2-2.  I’d start him either for the UTEP game, or possibly the game following as the UTEP game it will be away.

That could give him 1-2 games starting before the Miami game where they could realistically have a chance to make some noise.  They won’t beat us or BC.  Hell, they won’t beat Miami either, but they should at least have the QB situation and freshman jitters ironed out by then.

• Content Count:  1,894

greco is only capable of running a couple plays anyway. He went to Cardinal Gibbons high school in Ft. lauderdale. If I was O'Leary.. I would just start the freshman and let him develop because by the time Greco puts it together it will be too late. He will not win for you this year or next. Let the freshman play and if you do lose the games you can blame the inexperience and we all know you guys need a good excuse.

Archived