• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Former UCF QB: Motivation far different than intimidation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Moffett wanted his relationship with his coach to look something like this:

walsh.jpg

Instead it looked like this:

n5109888_19468.jpg

Kidding aside, the NCAA needs to let players transfer without sitting out a year when their coaches quit or get fired.  This kid had his doubts concerning his role when GOL went to UCF but he stayed anyway . . . . as is almost always the case, his suspicions were true and now he 's just bitter.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Bear Bryant was 10x meaner and tougher than O'Leary.  In comparison, GOL is quite the compassionate coach.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Bad article.  Plain and Simple.  BTW, Moffet sucked.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Moffett needed to grow a pair and be a leader and he never did.

Cyber, go figure you would support any negative press.  I'm sure there are plenty of players who would speak different about O'Leary.  You're as pathetic as the Slantinel reporters who are just trying to destroy GOL at this point.  The smarter posters here see that.  The Slantinel is so desperate for business, they are resorting to tabloid journalism running stories with all anonymous quotes and an interview that was only realted because of the last sentence and that was forced in.

For the record, Moffett is sucking ass in AF2.

You think UCF news (good or bad) sells papers in Orlando? 

What would you suggest the paper do?  Ignore 4 current players accusing coaching staff and administrators of lying regarding accounts of a practice that resulted in the death of teamate?  Ignore an attributable interview with a former starting QB who claims GOL is verbally abusive and that he would discourage players from playing under the current coaching staff?  If I were a UCF fan I would be very intrested in the apparent lack of respect many current and former players have for GOL.  I think UCF fans should be upset, perhaps with the current and former players, perhaps with the administration, and perhaps with their coaching staff, but not with the newspaper.

The Slantinel is desperate for any business, so they get what they can.  The local news has a better chance selling than national stuff people can get anywhere.

What makes this look like a tabloidish job is that Moffett sucking and getting benched really doesn't have anything to do with Plancher, a good kid who worked hard and ended up with an accidental death.  The Slantinel(Hightower), maybe in an attempt to win UCF athletics over again but still attacking, published an article that showed Plancher passed 2 physicals, but UCF does not do EKGs on all their players as opposed to schools like UF, FSU and Tennessee(all mentioned).

It's no secret O'Leary and Moffett did NOT get along and he rode him into the ground.  Moffett, from what I heard, was quite the party boy and that landed him in the dog house, which only made things worse.  What this article failed to mention was that Moffett started over half the season in 2006(8 games) yet had worse stats across the board compared to Israel.  Moffett didn't win those close games in 2005, having Marshall and Walker(Smith didn't hurt) catch everything in sight did.

The Slantinel is after O'Leary, plain and simple to stir up business...and they will even use a kid's death to do it.  It's really sick.

Wait a minute....I thought all UCF players were saints? That is, isn't that the pretty portrait of these players your fans portray around the internet? I thought O'Leary didn't put up with "party boys", and would either suspend the kid of kick them off the team.

BTW, Moffett had a pretty good year in leading you to a bowl game, so completlely trash this kid's record is weak. BTW, do you think that Israel's stats are better b/c he played most of his games against bottom feeding C-DOA teams? What would have Israel done differently against UF, Pitt, USF and the other BCS teams that manhandled UCF? Nice revisionist take....

UCF fans are just upset that an ugly side of O'Leary coaching style is being shared with the media. O'Leary is an old school dinosaur, whose reputation of playing fast and loose with the truth doesn't buy him the benefit of the doubt. That is what happens when you hire a coach with baggage.

Bottom line: at least 4 UCF players went to the Sentinel with a different side of the story. Should the Sentinel ignore these facts so as not to upset UCFNation?  Do you honestly think its just FOUR current or former players that feel this way? Get real...otherwise where is the stream of players racing to O'Leary's defense.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

DP, are you really trying to convince yourself that the Sentinel is trying to sell papers and trying to go after O'Leary? I'll give you the Moffett article, but the initial article a couple of days ago is very damning to say the least. The local papers did the same thing here after Keeley passed away, so you shouldn't be surprised that the Sentinel is doing the same thing. It's unfortunate that they may have uncovered something that you don't want to read, but the Plancher family is certainly owed that much, especially if they did not get a straight answer from O'Leary.

What answer is there to give them at this point?  They don't even know how he died.

"Yeah, we had conditioning drills that are routinely done across the country and something went wrong."  Ummm..no

DP, I erased the Moffett portion of your answer because it doesn't matter to what I was getting at.

The answer to give the Plancher would have been the honest one. It doesn't sound like O'Leary gave an honest answer to the Plancher family about how grueling of a workout this was. By all accounts, O'Leary was not supposed to be particpating in this workout and the 4 players who have given their view of the workout have said he was participating and coaching, which is an NCAA violation if it is found to be true.

I'm sure the further autopsy tests will determine the cause of death, but the fact that players are saying that they could see Plancher in distress and nothing was done until it was too late does not bode too well for O'Leary. THat you try to say he is more compassionate than Bear Bryant is laughable. O'Leary's comment from the memorial service further proves that he is far from compassionate and very heartless to say the least.

I have not seen one comment from you in this thread (apologies in advance if you commented in one of the other threads) about what the 4 players said about what happened the day Ereck Plancher passed away. This is a pretty damning accusation from 4 people who stand to lose a lot if their allegations are found to be untrue. How many other players feel the same way that these 4 players do? This is getting ugly and the fact that you are trying to imply that it's a Sentinel smear campaign is unfortunate.

Potential NCAA sanctions are the least of your worries right now because this isn't going away anytime soon.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Moffet was a bad QB, plain and simple, and I think he's just bitter about his time at UCF. However, what I did find interesting is that, according to Moffet, UCF administration is afraid of O'Leary. The UCF situatiion looks like it will be an even bigger fiasco than what I had anticipated.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,473
  • Days Won:  13

Moffet was a bad QB, plain and simple, and I think he's just bitter about his time at UCF. However, what I did find interesting is that, according to Moffet, UCF administration is afraid of O'Leary. The UCF situatiion looks like it will be an even bigger fiasco than what I had anticipated.

The program is full of secrets

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

I'd take the player article more seriously if it wasn't all anonymous.  If anything, putting your name on the quote protects you cause the poop will hit the fan if the staff goes after you(if you are indeed telling the truth).  It's too easy to embelish if your name isn't tied to your quotes.  That's why I'm not buying it.  Could there be more to this?  Absolutely, but I need evidence, not anonymous quotes.

I've heard varying interpretations of the NCAA rule, so I'm reserving judgement on that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,598
  • Days Won:  424

I'd take the player article more seriously if it wasn't all anonymous.  If anything, putting your name on the quote protects you cause the poop will hit the fan if the staff goes after you(if you are indeed telling the truth).  It's too easy to embelish if your name isn't tied to your quotes.  That's why I'm not buying it.  Could there be more to this?  Absolutely, but I need evidence, not anonymous quotes.

I've heard varying interpretations of the NCAA rule, so I'm reserving judgement on that.

In some cases, like the bogus "We want Huggy" campaign here a couple of years ago, anonymous sources need to be taken with a grain of salt. In this case, however, the Sentinel writer would be familiar with the players on the team and I doubt would be duped by imposters or imbellishment ....

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Would you not submit an anonymous tip to a crime stopper line if you knew that, say, your neighbor's kid was being abused?

Anonymity is a good thing in this case... it allows four kids who are getting a free ride that they worked their asses off for to maintain that scholarship and continue their education without fear of retribution from a pissed-off millionaire.

Unless you actually believe that the four of them decided to get together and frame GOL, and practiced the lie so well that their separate interviews with the OS corroborated precisely.  That's plausible, right?  ::)

Archived